Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How feasible is TEFL for me right now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickOfTime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: How feasible is TEFL for me right now? Reply with quote

Hello all!

OK, so after working as a teaching assistant for the past year, my contract is about to come to an end, and I need to decide what I'm doing next with my life.

Although I had initially been looking for TA jobs at other schools, and I do intend to eventually progress further in a career in education, it occurred to me that I probably had just about enough money to do something that I had planned to do after uni, but just couldn't afford: teach English abroad.

Here's a bit of info about me:

- I have a degree (Film Studies, so not particularly respected, but it's a degree alright)
- I have a British passport
- As mentioned above, I have a year of experience working in secondary education, although I wouldn't be at all averse to working with adult learners
- I currently have no EFL qualifications or experience

It seems that the best thing to is a CELTA course. If I was to stay at home, then there are CELTA courses that are available, but none of them start until September. Although I think it would be very useful for me to have six weeks to prepare for what I understand to be a very intensive course, I get the impression that by the time I would finish such a course (late September/early October) that the job market for this year would have largely dried up.

The alternative would be to take either a CELTA or 'CELTA equivalent' course abroad. Some of these courses - especially the 'CELTA equivalent' ones - do appear to have dates in August, and even with accommodation and flights included would cost about the same (maybe slightly more) as doing it here at home. I also get the impression that it's a lot easier to find jobs if you're already in a particular country. The disadvantages here would be that I wouldn't have much time to prepare before the course, and that I might find myself tied to a particular country (especially if I didn't take an actual CELTA), when at the moment I'm fairly open as to where I work.

So there's my quandary. Thanks for reading it all! Do you guys have any advice? Is there anything I haven't considered? Have I just left things too late to do something this year?

Cheers for any help.
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How feasible is TEFL for me right now? Reply with quote

NickOfTime wrote:
I get the impression that by the time I would finish such a course (late September/early October) that the job market for this year would have largely dried up.

It depends on what country you want to teach in. The academic year runs different dates in different countries, and in some countries it doesn't matter what time of year you go.

Quote:
I also get the impression that it's a lot easier to find jobs if you're already in a particular country.

Again, it depends on the country. In many countries it is easier to do your job search in-country. But, some countries require you to go back to your country of citizenship to get your visa processed, so looking for a job in-country isn't helpful at all.

Also, in some countries having a CELTA is necessary, some countries a cheap online TEFL cert is enough, and other countries require no cert at all.

It really depends on where you want to go, as each place is a bit different.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How feasible is TEFL for me right now? Reply with quote

NickOfTime wrote:
Is there anything I haven't considered?

Yeah, like which country/countries you'd like to teach in.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in China.

The job market for university and high schools might be closed if you take the course later, but I wouldnt recommend those routes anyway. Jobs with no training for a newbie? Thats what that working environment normally is.

Training centres are different as you may have some kind of induction and training program, and may get some kind of mentoring or support as a new teacher. Training centres hire all year round, although they do of course have peak recruiting seasons.

CELTA etc is helpful, but probably not essential ... if you dont need it to get the job or visa, it will help you do the job though.

You dont mention how old you are? China often requires 2 years working experience on top of the degree ... rules are not hard and fast in China though, so if you are interested in China, contacting employers and applying for jobs is the only way to find out if you are qualified to work here. Many employers have ways and means to circumvent some visa requirements such as the two years working experience rule.
likwid_777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by likwid_777 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rtm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

likwid_777 wrote:
I worked in China previously on the infamous F Visa. I have been reading about the two years work experience, I have that easily covered. However, does that mean two years of actual teaching work experience, or just "work in general"?

I've never taught in China, but from what I've read on here, it seems like how that law is interpreted depends on the location in China. From what I've read, it sounds like in more desirable places with lots of applicants (e.g., Beijing, Shanghai), they require the 2 years to be teaching, whereas in more out-of-the-way provinces, they'll take 2 years of anything (and you sometimes don't even need that).
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with a large, reputable employer is that the two years experience needs to be post-degree. It doesn't have to be teaching, but it does have to be post-degree.

Law does not have the same meaning in China as it does in the west though. It is applied and interpreted according to need, rather than being hard and fast rules.
NickOfTime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: How feasible is TEFL for me right now? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
NickOfTime wrote:
Is there anything I haven't considered?

Yeah, like which country/countries you'd like to teach in.
D'Oh!

To be honest, deciding on a country is something I'm struggling with; the one I choose is likely to be driven largely by practical considerations. I'm leaning towards staying in Europe for convenience's sake (already got EU passport, cheaper flights etc.), although from what I understand staying in Europe means that I'd only earn just about enough to live on (not sure if there's any countries that are an exception to this). Are there any EU countries which have a later academic year, or where there is likely to be work available year-round?

I *might* consider Asia, although from the sound of things China wouldn't be an option for me right now, as I only have 1.5 years of post-degree work experience, and only one year was in education. I think teaching is Asia is more something I'd want to do if, after having gained some TEFL experience, I decide to continue working in the field.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Russia! Experience true freedom, and a livable wage. Do your Celta in Moscow. Never look back!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be honest, deciding on a country is something I'm struggling with; the one I choose is likely to be driven largely by practical considerations. I'm leaning towards staying in Europe for convenience's sake (already got EU passport, cheaper flights etc.), although from what I understand staying in Europe means that I'd only earn just about enough to live on (not sure if there's any countries that are an exception to this). Are there any EU countries which have a later academic year, or where there is likely to be work available year-round?

You are correct about salaries across Europe, particularly in one's first year. There are better paid jobs out here, but it takes time, qualifications, and local contacts to get the, so most people pay a year or two at least of some dues at minimum wage EFL jobs.
EU countries all basically start in September, later in the month rather than earlier in the southern countries. You need to job-seek in September.
I think your easiest 'in' for this year is to sign up for a CELTA somewhere on the continent in AUGUST (so, find one and get on it this week!!). You shouldn't really need much time to prepare for a CELTA - I can assure you the vast majority of trainees do the minimum in advance.
A generic TEFL is also not such a bad option, given that it is 120+ hours on site and includes the key supervised teaching practice with real students. If you take a generic, you need to highlight these two points clearly on your CV and cover letter, but the course should be recognized by most employers. I myself have a generic TEFL from ages ago, and have never had any trouble getting it recognized (granted, I now have higher level quals) by employers - the Canadian government even accepted it.

There is another small hiring bump in January, usually, but you'd need to target a really big city or two at that time of year to have a reasonable certainty of finding something.
NickOfTime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spiral78"]
Quote:

EU countries all basically start in September, later in the month rather than earlier in the southern countries. You need to job-seek in September.
I think your easiest 'in' for this year is to sign up for a CELTA somewhere on the continent in AUGUST (so, find one and get on it this week!!).
OK, I better get on top of that, then.

I think that I'll just apply for a few different courses today and tomorrow evening, and just hope that I'm able to get on at least one of them. I've ordered a couple of grammar books off of amazon, too, so that I can at least brush up a little over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice, guys!
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do note that the Trinity TESOL certificate is widely recognised as equivalent in status to CELTA.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Trinity and SIT TESOL are both equal to a CELTA. They're not totally as recognizable by employers, but are absolutely acceptable in terms of the actual courses.

Some generics are as well - though prospective employers in today's competitive job market won't be likely to take the time to investigate whether a candidates' generic cert is equivalent.

That's why it's vital to emphasize the key components on one's cover letter and CV: 120 +/- hours on site, and including X hours of supervised teaching practice with real students.
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may well be equal in quality, Spiral, but in terms of employer recognition, I think SIT lags behind. I do not think I have seen an eastern European employer specify it; perhaps it is better known in the western hemisphere.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They're not totally as recognizable by employers,

Hmmm, cole - I thought that's what I said?
It was my intent to say that CELTA's advantage is that employers recognize it without making any extra effort to find out if it meets standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: