Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brazil would be nice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
latinamericaorasiaorbust

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Brazil would be nice. Reply with quote

Hello. I’m American and have taught in South Korea for one year followed by approximately 8 years of teaching EFL in various Middle Eastern countries. I would like a change in scenery and am strongly considering Brazil. I have a Master of Science (not an MA) in Education and a CELTA (6 years experience post CELTA). I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

1. What types of institutions could I work for? (I am debt free so I would consider all types of learning institutions as long as I could save a little money.)

2. What pay should be expected at each type of institution? (college, high school, after-school and after-work language schools, etc, etc)

3. How much should I be able to save even if working at a low-scale institution? (don’t really need to go out a lot as I am past that age)?

4. With my credentials, could I work at a Brazilian K-12 school, or MUST I be licensed?

5. Do most jobs in Brazil include medical coverage? If not, which EFL jobs do, if any?

6. Is there a preference for Caucasian instructors? Do you know of any native English teachers that aren’t Caucasian?

7. Would an international school consider me or is a license required?

8. Is there a certain time of year that is better to apply?

I sincerely thank you for any feedback you can provide. Please feel free to PM me. And if anyone has considered the Middle East, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have as I have worked in the U.A.E., Saudi, Kuwait, Oman, and Qatar. Thank you again.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I am a foreign permanent resident of Brazil who has been involved in teaching EFL for over 15 years. I will try to help with your questions but I think if you did a thorough search you probably would have found most of the answers.

However, before we get to your questions: It is virtually impossible to get a working visa and teach EFL in Brazil. You will therefore come on a tourist or Education visa. Tourist is good for 3 months and can be renewed for another 3. Education is usually good for one year.

1. What types of institutions could I work for? (I am debt free so I would consider all types of learning institutions as long as I could save a little money.)

You can easily work (illegally) for any number of private English teaching schools in Brazil (Eikawas in Japan) (Hogwans in Korea) - none of which will pay you very much.

2. What pay should be expected at each type of institution? (college, high school, after-school and after-work language schools, etc, etc)

It will be virtually impossible for you to work at a college. You could conceivably work at a private high school but I have never heard of one sponsoring a visa so I doubt it. Language schools see above.

3. How much should I be able to save even if working at a low-scale institution? (don’t really need to go out a lot as I am past that age)?

Unfortunately, IMHO Brazil is not really a cheap place. I dont think you would be able to save very much working at a private language school.

4. With my credentials, could I work at a Brazilian K-12 school, or MUST I be licensed?

At a private school I suppose anything is possible but once again they will not sponsor you - pay will be at their mercy. When I mean private school I do not mean international school - you would of course have to be licensed if applying from abroad.

5. Do most jobs in Brazil include medical coverage? If not, which EFL jobs do, if any?

You will be working illegally so forget about it.

6. Is there a preference for Caucasian instructors? Do you know of any native English teachers that aren’t Caucasian?

What follows is only IMHO based on living on and off in Brazil for the past seven years. To answer your question - I would say no. To elaborate a little: Brazil is an incredibly classist society (like many others) They are super cool with each other, comfortable in their own skin, love to have a good time, but it is classist here (it might take a while to realize it) and from my experience the vast number of people of the upper class are white and the vast number of the lower classes are of colour.

7. Would an international school consider me or is a license required?

Being hired directly form abroad: no, possible if you were already a resident and legally entitled to work in Brazil

8. Is there a certain time of year that is better to apply?

I would say any time is OK except for Jan and Feb (in and around Carnival)

Begging your next question: Yes, you can easily find work at some kind of (educational?) institution here but unfortunately, no, they wont sponsor you once you are here and working for them. It is not that they would not like to - it is only that they don't have the financial and manpower resources necessary to deal with the Brazilian bureaucracy in order to do so. You will remain illegal unless you marry a Brazilian or wait for the next amnesty.

Sorry to sound so negative. Perhaps others might have more positive information for you. I love teaching EFL and I love Brazil but to be honest what I find works best for me is: I don't teach EFL in Brazil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: