Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there ESL jobs available in October?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Are there ESL jobs available in October? Reply with quote

In Spain, it's peak hiring season for schools. I'm living in Valencia at the moment and have been searching for a job here for almost 2 weeks. In that time, I've had 6 interviews including a streak of one interview every business days for the past five business days and haven't had much luck. Either I didn't want the job or they didn't want me. What I'd like to do is prepare for a backup in case things go wrong and I can't get a job. I'd like to avoid going to the Far East or Southeast Asia. I am an epileptic and I may have a hard time finding my necessary medicine.

The ESL job market in Spain appears to dry up in October. So, I need to go to a place that doesn't dry up then. I have a CELTA and teaching experience. Is the job market the same way in other European countries in October? Russia and Turkey might not be part of the EU, but do they have the same hiring seasons that the EU countries do?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most job contracts in the region are Sept/October through June. There is little new work around in Oct/Nov/Dec. Small hiring bump is common in January, to accommodate contracts that schools land starting in Jan and to make up for teachers who don't return from winter holidays.

I can speak directly for Netherlands and Czech Rep: October is bleak.

You might try Luxembourg - there used to be two language schools in Lux. city which hire for banking industry stuff. EU citizens only and it's not a particularly attractive location because 1. weather is similar to London and 2. split shifts at very early/late hours are the norm. And my info on Luxembourg is 10 years old, so things may well have changed, but in the past there were sometimes openings in Oct.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the same apply for Russia and Turkey?

Just trying to find something if I can't hook up a job by the end of September.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe post on the Turkey and Russia forums. In my limited experience in both countries, October isn't any sort of peak hiring period, but ask the experts - they don't all hang out here.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
You might try Luxembourg - there used to be two language schools in Lux. city which hire for banking industry stuff. EU citizens only and it's not a particularly attractive location because 1. weather is similar to London and 2. split shifts at very early/late hours are the norm. And my info on Luxembourg is 10 years old, so things may well have changed, but in the past there were sometimes openings in Oct.

Spiral,

I assume you lived and worked in Luxembourg 10 years ago, then. How did you enjoy that experience? Luxembourg is a country we don't often hear much about. I gather then there is a unique mix of French, German and Belgium culture and language there. How were the students?

Sucks about the weather. Had no idea it was like teh weather in the UK.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Luxembourg, but I'm not in particular need of a fast-paced life. The city is small but very nice. Ten years ago: Students are mostly in the financial sector, had English in high school, and need to improve it to meet standards to work in international banking. Heavier on native French speakers than German. French is the language of daily business; the local language for daily life - except that masses of people commute in and out from France daily. They tend not to be very motivated, as English isn't a daily necessity. Split shifts common; heavy on evening classes. Travel around the city and even over borders to reach the offices of students. Few materials provided; heavy on prep.
Housing costs very high; food and entertainment and travel relatively low.
Overall, in the city when I was there, probably about 30 ESL teachers max. It's a small place. Don't send streams of teachers there; job market will be saturated with one or two newbies per year.
PhoenixSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer on Turkey, but Russia will still be hiring in October. I only recently arrived out here 3 weeks ago, but I'm enjoying the experience so far.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I liked Luxembourg, but I'm not in particular need of a fast-paced life. The city is small but very nice.

Ten years ago: Students are mostly in the financial sector, had English in high school, and need to improve it to meet standards to work in international banking.

Heavier on native French speakers than German. French is the language of daily business; the local language for daily life - except that masses of people commute in and out from France daily. They tend not to be very motivated, as English isn't a daily necessity. Split shifts common; heavy on evening classes. Travel around the city and even over borders to reach the offices of students. Few materials provided; heavy on prep.

Housing costs very high; food and entertainment and travel relatively low.
Overall, in the city when I was there, probably about 30 ESL teachers max. It's a small place. Don't send streams of teachers there; job market will be saturated with one or two newbies per year.

Nice little summary of TEFL scene in Luxembourg. Interesting about the masses of French coming into the country every day to work, I didn't know that. I'd like to visit I guess, but as far as EFL teaching goes I'd give it a pass. Thanks for the info, though.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still job opportunities in Russia now, but by the time the visa process is through with you, you'd be starting work no earlier than the very end of October, probably mid-November.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the visa process faster as an American citizen or as a citizen of an EU country? Or is there no difference?
PhoenixSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisX wrote:
Is the visa process faster as an American citizen or as a citizen of an EU country? Or is there no difference?

It'd be the same. The process is rather easy, as the company does the vast majority of it. It's just waiting for the invitation that makes it so long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: