Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it 'Transition Time' in Qatar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronimo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Is it 'Transition Time' in Qatar? Reply with quote

There is mounting speculation that the Emir is planning to step down
and hand over power to the Crown Prince....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/22/qatar-emir-gulf-rulers-for-life?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487#start-of-comments

Is it 'Transition Time' in Qatar?

Geronimo
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be shaping up to be even more seamless than when the current ruler usurped the throne while his father was on vacation. (Dear Dad... don't come home!!)

The articles I've read suggest the son is more conservative.

An article I read lately on this mentioned the changes in education in the country and suggested that this prince has something to do with it. Have you seen anything on this Geronimo? I was traveling when I read it and don't recall the source...

Interesting times...

VS
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The articles I've read suggest the son is more conservative.

An article I read lately on this mentioned the changes in education in the country and suggested that this prince has something to do with it.

By "changes in education", are you referring to the change to Arabic-medium instruction?

I'm not yet in Qatar, but will be moving there soon. Of course no one can see the future, but I'd be interested to hear what those of you who are familiar with Qatar think might change along with the new, "more conservative" emir.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was around the Gulf when there was a change of ruler in Bahrain... Qatar... Saudi... and the UAE. There was pretty much -0- effect for us expat TEFL teachers. I don't expect that there will be anything to notice now either.

The only change that worried me at the time was the UAE. There was some concern about whether the country would hold together without Sheikh Zayed, but as I said, there was really no discernible change for TEFLers.

VS
Geronimo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's a new Emir in town...
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/06/2013625516403468.html

In response to your query above, VS, I've sought an indication of the new Emir's views on education policy.
I've taken a look at a few of his speeches at:-
http://www.diwan.gov.qa/english/heir_apparent/heir_apparent_speeches.htm
to seek out some clues.
His speech back in March 2004 at the opening of the "Forum on Education for the New Era" offers up an insight or two into his outlook on education policy.
Here is an excerpt...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In recent years, Qatar has implemented a multitude of social, economic and political reforms, all intended to enhance growth and development of the Qatari society. Because of the vital role of education and its extensive impact on all aspects of development, the success of the reform plan in its broad sense, could only be realized by the simultaneous upgrading of our educational system.

As His Highness The Amir always emphasizes, our country is rich in natural resources but our most important resource is the Qatari citizen in whom we take care and pride firstly and lastly. Without a well educated citizen, we cannot compete in globalization and world economy.

Therefore, our ambition and keenness on linking education with development, requires in the first place that our schools must provide our children with the adequate skills that enable them to participate actively in the economic and social development. Skills such as critical thinking, communications, creativity, teamwork and problem-solving have become basic skills in modern education. Therefore, they should be considered as important as reading and writing.

In transforming our public schools into a modern, high quality, world-class system, we are guided by four principles: Autonomy, Responsibility, Variety and Choice. Each one represents a unique characteristic being introduced into the Qatar school system. These four principles will contribute to laying the foundation upon which we can build the educational future in Qatar.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

With the passage of time these elements will integrate and open wider horizons to reform our Qatari school which reflect our values and traditions, while at the same time the parents will have the right to choose the school which they want their children to attend.

In the short run, the impact of the education reform plan will be deeper and more comprehensive, as teaching in the independent schools will be according to international standards. Our schools graduates will be able to compete for admission in most prestigious universities and colleges, whether locally or abroad. In the long run, our citizens will achieve the highest standard of efficiency and motivation and will be equipped with the necessary skills and expertise for their success in their various jobs.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As you see, the educational reform process, as much as it is necessary, vital and urgent, it is also complicated and deep. It surpasses form to content and requires patience and a lot of innovation and creativity.

Thus, the launching of the initiative of Education For a New Era, will provide us with an opportunity to be closely familiarized with the features of the reform plan and discuss its elements. The success of the plan requires the contribution of every individual and family in the Qatari society.

Today, I urge every one of you, citizens and leaders, to support this project which is the project of all of us, and commit ourselves, individuals and groups, to undertake this great task successfully.

Once again I stress my deep conviction that through “Education for a New Era” we will be able to establish an educational system that is not limited to learning only but will motivate our students to be innovative and creative to ensure a bright and prosperous future for our country, with God’s will.

The Heir Apparent has been the Chairman of the Supreme Education Council and also the Chairman of the Board of Regents of Qatar University. So, to my mind, a radical departure from previous educational policy would appear to be unlikely.

Additionally, as HH Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, took his 'A' Levels at Harrow School in Middlesex, and later graduated from Sandhurst, he has probably been influenced by British education and training policy.

I think that Jane Kinninmont's points about the implications of the manner of the transfer , in her recent "Guardian" article, are well worth further consideration, especially now that the transfer of power has been confirmed.

"Demonstrating that a ruler might choose to retire, rather than dying in office, is yet another controversial step. It would have a profound psychological effect across the Arab world."

Geronimo
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Demonstrating that a ruler might choose to retire, rather than dying in office, is yet another controversial step. It would have a profound psychological effect across the Arab world."

I couldn't agree more...

One wonders about his awareness of the situation at QU and the near disastrous process and the continuing chaos. With his extensive study in the UK, you would tend to assume that he sees the need for strong English skills for a significant number of his subjects.

VS
Geronimo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some illuminating commentary on developments...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/qatar/10141245/Qatar-new-emir-new-broom.html
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, here is Frank Gardner's take on the
ironies of Qatar's current set-up...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23098220

The Taliban opted for the City Centre Mall, apparently.
Maybe after Gardner's BBC report they'll switch to Villagio's Mall.

Geronimo
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar's assistance to the MB in Egypt is ruffling many feathers there. Latest rumor is that al-Qaradawi has arrived in Egypt on a Qatari passport... another rumor is that he has been pushed out of Qatar. Of course, rumors are the lifeblood of the Middle East. I can't find any English new source reporting this.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: