Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian college/uni ESL job search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagoyaguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Canadian college/uni ESL job search Reply with quote

Hello All!

Ex-pat Canadian here, I've been living in Japan the past 20 years and am thinking about coming home. A big barrier, of course, is the job hunt.

I've been teaching university here in Japan for a decade, have presentations/publications, MEd (TESOL), and so on. My question is: Where to find jobs? I'm not picky about the location- I don't have any kids to worry about or anything like that. I'm just looking for a place to start looking and making plans for the future.

Are there any websites dedicted to tertiary education job hunting? Should I just start cold contacting schools I am interested in?

Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the quals also - but the job market is extremely saturated and I've found that Ontario is basically impossible, and I've got an equally well qualified and experienced friend who's been trying to find something in Vancouver for a couple of years with no luck so far. It's likely easier in less-popular areas....and you may want to check out TESL Canada's requirements for certification online. There is some sort of portfolio one can compile and present for Canadian recognition, but others will know more than I about this - been a couple of years since I was concerned about finding a job in the country.
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have a good chance at a CEGEP here in Quebec! I would start cold-calling here, although you will probably need some functional French.
cassava

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you speak French fluently, your best bet might be to look for a job in Quebec. However, even in this province, the fact that you have been away from Canada for twenty years will be a major disadvantage. You are going to have to be extremely well qualified in some special area in order to make it on to a short list for interview.

If I were in your position, I would not even bother to waste my time looking for a teaching job. I would simply get retrained for a job in the oil/potash industries and head off to Alberta/Saskatchewan.
ETG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Canadian college/uni search Reply with quote

Dear Nagoyaguy

Keep an eye on the following sites

AUCC.ca

careerbeacon.com

each of the provincial TESL sites (not all province have one, unfortunately)
they do job ads

get in touch with universities directly

look at Language Canada site and find accredited schools

that's a start

CROWDED field so be realistic, but there are jobs out there if you are really engaged in the search

good luck
E.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: