Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talk to me about my options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paper_Cat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Talk to me about my options. Reply with quote

First of all, some background info. I'm a non native teacher of English. I'm CELTA qualified with a Hons degree (Spanish and TESOL) from a British university. I have a total of 12 months teaching experience around Spain and 1 month in the UK(summer school).

As time passes one thing becomes more and more apparent. I am consistently being treated as a second class teacher because I wasn't born in an English speaking country. British and Irish friends of mine, who are hardly qualified, are getting red carpet treatment whilst I scrounge for leftovers with my CELTA and C1 Spanish.

At this point, and after several months of fruitless EFL job-searching around the world, I have decided it's time for a career change. I come here with an open mind, and I kindly ask you to let me in on my options.

Cheers

PS. Please refrain from turning this thread into a native vs non-native debate.

Last edited by Paper_Cat on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Options?

Come to Russia!
Paper_Cat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Options?

Come to Russia!

All the ads I've seen so far require a UK passport. :/
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ads for which jobs? As far as I know, there is no legal requirement to have one passport or the other. Perhaps some schools are saying they only want UK passports, but there would be as many who'd prefer a US one. The vast majority of schools that I know of do not state a preference.

Check out the McSchools threads on this board. They hire any nationality going, if they seem like they can do the job. A Celta and previous experience will certainly help your application.

Best of luck.
Paper_Cat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Which ads for which jobs? As far as I know, there is no legal requirement to have one passport or the other. Perhaps some schools are saying they only want UK passports, but there would be as many who'd prefer a US one. The vast majority of schools that I know of do not state a preference.

Check out the McSchools threads on this board. They hire any nationality going, if they seem like they can do the job. A Celta and previous experience will certainly help your application.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your suggestions sir!

I couldn't find the particular threads. All the same, I've sent applications to all the Russian schools I could find on the International job board here and TEFL.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: