Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kuwait-New and Improved?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

These days life in Kuwait is...
unbelievably exciting and "fun"-WOW! I Love it here!
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
not overly exciting, but not bad either
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
not so great-fairly depressing
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
hell on earth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Gnocchiman

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Kuwait-New and Improved? Reply with quote

This comes from a conversation I had with some friends who still live there. They say that Kuwait is now a lot more "fun". I find it hard to believe, so I thought I should poll the experts.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Kuwait-New and Improved? Reply with quote

Gnocchiman wrote:
This comes from a conversation I had with some friends who still live there. They say that Kuwait is now a lot more "fun". I find it hard to believe, so I thought I should poll the experts.

The only people I knew who ever thought Q8 was fun were the hard-drinking, all-night-partying types.
Gnocchiman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only people I knew who ever thought Q8 was fun were the hard-drinking, all-night-partying types.

I know! Me too. But these friends are not at all the hard-drinking partying types. That's what has me so darn confused!

Have Kuwaitis lost their "superiority complex?" Has the Al Sabah family turned into a bunch of body snatchers who have taken control of my friends? Is pork now available in places more respectable than the back of Korean lingerie stores? Or, now that Bindair Dundat brought it up, have my dear friends finally given up and are now hitting the homemade "wine" a little too hard? Or...and this is a stretch...has Q8 actually changed for the better? Please, experts, speak!
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that they finally allowed non-alcoholic beer a few years ago.

It was surreal to buy contraband alcohol-free Barbican smuggled in from Saudi at double the price.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr Gnocch,

It sounds to me like your friends may have just lucked into a batch of like-minded people. Something that can happen anywhere now and again. (and then just when things are going well, half of them leave for greener pastures in another country)

A friend of mine who has lived there for many years now is talking the opposite line. She is getting fed up with what she sees as a major decline in lifestyle.

VS
(somehow with the Gulf currently awash in $41 per barrel petrodollars, I have problems seeing the Kuwaitis losing their superiority complex, but perhaps I am just overly pessimistic Wink )
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnocchiman wrote:
But these friends are not at all the hard-drinking partying types. That's what has me so darn confused!

I'd like to know just what these people are up to that is so darned much fun. Maybe it's time to send someone to investigate.

VS? How about you?

BD
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaarrrrrgggghhhh.... not that.... anything but that... oh please, no... excuse me while I go slash my wrists.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

VS
Gnocchiman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

Please don't do anything rash! I'm Sure Bindair was joking!!! Take a couple deep breaths...there there...nobody is sending you back to that place...everything is going to be okay....

Maybe my friends just got a hold of some of Stephen's Barbican alcohol free beer that went bad-fermented or something. Cool

VS Wrote:
Quote:
A friend of mine who has lived there for many years now is talking the opposite line. She is getting fed up with what she sees as a major decline in lifestyle.
Wow... now I'm really confused...It can get worse????? Shocked
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew -- I made myself a cup of hot chocolate and now I am fine.

VS

On a slightly more serious note, I have friends that enjoyed their time in Kuwait. The Gulf is the type of place where you have to create your own 'fun.' My negativity towards the place is about 50% a terrible job situation and 50% hating the Kuwaiti bureaucracy. I guess I was spoiled by the ease of dealing with the Mogamma in Egypt. (a joke that will only be understood by those of us who lived in Egypt. Smile )
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
My negativity towards the place is about 50% a terrible job situation...

VS, I'm shocked! You had a wonderful job situation -- why, you had the honor and privilege of working with me!

That must have slipped your mind. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bindair, even the pleasure of your company did little to overcome the negatives ------ but you already knew that. Cool

VS
localkuwait

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: kuwait Reply with quote

hi there- Just wanted to add a few comments about life here in Kuwait. It is what you make it. Being an American married to a Kuwaiti, and a local hire, I have seen a stream of people come in and out of the schools here the past 13 years. There are the people that come here to make money, and make tons of it, tutoring every day after school and staying home. They quickly pay off their loans, but complain about life being so boring. They have never been to the cinema, taken the ferry to the island, gone camping, rented or bought a car and driven around. There are teachers that come and buy a car and get out and do stuff and are happy. There are lots of unhappy teachers in Kuwait, because anyone that has worked in a school here, knows they are not educational institutes. They are a BUSINESS ! The owners make lots of money. A tour of at least 90% of the campuses is proof of this- overcrowded, small rooms, no gyms, no playgrounds, gross bathrooms. I think a lot of people that are unhappy here, are so because they sign a two year contract and the local end isn't upheld, and teachers don't know how to navigate the legal system, believing their 'sponser' can deport them at any moment. Which, does happen at some schools here- teachers do disappear over weekends.
I am pretty happy here. I have friends outside of my work, I don't live in the dormitory style housing most teachers are put up in. I go out and have fun. Hard Rock Cafe just opened! Living overseas is an adventure, or we would all still be back in our home towns. Make the best of where you are!! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: