Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of Morocco for first time teaching abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
octophetus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Thinking of Morocco for first time teaching abroad Reply with quote

I am having a hard time finding much information about TEFL in Morocco. If you guys could tell me a little bit about how you liked your experiences, whether you think Morocco is a decent enough place to start my TEFL journey, and whether you make enough to live that'd be great. I have a BA in social justice and global studies, and I'm going to be getting my TEFL certificate from a university here in the states (with teaching hours) soon. I have some teaching experience but not ESL teaching experience (yet!). I will be coming with my husband. I'd really just love all the information I can get about how the work situation looks in Morocco. I'd prefer Marrakesh, but I'm open.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the American school there.
It probably is too late for this year, though.
You should be certified first.
Sumbo11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morocco can be tough for first timers. It helps if you speak French or Moroccan Arabic. It's a great place to travel. It's known to be a 'liberal' Islamic country, but I found that label a little misleading.

Marrakech is challenging because it's the tourist capital of Morocco. Moroccans there are notorious, even among their own nationality, for being less friendly and more prone to taking advantage of someone.

It's probably too late for AMIDEAST or BC, but you can try the American Language Centers (http://www.aca.org.ma/centers/). I had a friend working for a branch of ALC. She wasn't making great money, but she was also living in the heart of the city. Not sure how respectful her boss was either. Cost of living drops significantly if you're willing to have a commute. Most Moroccan schools want a cert with 6 months experience.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumbo11 wrote:
It's probably too late for AMIDEAST or BC, but you can try the American Language Centers (http://www.aca.org.ma/centers/).

You'd need a TEFL cert + relevant teaching experience for jobs with AMIDEAST and the BC. The latter might even require that cert be a CELTA.
octophetus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I'll have a TEFL cert pretty soon here. I'll be applying for jobs after I obtain it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you're still expected to have (paid) teaching experience under your belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: