Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cali for Christmas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrNapalmstrike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Cali for Christmas? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, though I've been reading it for over a year. I finally took the plunge, and am leaving for my CELTA class at IH Bogota in November (anyone with some insight into the class please feel free to PM me). I was thinking of going to Cali after the course to look for jobs, but research on the internet says that there is a big festival in Cali at that time. I know with Christmas and New Year that I'm already at a disadvantage with finding a job, but with the festival there as well, would I have better luck in Barranquilla or other cities?

On a separate note, has anyone been to that festival in Cali? is it worth going to just because I will have a hard time finding a job between mid December and the first of the year anyway?

Thanks,
-Doc
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you plan on teaching ESL for the nxt 5-10 years in countries where you actually need a CELTA.

CELTA is a significant financial commitment.

Many people teaching in Colombia do not have a CELTA.

Main requirement is simply being a native speaking and holding a BA.

Come up with a plan for the next 3-5 years. Where do you want to teach etc. Then go and research about said places and the requirements for teaching ESL.

For the money your paying for a CELTA (2-3k?) you could almost get your real teaching license (5-6K) through an online certification program and be in position for much better jobs, career future, more money etc.
DrNapalmstrike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I've been researching this for a while now, and may move on to SEA, but I thought the transition may be easier in SA. I already speak a little Spanish, enough to walk around with, and it is way closer to home if I decide that ESL teaching is not for me. I may go on to get a teaching license, if I find that I enjoy it, online or otherwise, but would like to have a CELTA as a base. I have a BA in English, but no real quals other than that. 29 year old male with a Midwestern US accent if that matters.

My plan was to search for jobs in Bogota, Cali, and Medellin while my tourist visa is good after my course. From what I've read on the Colombia forum, if I put in some legwork, even with no experience, I should be able to find some institute or collegio work. I'm single and am, what you may call, "flexible" about my living conditions (I don't mind having roommates, small apartments, I'm used to taking public transportation everywhere, etc). If my visa expires, I was thinking of going north to Panama City or San Jose, CR. After a year or two, if I handle the cultural change well, then I may consider moving to the other side of the world. China or Japan or somewhere where my CELTA will matter, and my experience will look good, and I could show people pictures of the paradise I used to live in while it snows outside my room the school has paid for. I understand that this isn't maybe the most cost efficient way about becoming an ESL teacher, but SA does have its draw. And who knows, maybe I will make some great connections and find a job that allows me to stay in South (or Central) America.
What would you suggest in that case? Any places to avoid? Any places to look in to? Books to read or websites that are good for beginning teachers?
Tips from the pros?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA in English already puts you ahead of the pack. I were you id just get a 100+ hour TEFL/TESOL certification. Will be cheaper. Or look for a cheaper CELTA equivalent ie 100 hours on site with guided instruction / practice.

Then after teaching ESL a few years and if you decide to try and make a career out of it or doing it 5+ years then id suggest getting a CELTA or MA TESOL. MA TESOL if your serious about teaching ESL long term.

As far as LA is concerned stay in Colombia. Its the best place all things considered for living and teaching ESL imo. Bogota having the most opportunities.

Just do your research about the pros and cons of everything. Requirements needed for x countries. Pay. etc.
DrNapalmstrike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, Collegio work seems to be the best gig I can get with no experience. Is that what I should be looking for? Or should I just knock on every door, so to speak, and just take whatever decent offer comes first? I'd really like to find work in Barranquilla or somewhere along the Caribbean coast, or Cali for the dancing. Would I not be able to find work there?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what your goals are.

Best is subjective. Money wise, yes. Work / stress wise no.

If you want a colegio job, then id first go to every colegio and talk to the appropriate person and hand out your CV. Spend like a week or two doing that. Then go and do the same for the the language institutes. Then pick the best offer you can find.

Its possible to find a job in Quilla and Cali. However it will be significantly harder compared to Bogota due to the number of schools, institutes, and general teaching opportunities.

You can try those other cities, but you run the risk of not finding a job and running through funds.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Cali very much but the work opportunities are poor, overall. Even in Bogota teachers I met were running around teaching split shifts and getting paid little.

I know others, like me, who moved to the Middle East to make money. Even Japan and Korea would be better for people with a couple of years teaching experience.

For the colegio jobs you need to make contacts and have a decent degree/teaching qualifications, especially in the cities where competition is fierce.

Just before I left I was offered a colegio job in Cali for 2 million pesos a month as an example. For the top schools many staff will be hired from abroad and have high school teaching experience.
DrNapalmstrike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: So... Bogota? Reply with quote

@currentaffairs Could you explain what you mean by job opportunities being "poor"? "Poor" as in few in number? Meaning lots of low paying jobs and not as many high paying ones? Meaning the cost of living exceeds the wage which I would probably make with only a CELTA and no experience?

So the consensus is Bogota as the best place in the region for someone with a CELTA and no experience? IDK what currentaffairs means by "decent degree" but if it helps my BA is in English from Michigan State University, we were in the top 10 English programs in the US when I started there I do believe. Does which University your degree is from really matter? Anyway, I would rather live somewhere with a nicer climate than Bogota (I like it hot), but only hear vague references of how "poor" the job market is or, my favorite, "just come and see" how any city in Colombia other than Bogota is. If I showed up in Cali, Barranquilla, or Medellin even in December or January, could anyone estimate which city employment could be found quickest? Least likely to find a job? Are we talking about days, weeks, or months of turning in CVs?

oh and p.s. why does it seem like I'm the only one who is not double spacing their comments? Newb trait or just happy coincidence?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogota is the best place for everyone looking for work. Simply because it has the best jobs and the most jobs in general.

You should be able to find some type of employment within a month in most any major city so long as you are not picky and take any offer.

Hence why most people say to bring enough money for a flight back home and money to hold you over 1-2 months. Id say 2 to be on the safe side as it could take 3 weeks to find a job then another 3-4 weeks to get paid.

If I were to go to Colombia id bring 500 for my flight back home plus 1,500-1,600 dollars for living expenses. So around 2,000 usd total.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I mean by poor? I mean crappy chain schools, crappy hours, and crappy pay. I taught at universities in Japan for six years so my tolerance levels will different from yours, though. Cali/Colombia is a good place to be and I really enjoyed it. However, once you get out of the bars and stop dancing (I dance salsa and that is why I went to Cali in the first place) you will find it tough to get a decent job...

In more detail, the teachers I knew in Bogota were working for schools and doing quite a bit of 1 to 1 teaching for these schools. They were doing shifts like 7-9am, a couple of hours in the afternoon, and then some work in the evening all over the city. This was quite typical. For me, I wouldn't live like that personally as it wastes your day and tires you out.

The colegio jobs are better because you have fixed hours and no evening work. However, the colegio job that I was offered only paid 2 million pesos a month which is not a lot. The working day was 7am-4pm, and around once a month there was a training day at the weekend. This colegio was not a top international school but it was well known in Cali and of good standing.

You can get a job in Cali/Bogota, and you do have a degree in English which is a plus. However, be prepared to be working at unsociable hours and not to be paid that much!

PS Regarding the salsa festival, you will have a good time but it won't be ideal for finding work. Really, I would spend the first month having fun and then around February/March things pick up and schools will start hiring. If you need any info on salsa schools, clubs or teachers just pm me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: