Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you consider Taiwan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Augustus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Would you consider Taiwan? Reply with quote

Hello

I've had contact from someone at m2rglobal and the above is what they have asked me. I wondered if anyone had any experience with this agency, they say I don't need any experience and they could get me a job out there.

I'm unsure, its not somewhere I would normally have considered. I am a newly qualified CELTA graduate and am looking for my first job.

What can I expect in terms of pay/board/accomodation/conditions?

Any advice on where to go to research such countries?

Augustus
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wouldn't. Not anymore.

It's just not as lucrative or congenial as other TEFL destinations.
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most TEFL teachers are moving out of Taiwan in search of greener pastures. Taiwan is a song that has been sung. You definitely need to be looking elsewhere.
Augustus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear ...

Is it even worth considering that I am a newly qualified CELTA holder, with limited experience?

Any reviews on the agency m2rglobal?

The agent did say the role was "perfect for a new graduate" but what you are saying seems to suggest that she is desperate for anyone, is that correct?

Thanks

Last edited by Augustus on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most TEFL teachers are moving out of Taiwan in search of greener pastures.

What makes you say that? From what I've read the number of English teachers has remained relatively steady in Taiwan.

Quote:
Is it even worth considering that I am a newly qualified CELTA holder, with limited experience? Any reviews on the agency m2rglobal?

I've never heard of that one, and I don't really know that much about getting a job through an agency. Still, a full-time teaching job isn't that easy to find in Taiwan these days, so if they are willing to offer you one, I would at least see what they have to say.

A CELTA with experience would likely be helpful, but without experience I doubt it would make that much difference, except maybe at a large chain.

Either way, good luck!
romanworld

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferfichkin wrote:
What makes you say that? From what I've read the number of English teachers has remained relatively steady in Taiwan.

The economic situation in Taiwan is getting worse for English teachers and many are struggling to make ends meet. In that economic climate, it'd make sense to move. Many teachers I've heard are moving to other parts of Asia, particularly China where there is more money to be had.

Quote:
Is it even worth considering that I am a newly qualified CELTA holder, with limited experience? Any reviews on the agency m2rglobal?

A CELTA won't mean much to your average Buxiban laoban. The only places in Taiwan where it might mean anything would be at the British Council or any other foreign operation that recognises the Cambridge certs.
m2rglobal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Regarding m2rglobal Reply with quote

Hi, I saw that you were asking about m2rglobal. This is my company, we have been in business for 13 years and are based in the UK. If I can be of any assistance please do ask.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The economic situation in Taiwan is getting worse for English teachers and many are struggling to make ends meet. In that economic climate, it'd make sense to move. Many teachers I've heard are moving to other parts of Asia, particularly China where there is more money to be had.

The economic situation in the west is poor too though. For many people, Taiwan might be seem like a better option. From what I've read, although the number of some nationalities has gone down (e.g. Canadians), overall there are more English teachers in Taiwan now than there were in the 90's or mid 2000's. If you believe this report from the Ministry of the Interior, the number of Americans and Brits teaching in Taiwan is at an all time high.

http://sowf.moi.gov.tw/stat/year/list.htm

1. Click the link at the top of the page: 'Statistical Yearbook of the Interior'

2. Scroll down to 6.08: 'Foreign Residents'

3. Look at the bottom the chart for the 'Occupation' tab

Quote:
A CELTA won't mean much to your average Buxiban laoban.

I agree with you; however, I still think that at a large chain a CELTA could help to separate the OP from the herd a bit.
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total
romanworld

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferfichkin wrote:
If you believe this report from the Ministry of the Interior, the number of Americans and Brits teaching in Taiwan is at an all time high.

Take what the Taiwanese government belch out to the public with a pinch of salt. Most of it are lies and is designed to reassure an anxious population that everything is going fine. The press and media in Taiwan will often post sensationalist stories to distract the public, but rarely print anything that might embarrass the government. If they did, they'd be closed down. So much for democracy.
jlwild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and if you believe anything romanworld posts on these forums the whole island of Taiwan is about to be swallowed up by a giant volcano Cool
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlwild wrote:
... and if you believe anything romanworld posts on these forums the whole island of Taiwan is about to be swallowed up by a giant volcano Cool

Excuse my ignorance, but is there an active volcano in Taiwan?
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be honest, Taiwan is pretty much played out as far as being a viable EFL destination goes these days. Nothing like it was in the 90s or early 2000s. Even Taipei is dead.
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Even Taipei is dead.

And the whole country will follow soon. Check out this story from the Taiwan News about Taiwan's looming $NT3 trillion debt crisis:

Taiwan's government faces over NT$3 trillion (US$100.18 billion) in debts due in the 10-year period ending in 2021, with the peak repayment period falling in 2016, the National Audit Office said Monday. Over NT$465 billion in government bonds are due in 2016, according to an audit released by the office on the final accounts of the central government in 2012. According to the report, by the end of 2013, the central government's total outstanding debt with maturity of one year and above will account for 38.07 percent of the average gross domestic product (GDP) in the previous three years. That means the government has just over NT$300 billion left in its line of credit, the office said, cautioning the central government to properly allocate the country's resources. As of the end of 2012, the central government's total outstanding debt with maturity of one year and above reached NT$4.95 trillion, the office said. Government spending will also increase due to the government's economic stimulus plan, decision to maintain existing social welfare spending, and plans to implement a 12-year national education program and to transform Taiwan's military into an all-voluntary force. Such plans and programs will increase government spending by around NT$60 billion each year, adding to the government's financial burden, the office said.

http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=2267592&lang=eng
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the situation would be improved somewhat if the number of people going to teach English in Taiwan were more in line with the number of jobs. Today, there are fewer jobs than there were in the 90's and early 2000's, but there are more people trying to find work. According to link I posted above, 2011 and 2012 saw the second and third highest number of foreign English teachers ever in Taiwan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: