Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Secondary teaching credential

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Secondary teaching credential Reply with quote

I am a high school teacher in Arizona. I teach history and biology. I know everyone will say "get an international school job". But from my research those are very, very competitive to get. I'm not saying I couldn't find one, but teaching English might be easier to get my foot in the door. So my question is do,any of you think my qualifications would help me land one of the better esl jobs? Also, I have both arms sleeved with tattoos. It's not a problem for me here (it helps that they look like colorful art and not gang or prison tats), but I wonder if that would be a deal breaking barrier there. If I have to wear long sleeve shirts, is that hell in the heat there? I appreciate any advice or insight anyone can offer. Thanks.
p1randal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wonder the same thing. I don't have the issue with Tattoo's but I do have the same curiosity in terms of education. I have a B.A in English & Spanish and an MA Tesol. Anyone know if it is possible to teach at International school with an M.A or do you have to be "certified."
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would probably have a problem with pretty much any school in Indonesia with tattoos. Most schools are owned by Chinese/Indonesians and you would definitely have to wear long sleeve shirts. Having said that, most schools have A/C as it gets pretty hot here.... Still, it is a wonderful place to teach and live, especially when you can speak a bit of Indonesian... Smile
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For P1 Randal... You generally need a teaching certificate for the mainstream International Schools, there are a few on the border of being National Plus - International, that would probably accept you. There are also a bunch of National Plus and National Schools that hire western English teachers. Smile
chezal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to teach in an ESL school when you can get into an International school? Yes it maybe harder to get into the top ones but it's much easier to get into the local international schools (eg teach IB/iGCSE's but mostly indonesian kids).

The pay and the benefits of an international school far outweigh the hassle of getting into an international school.

For example I used to get about 10 million rupiah a month as an ESL teacher.

After qualifying as a secondary science teacher at home I now get 30 million + a month plus housing etc. No brainer for me.

Also bare in mind many international schools don't count ESL teaching experience in language mills as international teaching experience. I've heard that many principals view it negatively if you have gone back to ESL schools from mainstream teaching/international school teaching as they wonder if it's because you weren't capable of getting a proper teaching job. Pretty much how many view supply work too.
p1randal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole idea of "Proper Teacher" and "Certified Teacher" somewhat puzzle me. I got a job in Serpong which I start next week. I do know that I would make far more than the 14mil I am making at a International School. Yet for the life of me I don't understand why the fact I have an M.A in Tesol doesn't trump someone which a B.A in (given subject) and has passed the (In the U.S.A's case) State Test. I am considering going back to school to get another "Bachelors" taking the same classes I have already taken at the Grad Level simply to satisfy some strange requirement.

Maybe I am alone but I think an M.A- In particular (Applied Linguistics or TESOL) would make you sufficiently trained to teach English at an International school.
MrWright

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, with my teaching license would I still not be able to teach ESL because my degree isn't in English?
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing very satisfying to the human mind about the phrase "it all depends". Having said that, it all depends.

There are schools which employ teachers without the right degree or any degree. When I was managing a school in Jakarta I encountered both black market "Photoshopped" degrees and CELTAs etc. I didn't accept people who were using these faked documents but I am sure most employers have few qualms. (Wall Street has gone the legal route, but many others haven't). Does Immigration check them thoroughly? There might be meaningful checks in Korea and Thailand, but there aren't in Jakarta. The large school chain Penabur employs many English teachers whose degrees are in Politics, Accounting or other unrelated subjects. So yes, it happens. No, it isn't impossible.

Having said that, things have tightened up in recent years. There was a guy on here who was turned down from EF because he was under 25. EF? A few years ago half their teachers were under 25. Schools aren't able to flout regulations with the impunity they once were.

If you want to work in Jakarta, apply for jobs and see how it goes. There is a concrete not an abstract problem. You only need 1 school to accept you in the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: