Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BA English & Linguistics + CELTA. What to expect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunShan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: BA English & Linguistics + CELTA. What to expect? Reply with quote

Hi,

32 year old male
Native English speaker
British passport
1st class BA honours degree in English & Linguistics (English University)
CELTA
No teaching experience

What sort of job, pay & benefits should I be looking for?

Interested in any areas.

Thanks in advance.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best choice for a "language academy" style job would be WSI (Wall Street Indonesia). They might not be perfect but they pay 16-17 million rupiah a month and have a reputation for only employing legal teachers. This contrasts with TBI, which pay 14-15 million at their core schools and as little as 9 million at TBI Bekasi and TBI Bogor. TBI have been advertsizing on tefl.com again this week. They have not been able to get enough qualified teachers for 3 years now. We heard that they are still using loads of illegals in 2013.

Better again may be a National Plus school. I know people who have got upwards from 18 million working at Penabur. You might struggle with no teaching experience but then again you have the right degree so it is worth a try. Otherwise you can just exlpore National Plus schools generally. There are online lists.
Puppets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bradley here, don't even bother with the Language Schools such as EF or TBI, you can get paid far more than they are willing to offer.

Go to a National Plus school or Wall Street. Bradley is right about Penabur, it's a fantastic school and so is Sekolah Bogor Raya in Bogor, they pay well and employ native speakers.
Puppets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bradley here, don't even bother with the Language Schools such as EF or TBI, you can get paid far more than they are willing to offer.

Go to a National Plus school or Wall Street. Bradley is right about Penabur, it's a fantastic school and so is Sekolah Bogor Raya in Bogor, they pay well and employ native speakers.
Puppets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jef dam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, there are more language schools in Jakarta than EF and TBI, and with your BA you should have absolutely no problem finding a job with a decent enough salary. AIM, EEC, and Direct English would all be worth looking into at least. They should all have an online presence.

RE: National + schools. It's currently well into the first semester of the school year so finding a job right now would be difficult. I'm not saying you wouldn't find one, but I'd think twice about a job that hasn't already been filled / already been vacated at this stage of the academic year.

Furthermore, as you have no experience, I would advise against taking a Nat+ job were one to come up. You'll essentially be supplementary staff, giving the students some speaking practice, which in theory is fine. However, classes in Nat + schools tend to be 25+ students, ranging from absolute beginners to advanced learners, which is a hugely challenging set of classroom circumstances

There's a very high chance that you'd be the only westerner in the department, too. This has a couple of drawbacks. Firstly, as all the students (and their parents) expect classes with the native speaker, you will have a lot of (large) classes. Secondly, unless you speak Bahasa to an acceptable standard, or your colleagues have a good handle on English, there's a huge scope for things to go pear-shaped through mis-communications / non-communications.

Bear in mind, every school is different so what I've said doesn't necessarily hold true for all Nat+ schools, but in my own experience, and from numerous anecdotes I've heard from various teachers over the years, it'd be the rule rather than the exception.

Penabur outsource to a company called UPI, as such they have an office in Jakarta where the teachers go when they're not on site at their respective schools. This would be a serious plus point for someone with no experience considering a Nat+ job as you'd have easy access to experienced native speakers should you need help with something.

Both Penabur and UPI should have online presences.
Kebo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppets wrote:

Puppet,

What would you consider a good salary?

Thanks,
Kebo
Kebo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kebo"]
Puppets wrote:

Puppet,

What would you consider a good salary?

Thanks,
Kebo[/q

Well, thanks anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: