Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

travel to and from work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: travel to and from work Reply with quote

Traveling to different job sites is part of teaching abroad. You have to spend time, money and patience on public transportation daily to get from one site to another.

But, when do you put your foot down and say, 'I'm not doing it?' I've often wondered if it's possible for schools to do things differently to make it where teachers don't have to travel so much. But, the question is what would that be?

In the past I have traveled 2 hours daily 5 days a week. Sometimes I didn't mind. But, sometimes you have one of those days that you don't feel like getting a the bus jam packed full of people in 100 degree weather. And not having a seat on the bus is always interesting while I'm trying to hold all my supplies after working a full day. There was even a few flash floods so I got to look forward to my hour bus ride home soaking wet. Not to mention the fact that it was not just a little money I was spending on travel.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a lot depends on your qualifications and if you can get a full time, or close to full time, job in a regular High School or University. Even if you do, that doesn´t mean you won´t have a long commute. I worked in schools where my commute took up more time than doing classes at businesses. I did finally put my foot down and started working online from home! That is an option that can work if you live in a country where the cost of living is low, as starting pay is not great. It can, however, develop into a nice job over time. And you have no overhead aside from a computer and internet, things you would most likely have anyway.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing I wonder about most is if there is a way to cut down on the travel. I know in Chile and I've heard Argentina the travel to different locations is at times extreme. Maybe the better question is, 'Are there certain companies that help place teachers closer to where they want to be? Even if they must go to several locations in one day? I've heard of teachers going to total opposite sides of the city in the same day. That can make the day so long.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's par for the course in many bottom rung jobs. In low level jobs most schools have little interest in whether their set up is convenient for the teachers. Of course it would be possible for them to reduce travel times, but it will be of little benefit to the school. So they have no reason to do it.

The teachers are essentially disposable, with a stack of other barely qualified teachers with little experience waiting in the wings to take their place. They are interested in pleasing and keeping clients and little else. If they take the time to allocate work within a similar area, it will be because it benefits them, probably because they can squeeze a few hours extra hours out of them. Not because it benefits the teachers.

The situation isn't going to change. When people get sick of dealing with this sort of nonsense they improve their skills and qualifications and move further up the food chain, and someone else moves in to fill the gap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: