Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Average Hong Kong Salary for ESL teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your ESL teaching salary in Hong Kong?
10000 - 15000
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
15001 - 20000
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
20001 - 25000
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
25k +
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

dreambuddha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Average Hong Kong Salary for ESL teacher Reply with quote

Just wondering what the average salary is for an ESL teacher in Hong Kong. Including accommodation or not?

Trying to gauge my offer. Thanks.
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that most TEFLers in HK would come in the 15-20K category without accommodation, the average probably being around 18K.

Your offer of 14.5 with accommodation would put you at the upper end, assuming the flat is OK and you don't have to shell out for a change of locale.

Still, bear in mind that TEFlers are at the bottom end of the pecking order as far as teaching salaries go in HK and you're not going to get rich. On 14.5 with your accommodation taken care of you should be OK for a couple of decent nights out a week and the occasional trip to the motherland, but I doubt you'll make big inroads into your student loans.
Sodixy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere from 16k to 22 k. Depends on your credentials.
Honky Nick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big expense in Hong Kong is rent and, as Perilla said, 14.5 should be plenty to work with if you don't have to worry about accommodation.

It sounds like enough to get you started and you can always look for a better-paid position once you've been here for a while. NET scheme pays extremely well and if you hustle well and contact schools directly, there's still a chance to get on it even with no PGCE. Lots of opportunity once you're here.
kraggy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honky Nick wrote:
The big expense in Hong Kong is rent and, as Perilla said, 14.5 should be plenty to work with if you don't have to worry about accommodation.

It sounds like enough to get you started and you can always look for a better-paid position once you've been here for a while. NET scheme pays extremely well and if you hustle well and contact schools directly, there's still a chance to get on it even with no PGCE. Lots of opportunity once you're here.

Are the requirement for the NET programme not absolutely defined and strict?

I have a B.Ed in primary school teaching and 2 years teaching ESL in Korea but not TEFL/TESOL qualification. Could I get in without the TEFL qualification do you think?
sistercream

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that if they can't find enough staff who already have TEFL qualifications, they will also accept others on the understanding that they will complete a course within a set period (2 years?). Or am I getting this mixed up with getting a PGDE?

But with your qualifications & experience, you might also want to consider a regular class teaching job in one of the international schools. Even if you don't score one of the top tier ones immediately (unlikely tho not impossible with only 2 years experience), you would still earn a reasonably comfortable salary. International schools often have better working conditions than the NET positions, too Smile
Perilla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sistercream wrote:
I understand that if they can't find enough staff who already have TEFL qualifications, they will also accept others on the understanding that they will complete a course within a set period (2 years?).

I'm fairly sure this is correct. If the NET scheme employs teachers without QTS they will surely accept those without a TEFL cert, albeit with a deadline for completion of one. Having said that, my wife has been a NET since 1999 and she doesn't have a TEFL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: