Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would teaching in HK entail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young_whippersnapper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: What would teaching in HK entail? Reply with quote

I ask this given that I have seen ads for ESL teaching jobs in Hong Kong. However, as Hong Kong is a largely English-speaking area, I was wondering what ESL teaching jobs there would entail? I assume it would largely involve teaching to non-English speakers who intend to live in or become employed in Hong Kong?
sistercream

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the contrary, more than 95% of the population are not native English speakers. The vast majority have Cantonese as their mother tongue, and most of the others are Mandarin speakers.

So, all these people are learning English at school. An increasing number of children are also hauled along to after school classes for not only English, but also just about every other subject under the sun as well.

ESL teachers here run the full gamut, from "white monkeys" with generic BAs but no teacher training working in gimcrack language centres, right up to well qualified and experienced professional teachers working in top-notch schools.

If someone has both TEFL and other teaching qualifications (with experience), there are also openings in the many international schools, usually as a class or subject teacher, but with "extra responsibility" for teaching English to students in the non-English speaking stream (German, French, Korean, Japanese schools spring to mind).
young_whippersnapper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I think I got confused by the fact that English is one of the official languages of HK.
roseannanna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sistercream wrote:
On the contrary, more than 95% of the population are not native English speakers. The vast majority have Cantonese as their mother tongue, and most of the others are Mandarin speakers.

So, all these people are learning English at school. An increasing number of children are also hauled along to after school classes for not only English, but also just about every other subject under the sun as well.

ESL teachers here run the full gamut, from "white monkeys" with generic BAs but no teacher training working in gimcrack language centres, right up to well qualified and experienced professional teachers working in top-notch schools.

If someone has both TEFL and other teaching qualifications (with experience), there are also openings in the many international schools, usually as a class or subject teacher, but with "extra responsibility" for teaching English to students in the non-English speaking stream (German, French, Korean, Japanese schools spring to mind).

Yes you are not trained or even trained properly then they expect you to know everything within a week!
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roseannanna wrote:

Yes you are not trained or even trained properly then they expect you to know everything within a week!

Well, one would hope you had a fairly good grasp of the language in the first place....
roseannanna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
roseannanna wrote:

Well, one would hope you had a fairly good grasp of the language in the first place....

Well I bloody hope so.I have a degree in Drama and Theatre arts with an A Level in English literature!

I don't think my face fitted in Hong Kong brunette,tall,curvy and maybe too outspoken. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: