Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

51talk online teaching experience...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: 51talk online teaching experience... Reply with quote

I don't like to call companies out on forums. But, I've had some moments with 51talk that have made me less than happy.

I have been teaching online for years now. So, upon comparison... Much of the 51talk company procedures/ policy is lengthy and difficult to understand, admin seems to fall into the 'blame teacher mode' easily and even their PECK HOURS seem difficult to fill even if the teacher ratings are 'high' for example above 98%.

I guess this is my question...

Has anyone had great luck working for 51TALK ?
What has your experience been with them?
How long have you been working with them?
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 51talk online teaching experience... Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
...even their PECK HOURS seem difficult...

Has anyone had great luck working for 51TALK ?

Laughing

I guess if you live in the Philippines---I'm under the impression that most of their teachers do---and are a near-non native speaker, you wouldn't be complaining, keeping in mind your other employment prospects.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know to what extent this correlates to market share or just marketing but 51Talk lost about 25% of web traffic in the past 3 months and looks about to be eclipsed by the new VIPkid.com on the block that's gained a third in the same period. While Talk51 relies on 21% Philippine traffic with only 7% American, the latter site has a whopping 38% American traffic. What may have been the giant in China's online education, VIPabc.com, and not just for featuring Chinese basketball star Yao Ming in their transit ads here in Beijing, also appears to be steadily losing web traffic. Could it be due to their domestic dependence, mismanagement of the sort inutome and Gl*ssd**r.com reviewers describe or a combination thereof? Their largest source of non-Chinese traffic is the US with only 1.9% traffic.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
What may have been the giant in China's online education, VIPabc.com, ....

...has a junior division, VIPjr.com which since mid-January, has subtantially increased it's web traffic, although nowhere near the other players. The website boasts having 10,000 qualified (TEFL) teachers with 'pure accents' from 80+ countries, along with IELTS prep for 12-18 year-olds. Strange because 98.2% of their webtraffic is domestic.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are parts of a February 5th article about the online industry in China:

Quote:

Industry expands rapidly thanks to convenience, tailored teaching plans

....domestic online education market generated about 160.15 billion yuan ($23.37 billion) in revenues in 2016, up 17.2 percent on a yearly basis, according to a report issued by Analysys International on January 12.

Many online education platforms have secured large-scale funding deals over the last few years. In November 2015, Shanghai-based English language learning institute iTutorGroup announced that it had received $200 million - a record amount of funding for an online education company in China.

In February 2016, Beijing-based New Oriental Online secured a 320 million yuan investment from Internet titan Tencent Holding. In August 2016, Beijing-based VIPKID raised $100 million in funding.

China's online education market has captured a great deal of public attention, experts said. The industry has great growth potential for the next few years.

------

As of December 2016, China had 731 million Internet users, and the number of online education users grew 25 percent year-on-year to 138 million, according to a report released by the China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC) on January 22.

The CNNIC report said that the user utilization rate of K-12 education, which stood at 53.4 percent, was the highest in the industry. The improvement of Internet access in primary and secondary schools provides a foundation for online education formats such as live teaching, according to the report. Also, young teachers are more likely to embrace the Internet, which helps promote online education products.

A resident surnamed Tu from Nanchang, capital of East China's Jiangxi Province, said that an increasing number of parents around her are seeking online education for their children. She is one of them and has bought her daughter online English training courses.

"I chose a foreign teacher from the Philippines for my daughter, who is 8, on an online education platform talk915.com," Tu told the Global Times.

"My child learned English with the instructor three to four times each week for 25 minutes each session," she said, noting that each class costs about 30 yuan.

According to Tu, the platform provides foreign teachers from the Philippines, European countries and the US.

Online education offers a great deal of convenience to users because it eliminates regional and time constraints for users and offers an equal opportunity for everyone, regardless of location, said Zhang Nan, vice president of the Beijing-based online education company Limi Learning Corp.

"Residents of first-tier cities have received online education well, and there seems to be the same market potential in second- and third-tier cities," Zhang told the Global Times.

Residents in some rural areas could also become the potential customers for online learning once they get access to the Internet, according to experts.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1031455.shtml
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see related thread in China Job Related forum.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: