Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bratislava salary and cost of living

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Bratislava salary and cost of living Reply with quote

I'm considering a job in Bratislava but having trouble finding information on wages and cost of living.

What's an average salary for a teacher with CELTA and a year or 2 experience?
And how much is needed to cover the basics - rent a small flat, bills and food?

I know wages here are low but I need to know that I can break even once I've covered essential costs and a bit of a simple social life. However, the job I'm considering is in a slightly different area from my previous experience so I am prepared to be working for a bit less than I would usually consider. I'm getting mixed info on cost of living in Bratislava - from low to comparable with other European cities.

Any constructive feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=91301&highlight=bratislava

Kofola has got probably the most apt info -you might send a pm, though you can't actually do that until you've got at least 5 posts behind you - looks like you're new to the boards.
Kofola

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randm,

The info here is still relevant:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=85852&highlight=

The latest stats are:

National minimum salary - 338 euros
National average salary - 789 euros
Average Bratislava salary - 1030 euros
Inflation - 1.8% (May 2013)

Rents are still around the 300/400 euro mark. You never pay bills separately - they are always part of the set rent. (The only thing you might have to pay is at the end of the year (actually around March, if I remember rightly) and is any extra payments for heating/water if you've gone over the expected amount).

Food is cheapish i.e. basically cheaper than Western European countries esp. local foods. Imported and less popular items are expensive.

Toiletries are extortionate - the same price as the UK, but on a Slovak salary that makes them 4 times as dear.

Eating out is cheap as is beer. Taxis are expensive - take the night bus (on the hour from the train station).

Transport is cheap - a single to Kosice (about 450km) will set you back 18 euros:)

That's prob enough to get you going.

Feel free to pm me if you've got any specific questions,

Kofola
randm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you for the info. I was unsure about whether to take the job at first but have now accepted. They're paying 1,100 euros per month, hopefully that's enough to cover expenses in Bratislava. I'll be travelling in about 2 weeks so may have more questions soon. Very Happy
Kofola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nomadwoman,

Do you mean the hourly rates for self-employed teachers or for contracted teachers? And what kind of teaching are we talking? Business, kids...?

Kofola
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: