Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books with pre-made communicative activities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harbin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Books with pre-made communicative activities Reply with quote

Hi all,

What pre-made communicative activity sources do frequently use? I'm a big fan of Jill Hadfield's series of communicative activities and vocabulary games, but find them to be a little dated. Don't get me wrong -- the fundamentals of these books is great, but you need to modify some of the activities a little to bring them up to date.

Here is a quick list of my go to books for pre-made communicative activities:

Business Communication Games by Angela Lloyd and Anne Preier Link This book is more than a little dated, but worth its weight in gold for intermediate and higher students.

Elementary Communication Games by Jill Hadfield Link This book is the best I've ever seen for elementary communicative activities.

Elementary Vocabulary Games by Jill Hadfield Link

Intermediate Communication Games by Jill Hadfield Link This book is mediocre, but it has a few useful activities.

Intermediate Vocabulary Games by Jill Hadfield Link This is the best of Jill's vocabulary games books.

Advanced Communication Activities by Jill Hadfield Link I've yet to use most of these activities because they're too difficult for my Chinese students, but the activities appear to be solid.
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short of cash, Ms. Hadfield?

J/K.
Harbin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:

J/K.

Compliment accepted Cool I wish I had her knack for creating materials.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books like that are good for newbs, but once one has got one's head around the concept of an information gap or similar, it shouldn't be too difficult to design one's own activities using hand-picked vocabulary and phrases. The big drawbacks for me with Hadfield's books were the amount of cutting up into little strips of paper, and then the endless chasing up and recollating or replacing of those strips for the next class (sure, once can photocopy onto card or even laminate, but that doesn't prevent losses). Worksheets/whole sheets seem more the way to go IMHO. Then, her activities were also often lacking a visual element.
Harbin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
Books like that are good for newbs, but once one has got one's head around the concept of an information gap or similar, it shouldn't be too difficult to design one's own activities using hand-picked vocabulary and phrases.

They're also good for people who have little to no time to make materials.
JoeKing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:

J/K.
Cool
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbin wrote:
fluffyhamster wrote:
Books like that are good for newbs, but once one has got one's head around the concept of an information gap or similar, it shouldn't be too difficult to design one's own activities using hand-picked vocabulary and phrases.

They're also good for people who have little to no time to make materials.

Well, like I also said, the time that one spends cutting up and organizing the strips of paper for many of Hadfield's activities isn't inconsiderable, and might be better spent designing less "scissor-heavy" materials! Smile
artemisia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Cambridge series on the four skills across a range of levels by different authors: Speaking Extra (Mick Gammidge). Reward also has a series of resource packs for all or most levels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: