Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL teaching position in central NC without MA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWallace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: ESL teaching position in central NC without MA? Reply with quote

I am interested in finding an ESL teaching position that does not require a Master's degree in Education or in TESOL. I do have an MA in philosophy.

I have nine years of experience teaching ESL in New York City, from 2000 until 2008. In June of 2008, I relocated to Winston-Salem NC, where my elderly parents live. In New York, I worked for a private school from March of 2000 until September 11th, 2001 (the school was located in the World Trade Center); soon after, I started working at a not-for-profit community center in the South Bronx. Neither establishment required a Master's degree in Education or in TESOL. In New York City, these kinds of small schools that are not operated by the New York City Board of Education are quite common. I would like to find a similar institution within 100 miles of Winston-Salem, but almost all the schools I find when I do internet searches are government-run schools that require a Master's degree in either Education or TESOL.

I would greatly appreciate any input anyone could give me.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might take a look at eslgold.com, which lists the ESL schools and universities for each state. You'd have to check out those in your target area for openings/qualifications. However, I doubt you'll find the number of private language schools in NC as high as those in NY; the latter is way more ethnically and linguistically diverse.

Other suggestions:

- Join the state's TESOL affiliate for workshops and networking purposes, especially since 1) you're new to TESL in the area; and 2) it seems you haven't taught ESL in 5 years, which makes you appear out-of-touch with the ESL teaching community as a whole.

- Competition for these positions is likely to be stiff and the required qualifications inflexible. Consider beefing up your TESL credentials by returning to university for a related MA or at least a grad cert in TEFL/TESL. Also, if you don't have a teaching qualification such as a CELTA or SIT TESOL (you didn't mention in your post), then now may be the time to get one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: