Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certification and visa question (in country vs out)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zcpet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Certification and visa question (in country vs out) Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm a US citizen looking to teach English in Russia and I'm planning on getting a CELTA certification. Sorting out visas for this seems far and away the most complicated process. Would it be wise to get certified in a school in the EU under something like a tourist/student visa, and then enter Russia under a different visa? It seems like being stuck with a tourist/student visa in country would be a big hurdle when it comes to finding employment.

What do you guys think?
RoscoeTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zc,

So if your end goal is teaching in Russia and your desire is to get your Celta through a language school. Why not just do your Celta course in Russia instead of the EU? Moscow has a great Celta course which I took at BKC language school. While I wasnt in need of a visa at the time, they also organize visas for course participants.

Also, you may get more responses if you post in the Russia forum.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about teaching in Russia, been teaching in Moscow over 5 years.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Roscoe that it makes most sense to get certified in Russia if that's where you're heading, but you wouldn't need a visa at all to take a CELTA or equivalent course anywhere in the EU - US citizens are allowed to visit in the Schengen zone for 90 days maximum without any visa at all. Working in this time period would be technically illegal, but taking a cert course is fine. Google Schengen zone if you're unfamiliar.
zcpet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. The reason I was asking is because I know that you need a visa even for tourist entry in Russia unless you're from the CIS. However, I can basically show up in the EU (Schengen zone) and live in a hostel/on a couch while I get a cert, no questions asked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: