Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

most complete on-line school list in universe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome! Smile

So, what kind of hours are possible online? Is this something that might get 5-8 hours per week, or is it possible to work towards 20 hours or more? I know this depends on availability (I am available evenings and weekends for most Asian cities as I would like to work in the day here in Montreal).

I need to put my children into daycare a few days per week in order to teach, so I'm not sure how this is going to pan out Laughing
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none

Last edited by inotu-unotme on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
You are welcome! Smile

So, what kind of hours are possible online? Is this something that might get 5-8 hours per week, or is it possible to work towards 20 hours or more? I know this depends on availability (I am available evenings and weekends for most Asian cities as I would like to work in the day here in Montreal).

I need to put my children into daycare a few days per week in order to teach, so I'm not sure how this is going to pan out Laughing

With Open English you are required to work a minimum of 15 hours a week, with more hours almost always being available. The exception would be from late November till early December, as the student population drops because most people in Latin America (which is the target market) have lots of vacation time and there are lots of different things going on.

In terms of pay, as someone pointed out, it is relative to each personĀ“s situation. For me, I live in a small town in Mexico, where my hourly pay is what most people earn in a day. I save more than half of what I make, and live very comfortably. But in the US it would be just above poverty level in most big cities.
hollysuel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
You are welcome! Smile

I think it depends on the needs of the company. The company I run does not give many hours, but in a few months we will be able to offer everyone from as little as two to as much as thirty hours depending on availability and experience/skill(which is exciting for the teachers who have been with me for 2-3 years). If a teacher is fairly new to live online, I would not give them very many hours until he/she has proven he/she is a responsible, quality teacher.

Right now, I only hire teachers for one hour a week and they need to prove themselves with that one hour. Do they come on time? Do they teach? Are they prepared? Are the students satisfied? Do they have to be micro-managed? What is their attitude? Personally, I've only had one teacher not make it past that initial screening. The teachers who do well get more students as time goes on. Keep in mind, teaching live online should not be the only "egg in one's basket" so that is why I take it slowly with teachers and make sure I can trust them. Most of the teachers I've hired so far have stayed with me for quite a long time...
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none

Last edited by inotu-unotme on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: write offs... Reply with quote

Has anyone written off anything for on-line teaching? I talked to a tax person about writing off at least part of my new computer. Has anyone written off anything else like internet fees, desk, office space in apartment, etc?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are inside the US, most costs surrounding a home business are write-off-able, including high-speed internet, equipment, home office space and furnishings, and etc.

I did it for the last six years I lived in the States, but that was 21-15 years ago now.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none

Last edited by inotu-unotme on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
hollysuel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: write offs... Reply with quote

I write everything off as it is used for a home-based business.

inotu-unotme wrote:
Has anyone written off anything for on-line teaching? I talked to a tax person about writing off at least part of my new computer. Has anyone written off anything else like internet fees, desk, office space in apartment, etc?
hollysuel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started teaching online in 2006 when I lived in Finland and had an accountant who wrote everything off based on the business.

What I've written off in both countries:

computer
headset
webhosting
desk
chair
security software
virtual classroom software

Basically anything I use for business!

inotu-unotme wrote:
I know I didn't say. My post was geared towards write off's for on line teaching when your living and working abroad.

A write off discussion might should be a totally new post. But, I was talking about teaching on-line write off's specifically therefore theres a connection. If anyone has any specific things they wrote off in last couple years for on-line abroad teaching I think a lot of people would be interested.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollysuel - Thank you for your reply! Specific info is always cool to get when its available.

I also wanted to ask anyone out there if they have written off a percent of the size of a room you have your teaching desk and computer located? Or, if anyone has a 2 room and has written it off completely? I think the thing that concerns me is that I would be living and working abroad. So, I don't know how easy it would be to prove things or if it would work different for me.

My accountant has said in the past if you write off an extra room you need:

1. an official receipt from paying apartment rent every month.
2. pictures of inside of apartment proving layout and that there is in fact 2 rooms and 1 entire room is dedicated to being your office.
3. a picture of your specific desk set up with computer.

I was also told to write off a percent of the apartment in which you don't have a dedicated room for your office you need:

1. an official receipt from paying apartment rent every month.
2. pictures of inside of apartment proving layout showing where exactly in room dedicated work area is located.
3. a picture of your specific desk set up with computer.

If anyone has done this type of write off while living abroad I'd be interested to know if theres any obvious information thats missing.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are counting it as foreign earned income, it is highly unlikely that you will need any write-offs as expats pay no tax on income earned in foreign countries up to the equivalent of 80,000 (+/- as the exact figure changes every year). There is a presumption that you will pay local taxes on income earned in a foreign country.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The write off I'm referring to would be considered foreign income. Taxes are not my 'thing.' So, its kinda like ballet dancing in the mud for me.

I know I don't 'need' to write off certain things. But, for myself and others out there it may be of interest if you 'can' write certain things off. Taxes are never simple and black and white. I was just wondering if any on-line esl teachers out there have attempted to make a write off for dedicated workspace.

And by the way:

If anyone knows of any on-line schools located in Middle East I'd be interested in adding them to the on-line school list.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

For the US tax forms: you will not need a write-off unless you earn more than the equivalent of 80,000 USD in one year (unlikely).

For whatever foreign country you live in, you must pay taxes. Write-offs, like all tax laws, vary dramatically by country, so no-one can tell you what you will be able to write off living in XYZ country.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work online from home in the UK (unrelated to ESL). I had the option of declaring a room of my house as 'work' and writing off a variety of expenses. I didn't need receipts for rent, but I did need photographs to document the room I used as a study.

However, had I done so, my home would have become a part home/part business property. I'd have been left liable to other taxes in the long term (e.g. capital gains tax on the house value). I would also have needed two insurance policies, one for household and one for business.

I went through the figures and the potential negative consequences far outweighed the benefit of writing off expenses so I didn't do it.

I would suggest anyone considering doing this checks the laws very carefully, in whichever country is applicable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: