Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching on-line from North America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
open chakras

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Teaching on-line from North America Reply with quote

Hello, I would like to teach English on-line from my home. I see a lot of ads for this. Which schools/companies are the best? Any tips at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102710
open chakras

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Teaching on-line from North America Reply with quote

Thanks for this.

Lately, Dave's Cafe has seen a big increase in these kinds of teaching jobs and i would like to know about teachers' experiences with these places, not just the pay which has to be more than before or good teachers wouldn't do it. Lots of ads are now advertising $15 to $24 American, plus extras. Are they delivering? Also, I wanted to know about the best tech support, skype and Pay Pal. If anyone has thoughts, that would be great.

I did take a look. It's been awhile since anyone posted, but I'll try it.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching on-line from North America Reply with quote

open chakras wrote:
Thanks for this.

Lately, Dave's Cafe has seen a big increase in these kinds of teaching jobs and i would like to know about teachers' experiences with these places, not just the pay which has to be more than before or good teachers wouldn't do it. Lots of ads are now advertising $15 to $24 American, plus extras. Are they delivering? Also, I wanted to know about the best tech support, skype and Pay Pal. If anyone has thoughts, that would be great.

I think a lot of people who live outside the US, in a country where the cost of living is very low and/ or there is a favorable exchange rate are happy to work for $15 an hour - something they they would never be able to earn where they live. In my case, I have been working online for one place for coming up on 6 years now and while I am making about the same pay as I was in a brick and mortar school, I do not have any expenses. I would have internet anyway, I would have a computer anyway. I don´t have to commute, I don´t have to buy lunch away from home, etc. Not sure what you mean about the best tech support, Skype and Paypal could you give more details about what you are asking?
open chakras

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Teaching on-line from North America Reply with quote

Thanks for the post.

Your reasons are the same as mine. I read on the other suggested site that teachers were making $5. bucks an hour, but I noticed it's much higher now. Perhaps, I wasn't clear about that.

I would like to know about the good places to work, or a good place for me to cut my teeth on this kind of work. A school that will give me a chance with no on-line teaching experience. Also, are all the schools/companies advertised here reliable? Will I be paid on time?

I'm an experienced ESL teacher with no on-line experience. My tech skills are limited. Any advice on the best PC's, internet connection, and headset with microphone? If it sounds a bit strange it's because I'm green.

Any tips on delivering good lessons on-line. Things like this.

Thanks, again
Podkayne

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach online. I've done so in two ways: a) for a company that had its own platform, curricula, and clients; and b) for myself, but using a third-party platform that takes a commission from my fee in exchange for general marketing, payment handling, scheduling management, etc.

I learned valuable best practices from my company experience, which I have applied to my freelance work. Some companies will hire people without online teaching experience. They will post - and often test - their technical requirements, e.g. internet speed. They won't care if you use a PC or a Mac, but they will generally prohibit the use of a phone or tablet for teaching.

Until you educate yourself with the tech basics, you won't be able to deliver a reliable customer service experience for your students. Your online teacher competitors *will* be tech savvy.

Consider getting familiar with the various technology and online approaches by buying lessons from experienced online tutors, whether in English or in another language.

You might also participate in some online language exchanges via Skype so you can gain more technical experience. There are a number of operations that offer this.

I suggest creating a Skype account that doesn't use your real name.

I hope this is helpful.
open chakras

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Teaching on-line from North America Reply with quote

Thanks Podkayne,

I have been reading blogs from on-line English teachers. One suggestion that jumps out is to start with a company that structures the whole lesson.
They learned the ropes from this.

My internet speed is very good. Lots of ads on Dave is for a good headset and a microphone. I did read a blog that suggested a good set of speakers as well. I have even read about teachers who set up special lighting. I'm not sure if I want to go that far. But I am older and I am not sure if this matters.

I am hesitate to start because of my lack of tech skills. Probably, I should take a Skype tutorial if I can.

I do appreciate the tips. If you have any specific info you think might help, you can pm me privately.

Thanks, again
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching on-line from North America Reply with quote

open chakras wrote:
I am hesitate to start because of my lack of tech skills. Probably, I should take a Skype tutorial if I can.

A Skype tutorial is a must if you're not confident using technology. Be aware that some companies require job applicants to give a short online demo lesson to ensure the person can teach and manage the online learning platform.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: