Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libya failed state?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Libya failed state? Reply with quote

The oil's switched off; everyone is armed to the teeth; daily killings; tribal clashes; Islamists; smugglers; kidnapping and car jacking and general lawlessness.

Personally, I haven't seen anything of any significance being built.

All the signs are there.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: A very accurate and current synopsis. Reply with quote

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/special-report-we-all-thought-libya-had-moved-on--it-has-but-into-lawlessness-and-ruin-8797041.html
Anaustez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offered a job in Libya recently and had the contract withdrawn due to "security reasons". Am now looking for more work there. How easy or difficult do you think I'll find it to get something?

I've a BA in English and a CELTA with 3+ years teaching experience and over a year of DoS/Teacher training experience. I've lived in a very conservative, Muslim environment before and quality of life doesn't bother me that much (beyond my own room, intermittent access to an internet connection and perhaps a nearby satellite TV in a cafe or something to watch the odd European football game). I've no dependents, work hard and know my stuff. Is it still possible to find work in Libya?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: loads of crud yes Reply with quote

There are loads of terrible offers around right now.....don't do it unless they offer you a tonne of gold.
Anaustez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: loads of crud yes Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
There are loads of terrible offers around right now.....don't do it unless they offer you a tonne of gold.

Are you in Libya now, dragonpiwo?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He divides his time between Tripolitania and that part of Germany currently occupied by Poland.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Anaustez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
He divides his time between Tipolitania and that part of Germany currently occupied by Poland.

I did wonder about the beer reference in the username.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, no real beer in what used to be ASI (Africa Setentrionale Italiana).

As far as I can judge, "Dragonpiwo" is unhappy wherever he happens to find himself. Such is the lot of many an EFLer - even those on relatively high incomes.

Sometimes it is better to stay at home in Barnsley or Boston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_North_Africa
Anaustez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

As far as I can judge, "Dragonpiwo" is unhappy wherever he happens to find himself. Such is the lot of many an EFLer - even those on relatively high incomes.

The happiness factor doesn't change much when you get to Barnsley. At least in Libya and Poland you have a chance, after many years of language study, of being able to understand the locals.

I'm hopeful of a move to Libya in the near future, was just hoping to throw a few questions the way of someone who's there now to get a bit more of a feel for the place beyond what I can deduce from the Libya Herald.
Anaustez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

The happiness factor doesn't change much when you get to Barnsley. At least in Libya and Poland you have a chance, after many years of language study, of being able to understand the locals.

I'm hopeful of a move to Libya in the near future, was just hoping to throw a few questions the way of someone who's there now to get a bit more of a feel for the place beyond what I can deduce from the Libya Herald.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSA much better - unless you go there with one of the truly awful outfits.

A nice cushy billet with KFUPM has a lot to recommend it.
Anaustez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
KSA much better - unless you go there with one of the truly awful outfits.

A nice cushy billet with KFUPM has a lot to recommend it.

I've actually just been offered a job in KSA today. Khobar - fairly good terms but I was unsure about it because they seem to be taking me there on a business visa and worrying about the Iqama later. Plus my (sketchy) Levantine Arabic has a chance of being understood in Libya, I think - In KSA I'm not going to be able to communicate at all, am I?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get by fine with your Libnani accent and/or vocabulary. My Arabic has always been heavily tinged with Palestinian, mixed in with some Hejazi. I never had problems and in fact some Bedu told me I spoke better "Fusha" than they did !!!
As to why I acquired Palestinian Arabic in my 20s - my lips are sealed and you will have to wait for the archives to be opened up after my departure from this Vale of Tears.
I recommend caution with the Business Visa though. Advantage of KFUPM or DCC is that they offer pukka work permits and multiple exit visas.

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anaustez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
You will get by fine with your Libnani accent and/or vocabulary. My Arabic has always been heavily tinged with Palestinian, mixed in with some Hejazi. I never had problems and in fact some Bedu told me I spoke better "Fusha" than they did !!!
As to why I acquired Palesti9nian Arabic in my 20s - my lips are sealed and you will have to wait for the archives to be opened up after my departure from this Vale of Tears.
I recommend caution with the Business Visa though. Advantage of KFUPM or DCC is that they offer pukka work permits and multiple exit visas.

Good to know, my Arabic is Palestinian, too (spent the last 2.5 years in the West Bank).
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone go to Libya when there are jobs in Saudi ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: