Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polish apartments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Polish apartments Reply with quote

For those who want to see a Polish apartment in a medium-sized city that rents for 1370zl (rent, cable TV & Internet) + utilities (about 650 in winter/450 in summer). It's 56m2, 3rd floor (American 3rd), 2 rooms, bath, kitchen, furnished *, about 100 meters from the center of the city. It has a bus stop 100 meters from the door, a tram stop another 20 meters further and the river (w/ a river tram) stop 150 meters away. Restaurants in all price ranges, grocery stores, Post Office, high ceilings, windows on both sides of the building, most overlook the central courtyard with basketball court and the Radisson Hotel on the other side. Elementary school across the street and down about 40 meters, Kindergarten in the courtyard but off about 60 meters.

* Furnishings include beds, comfortable sofa, armchair, kitchen table & chairs, work desk, wardrobes (4), bookcase, TV, sheets, towels, blankets, pillows, appliances - coffee-maker, microwave, toaster, fridge & washing machine.

Send a PM for the pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Infinite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, the only thing is, it really all depends on which part of Poland you select to visit. This is a city apt. most of Poland is rural with tons of small towns where prices are considerably lower. To give you an example, a small town, about 20,000 dwellers, I happen to teach there. A 70m apt in a fairly new late 90s/2000, that's three bedrooms, balcony, proximity to mountains, indoor pool within walking distance, buses to a major city [about 1hr ride], fresh air, fresh food, much lower prices of food etc.. etc.. will run you about 400PLN plus utilities, so you're paying about 750 in the summer and about 800 - 900 in the winter depending on how much gas you use to heat your place. If you're in an older building you might have a collective heat - water pipes, which will bring your heating bill to 0 Wink

Another example of the vastly different prices between regions - in Warsaw, you're looking at about 8000net for a sq/m of an apt. In small towns, it goes as low as 1000pln per sq/m. Poland is divided by an invisible network of boarders which separate the so called "Polska A" and "Polska B"; A being the region with higher level of industry and well developed infrastructure and B being the region representing the poor and underdeveloped areas. Polska B is mainly the Eastern regions bordering with the states which were separated from Poland after the second war, the so called "kresy" - "the confines/the edge". Property prices in the B section are extremely low, the difference is pretty absurd even. So if you're looking for a place in the eastern and south eastern parts, you might want to visit first. Also, architecturally the West is very different from the East. The West was German, industrial with mines and factories and East was mainly farmlands with no need for serious roads so it stayed underdeveloped and is still catching up.

That's just scratching the surface haha...
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.

You are absolutely correct that these things will vary wildly, but the point of this forum is to provide information on countries for TEFL'ers.

It's merely offered as one solid, current example of exact pricing, features possible, size, location, accessories and such. It's real and was done by someone fresh off the plane from another country without anything more than an internet-connected PC. No friends or school were involved, just get off your butt and git 'er done.

I would love to hear more about teaching in the smaller towns, the working situation, pay ranges, student attitudes and living arrangements (social life).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PeterParvo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the building have an elevator?
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't find many elevators in buildings under 5 stories unless they were built within the last 10 years. This building is preparing to install a small elevator (about 3' X 5') within the next year. Personally, I like the two flights of stairs, forces me to stretch the legs a bit more than simple walking.

Newer construction is available, at a price.

Again, this is just to help people get an idea of what sort of housing is available at a given price point.
NilSatis82

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
You won't find many elevators in buildings under 5 stories unless they were built within the last 10 years.

Actually, a lot of new blocks of flats built in the last 10 years or so are only 4 storeys high, partly because of this reason. There is a law in Poland that states that a lift must be installed if there are 5 or more storeys, hence why so many are built with only 4.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
charlie456

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once I did the conversion it appears a very cheap price place to pay to live there.

Now look at this internship. It is expensive to go on around $1600 nz dollars, well it's between $1600 to 1700 - exact price in my email, I can look it up if someone is really keen, but it is around this.
This is upwards of 950 euro.
It pays a stipend as much as this accommodation costs and provides its own accommodation for the intern teacher for 6 months.
Intern teachers must also pay their own airfare. It is open to non-EU English native speakers like me (NZ).
But it's ridiculous!
http://www.i-to-i.com/teaching-internships/poland/

I now think Poland may be able to source affordable living for teachers from this apartment facts, however joining a programme like the one I've linked to isn't the way.
I know the way is a CELTA.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each their own.

Remember that for those who wish, splitting a flat is another way to increase your discretionary spending amount.

People find ways to do things.

Currently the US is looking for an English teacher for a one-year contract at $25,000 plus benefits.

Schools are starting to think about looking for next year's teachers or at least deciding which ones they will and will not invite back.

Opportunity is everywhere if you keep your eyes open.

Re: That Link

Interesting program. You buy a ticket from NZ to Poland, take their TEFL class, intern/teach for 6 months, receive a private bedroom in a shared apartment, receive a 1500zl stipend, receive a TEFL cert, potentially score a regular job with Speed School and a settlement of 1000 zl at the end of the term.

Is that about it?

Interesting offer.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
To each their own.

Remember that for those who wish, splitting a flat is another way to increase your discretionary spending amount.

remember that this is only an option for those without a serious girlfriend/boyfriend/fiance/fiancee/spouse, and/or those without kids, or those that don't want to live like they're back in college, or someone that simply enjoys their privacy and doesn't want to ask some random Pawel if it's OK to watch Discovery channel tonight because you've had about all the footie you can stomach. as a foreigner you will have no idea what kind of person you're about to shack up with, even if your circumstances make living with someone in an itty bitty apartment an option.

when you get older and enter big boy life, you grow out of that option.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

I agree Dynow.....I once made the mistake of renting a room in a flat for the summer. I thought that as it was only a 2 month thing it would be fine. The Polish guy I lived with for that spell spent every moment of his free time listening to Polish osiedle rap, getting smashed on voddy and smoking dube with his mates. I left. My fault entirely but a lesson learned.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For social people who aren't tied down with a spouse or kids, I think it's usually an advantage to share a flat in a new country or city. Once that initial few-week honeymoon period wears off, living alone can get pretty lonely.

Yes, it's a bit of a roll of the dice to see if you'll get someone 'normal', but you can always move out if they suck and the stories you can tell later about your crazy roommate be worth it!
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
For social people who aren't tied down with a spouse or kids, I think it's usually an advantage to share a flat in a new country or city. Once that initial few-week honeymoon period wears off, living alone can get pretty lonely.

Yes, it's a bit of a roll of the dice to see if you'll get someone 'normal', but you can always move out if they suck and the stories you can tell later about your crazy roommate be worth it!

I have no faith in the roomie process unless two (or more) people who know each other have enough history to understand each other. Heck even then you're going to have some tense times. I wouldn't accept a selected roommate after moving to another culture but splitting a place after you have gotten your feet on the ground and met some folks works well enough. I moved to Baku, got my own place and then offered a split to one of my co-workers who was unhappy with his company-obtained apartment after 3 months. Good guy, worked out well.

I think the employer is crazier than the people though. It just gives the teachers one more thing to blame their employer for in the "This Place SUCKS!" rant.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

When I lived in Kuwait we got given these beautiful shared apartments. Unfortunately my Scottish room mate was a manic depressive, threatened suicide and was a complete ass called Vance. Agree with you Ecocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: