Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aspire Academy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dominogeronimo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Aspire Academy Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on this school in Doha? I'm worried that my friend will work there before doing research. Are they honest with their contracts? If anyone has any info, please reply to this post. Thank You. Also, what is a decent salary for ESL teachers in Qatar? I work in KSA and make over 13,500/month. How does this compare to Qatar?
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that with any school, recruiter, or agency you have to put on your A-game with contracts because in the Middle East a contract is considered only a group of words and many look to get around them. It is not uncommon for the rules of the game to change mid-stream, so it is better to look for those environments in which a history of being truthful is prevalent.
topshop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: aspire Reply with quote

probably attached to the aspire training centr for young athletes who come to Qatar to be groomed as future soccer players impressive facility could be a good job a good salary would be 14k plus housing but you could get by on less take the job!
dominogeronimo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same as you mentioned. Unfortunately the job offer isn't for me, but for a friend. I wanted to check that contracts are honored and that you get paid and are compensated according to the contract, generally speaking in Qatar. I haven't worked there so wasn't sure about the country.

Is anyone out there familiar with this school? Good reputation?
topshop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: aspire Reply with quote

yes good reputation what do you mean be sure about the country? Qatar is a rich gulf country... very hot in summer pleasant year round safe although may be a little quiet for some contracts are agreed upon and generally ok there is a mechanism in place for these your friend will probably enjoy the experince if you work abroad there is always an element of risk
uaeguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I was interviewed by them back in November. The place is full of qataris...When I went to interview it was a complete fiasco! Had to wait almost two hours beyond my interview time. No introductions to any of the interviewers ( Seven Qataris and one non-Qatari) when I finally arrived in the interview room. Nor any apologies for keeping me waiting. The interview room was a mess (empty water bottles and paper strewn everywhere). The lead interviewer ddin't even know what position I was being interviewed for and asked me to tell him.....I never experienced anything like it in my life. Within two hours they called me and told me I "passed" the interview and they now wanted to schedule a follow-up interview. I replied "thanks but no thanks". I've since heard I made a very wise choice. I have heard of others having gone work for them and suddenly, without notice, their jobs were "Qatarized". The prospect of working with young athletes was very appealing to me- not so the case of working for Qataris!
dominogeronimo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww - good to hear from someone who has been exposed to them.

The lack of organization and orderliness doesn't surprise me. I think this is common in the Gulf region. What exactly do you mean by their jobs were "Qatarized"?

My main concern for my friend is whether or not they pay on time and pay what the contract states they pay. Did you hear anything about that?

If you have contact info from previous teachers, that'd be great.

Thanks!
dominogeronimo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@topshop - do you currently work for them? you seem so positive about them for appearing to not have had any contact with them. what makes you so certain this is a decent gig?
uaeguy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Qatarized" refers to a position being replaced by a Qatari (who may or may not be qualified). That probably wouldn't happen in a teaching job, as Qataris are not generally attracted to the teaching profession. I did a bit of research before going for my interview. Supposedly, they pay well and on time. The salary they give you is a "total package". You will have to pay housing, medical insurance, schooling for kids from that amount...again, i hear it is generous though. Good luck to your friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: