Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worth traveling to another city to hand in CVs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klaw02

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Worth traveling to another city to hand in CVs? Reply with quote

Hi all,

People tell me that it's far more effective handing in CVs in person than applying through email.

I currently live in Wroclaw and I plan to hand in CVs to schools here, but I'd like to apply to schools in other cities too, just to give myself more options.

Do you think it's worth it to travel to other cities just to hand in CVs, or do you think just emailing them is ok? And then I can travel to other cities for interviews.

Also, do you think that it'd be a big issue to use a generalised cover letter? There are hundreds of schools and it'd be a lot easier to organise if I wrote a cover letter saying "I'm writing to express my interest in teaching at your school" rather than change the name for each school and potentially having a huge mess.
oipivo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone actually had luck with this? When I went a dropped off a few CVs they looked at me like I was crazy. I had enough luck just emailing and calling.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how it works in other cities but from my experience sending an email to a school in Krakow or Warsaw is about as useful as punching yourself in the head.

A couple of caveats:
Where there isn't a huge supply of teachers, I would expect schools would answer emails pretty quickly.
When a school has something approaching an organised employment structure and necessary levels of professionalism you'd probably get a reply.

Given that most people don't want to work in small town Poland and that very very very few schools fall into the "organised" category, handing in your CVs at schools in Warsaw and Krakow is the best bet.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: You're still too early Reply with quote

It's always preferable to hand out CV's in person, but only if you can find, say, half a dozen decent looking schools in a city that make it worth your while to go there.

Simon's right about the better organized schools being more likely to answer emails. So don't think it's not worth trying if you can't go there in person.

It's still a little early to expect the DoS to be back from his/her holiday. I'd hold off until late Sept before you go knocking on doors, CV's in hand.
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends entirely on you.

Some people can hand deliver a CV and leave with an offer, others get deposited in the round file as they are walking towards the door.

If you are confident and have the presence to do it, I would. If you lack assertiveness or the ability to fall into an interview without notice, I would just mail them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: