Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Requirement for Anyone Seeking a Saudi Visa
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McBrainiac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: New Requirement for Anyone Seeking a Saudi Visa Reply with quote

These days, the Saudi Cultural Mission has started to require a Letter in a sealed envelope from the university where you studied stating the method of instruction (online, distance learning, or regular classroom). The letter must specify all online credits, if any, and whether the applicant studied on the main campus of the university. They are now asking this of anyone needing a cultural mission stamp.

I can't say that I really understand why they are doing this. It does not seem to me that the mode of delivery of courses has anything to do with quality. What is it about online education that they don't like? Research findings seem to indicate that online ed actually produces better results in terms of outcome. So, what gives? Thoughts?
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Requirement for Anyone Seeking a Saudi Visa Reply with quote

McBrainiac wrote:
These days, the Saudi Cultural Mission has started to require a Letter in a sealed envelope from the university where you studied stating the method of instruction (online, distance learning, or regular classroom). The letter must specify all online credits, if any, and whether the applicant studied on the main campus of the university. They are now asking this of anyone needing a cultural mission stamp.

I can't say that I really understand why they are doing this. It does not seem to me that the mode of delivery of courses has anything to do with quality. What is it about online education that they don't like? Research findings seem to indicate that online ed actually produces better results in terms of outcome. So, what gives? Thoughts?

Too many cowboy, dot com set ups.
babur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: on-line degrees Reply with quote

Quote:
What is it about online education that they don't like? Research findings seem to indicate that online ed actually produces better results in terms of outcome.
And how can you prove that you actually did the course work. In Saudi I've frequently been approached by teachers asking whether I'd help them with an online course module. Most were westerners. I can quite understand why the Saudi education authorities are wary of online qualifications. Added to which loads of western teachers have been found to have bargain basement bogus degrees certificates. The articles refer to both Saudis and foreigners
Quote:
http://www.arabnews.com/news/459332
Quote:
http://www.arabnews.com/saudi-arabia/crackdown-degree-mills
Teachers who get found out are fired. The recruiter gets blacklisted.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Internet search on sacm degree application for authentication brings up a pdf of the form McBrainiac is referring to.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babur wrote:
And how can you prove that you actually did the course work. In Saudi I've frequently been approached by teachers asking whether I'd help them with an online course module. Most were westerners. I can quite understand why the Saudi education authorities are wary of online qualifications. Added to which loads of western teachers have been found to have bargain basement bogus degrees certificates.

Teachers who get found out are fired. The recruiter gets blacklisted.

That's the whole purpose behind authenticating degrees. Frankly, bogus diplomas wouldn't make it through the process. But they're not the subject of this thread---degrees completed online (from an accredited uni) are. That is, the method of instruction is the issue.

As for your colleagues asking you for "help" with an online course module, consider that not everyone is comfortable or familiar with online learning; it can be intimidating or overwhelming and isn't an easy task for some. There are online learners who may lack skills in time management, organization, use of technology, online research, academic writing, or even learning as a solo student (without the support of a roomful of classmates). I've helped a teaching colleague with her online coursework the same way I help my students---by giving a bit of guidance and a lot of encouragement. She did well on her own after that. By the way, her course was through an accredited, public US university.
McBrainiac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was precisely the point. They are asking this for online graduates of accredited, high profile, major universities. In my long career, I have seen more than one non-native speaker who received Ph.Ds (in both fields related to ESL and unrelated fields) from famous US research universities, and, in one case, proceeded to get a tenured ESL job at a university in Japan. Problem was, he was a fraud! He had attended class for all those years, and must have merely paid someone to write his dissertation! We know this because he couldn't even write a grammatically correct sentence in English! This kind of thing goes on more than people think, I am afraid. So, are online degree holders likely to be any worse than those from any brick and mortar university, such as the Japanese "professor" I described? I really wonder about that.
babur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: online degree writing service Reply with quote

Help = "Please write the module for me". "I need a Masters to stay in Saudi." How much?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have known teachers in KSA who had their wives do their MA coursework for them. Shameful !
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of luck newcomers Mad. Not all universities will give out that kind of information. The university I received my bachelor's from refused. But I eventually received my employment visa anyway.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McBrainiac wrote:
Problem was, he was a fraud! He had attended class for all those years, and must have merely paid someone to write his dissertation! We know this because he couldn't even write a grammatically correct sentence in English!

Your logic is a far cry from proof that he was a fraud, sorry.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lack of ability in grammar doesn't prove a lack of intelligence or knowledge of the research topic. I suspect that many theses get assistance for the final written form. (commonly referred to as editors)

VS
McBrainiac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, many people get assistance when writing dissertations. You had to have been there to have seen and observed what I did. It went beyond bad grammar. My point was just that traditional degrees have also not eliminated cheating either. IMHO, accredited schools have their quality checks, that is why they are accredited. Delivery mode is not so important.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say it depends. When I sent all my documents to SACM, they at first refused my Executive MBA program but then I submitted the same exact programs from Saudi universities and asked if they would attest their own distance programs and they stated yes, which in turn got mine attested.

I got my Iqama, first the temp employment visa, without much hassle the problem was they were slow and lazy in processing. I learned that you can yell at them on the phone, they either first start yelling or respond this way; if they say no on something, argue because for the most part they change their opinion; and finally stay on their case and check on them constantly. They may not immediately return your contact but they will eventually do so.

One example is child custody issues. I have sole custody and the embassy tried telling me I didn't and weren't going to approve my children's visa without a statement from ex. I gave them an attested copy of the custody agreement, which cost me $20, and it plainly stated I had sole custody. US State Department rules state I do not need any permission from my ex, and why I was able to get their passports without her signature, for sole or full custody parents. I yelled at them and told them to "read the custody document" and what the law stated. They agreed and approved the children's visas. Just another example of their incompetence.

Nisrin, SACM, was the one who told me the embassy was the one sitting on my paperwork for two weeks and she constantly has this issue with them. I spoke with a communications director as well for SACM and they stated the same, the embassy can get stuff done fast but chooses to just do it at their own pace.

The bottom line is don't listen to rumors, when you feel your right push for it, and never take no as an answer. In the end it still may become no but you may also get what you want.

I got my and my children's visas as a result.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Requirement for Anyone Seeking a Saudi Visa Reply with quote

McBrainiac wrote:
These days, the Saudi Cultural Mission has started to require a Letter in a sealed envelope...and whether the applicant studied on the main campus of the university.

I studied at Glendon College in Toronto. It is a part of York University. It is not the main campus, so I guess my degree is bogus.

Grendal
Expat101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess all the beautiful official stamps from the government will not suffice them these days? What if your degree was obtained long before online courses were even being used?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: