Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS examiner certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notnow

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prankster: I also hate the way that the BC looks out for itself at the cost of examiners. Is this any different to how many other companies conduct business, however? Also consider the fact that the BC has never been in the position to control examiners in the way that an employer in China can. We've always voluntarily followed orders and put up with sh*t. Why? Consistently frequent offers of work that translate into great pay month after mismanaged month. And that is with examiners as independent contractors. Why would the level of work offered or the level of mismanagement be worse now considering the new business model requires fully employed examiners and only 300 for the whole of China? You'll probably still say that the BC owning our visas gives them absolute control now. But does it? Think about it. Doesn't becoming 1 of only 300, fully fledged, BC staff with 12 month contracts give us real power for once?

Jezza: As far as I know there has been no indication IDP will get involved in delivery. Everything I've seen and heard suggests the BC will continue to deliver IELTS.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a poster comes on here and starts from jump street accusing folk of tollism

Quote:
Hello there. I'm not a troll.
Kind of normal these days to have a troll accused someone of being a troll

really was the "troll?" remark deserved....isn't it rather trollish to make this little notation ...

In my experience British companies and unis will take any advantage .. no standards but rather interested in ignoring or skirting regs and labor law ..only interested in the just a bottom line
notnow

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBillyNO wrote:
When a poster comes on here and starts from jump street accusing folk of tollism

Quote:
Hello there. I'm not a troll.

really was the "troll?" remark deserved....isn't it rather trollish to make this little notation ...

That was a tiny query inside brackets at the very bottom of a perfectly civil reply. Hardly deserves to be jumped on the way you have. The "Troll?" remark was in response to how the poster's question made little sense, as trolls often do, and that it was their very first post.

Anyway, the poster replied and, as you can see, I was reassured they aren't a troll.

Jezza: I apologise if my remark offended you
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notnow, the new pay structure is utter rubbish. Read the new set-up carefully, and you will see examiners who choose it are being done over, good and proper.

I'm leaving China, and definitely not signing that piece of toilet paper.

I can have a great life in Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, South America - teaching a bit, and examining a bit.

BC China is not going to be my boss. Not now, not ever.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hardly deserves to be jumped on the way you have. The "Troll?" remark was in response to how the poster's question made little sense, as trolls often do, and that it was their very first post.

Notnow, now is not the time to be finger pointing...with 14 post you are obliviously so much more entrenched in this NO-MAN's land called Daves.....
vikeologist

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notnow wrote:
Why is it that many examiners on here and elsewhere distrust the bc so much? When all is said and done they are a devil that's known and kind of benign really. Remember many of us are quite happy to trot off and sign up with a Chinese school relatively sight unseen. Would you say the bc pulls Chinese management style bs? Sure they grossly misjudged the visa changes and are mildly incompetent from time to time. What I see most of the time is they look out for number one rather than pure evil or full-blown Chinese-style mismanagement.

I don't think that potential examiners are the kind of people that would trot off and sign with a Chinese school sight unseen.

Your interpretation of the BC is relatively close to mine, but I think that is putting the best spin on them. Most examiners opinions seem to be somewhere on the spectrum of mildly incompetent to deliberately dishonest, with most somewhere in the middle. While this presents absolutely no problem working for them part-time, it is different when there are things that I, at least, am not clear on as regards the employment option.

I agree with you that it's a take it or leave it situation. The trouble is that the BC have changed their mind about what they're doing so often in the last 9 months that some examiners are patiently waiting for the next instalment. Some do believe that everything will be back to 'normal' in about 6 months.

I think that the BC will employ the numbers it's stated and there will be enough work for everybody. Whatever opinion one may have of Michael King, the examiners will be line managed by the regional managers. My regional managers are fine. We all want the same things, but it won't be an equal partnership and examiners' power will be non-existent.

I'd imagine the BC would be a bit scared of losing their monopoly on IELTS, but maybe they have it in writing somewhere. If not, the dangers of being undercut by an organisation setting up shop in big cities without a centre, or meeting demand that they can't because they don't have enough examiners, would be a bit frightening. However, I don't think the government would allow anybody to hire examiners on a casual basis.

Last edited by vikeologist on Wed May 07, 2014 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
notnow

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBillyNO wrote:
Quote:
Hardly deserves to be jumped on the way you have. The "Troll?" remark was in response to how the poster's question made little sense, as trolls often do, and that it was their very first post.

Notnow, now is not the time to be finger pointing...with 14 post you are obliviously so much more entrenched in this NO-MAN's land called Daves.....

It was a gentle query, some might say somewhat justified, I've apologised to Jezza, I will try to be more careful in future. What is it you want, me to bend over and spank my butt for you?
notnow

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
notnow, the new pay structure is utter rubbish. Read the new set-up carefully, and you will see examiners who choose it are being done over, good and proper.

I'm leaving China, and definitely not signing that piece of toilet paper.

I can have a great life in Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, South America - teaching a bit, and examining a bit.

BC China is not going to be my boss. Not now, not ever.

The pay structure is rubbish for the core 6 days. The rest of the time is at current piece-rate. The BC needs the work done so I trust them to offer plenty of top-up work. Why wouldn't they? How are examiners going to be "done over"? 300 examiners will need to do the work of over 700. How is the BC going to do over these 300 examiners good and proper? By offering them too much work? Can't see people complaining much about that, especially considering top-up work is entirely optional.

Good luck whatever you choose to do next. Only you know what is your best option.
buffalobill12323

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Reads like google translate
buffalobill12323

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikeologist wrote:
Well, at least they kept their word and got the proposal out by the end of April. (They clicked on send and then ran out of the office for the May Day holiday before the bewildered and astonished phone calls started).

I'll be honest. there's parts of the proposal that are so counter-intuitive, I'm assuming that the fault lies with me not understanding it, so I'm waiting till next weekend to discuss with other examiners.

A tiny fraction of travel costs?
We pay for our own hotels?

There's a lot of other things. The reality is that there aren't a lot of current examiners (i.e. the Z visa ones) that were going to do this anyway. Of course, the people who haven't been able to examine for the last 6 months (in china) are probably quite keen on all this.

I can't see any mention of paying for hotels in the official attachments sent out - where did you come by that info?
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How is the BC going to do over these 300 examiners good and proper?

Those 300 examiners will be lapdogs of the BC. Examine here, examine there, examine six days in a row. Don't examine when you're asked to and we'll put you on the(s)hit list - believe me; BC has one of those. Most examiners are aware of it.

As a part-time examiner I decline work, and also do not travel, except to one other city (by HSR). I don't fly to examine as the last time I was supposed to I sat in the airport for six hours. The supervisor then phoned and told me to go home, with no compensation for those six hours whatsoever.

The new base salary is being taxed at a higher rate than my uni salary (which is the same, for the same amount of weekly hours).

And you can't work for any other institution.

That is well and truly owned.

Nah, you'd be a fool to stick with the Circus.

But there are men and women foolish enough to do just that.

Wait for the complaint to roll in. I'll be setting up a new Circus-free life outside of the Muddled Kingdom.

Can't wait..
vikeologist

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buffalobill12323 wrote:
vikeologist wrote:
Well, at least they kept their word and got the proposal out by the end of April. (They clicked on send and then ran out of the office for the May Day holiday before the bewildered and astonished phone calls started).

I'll be honest. there's parts of the proposal that are so counter-intuitive, I'm assuming that the fault lies with me not understanding it, so I'm waiting till next weekend to discuss with other examiners.

A tiny fraction of travel costs?
We pay for our own hotels?

There's a lot of other things. The reality is that there aren't a lot of current examiners (i.e. the Z visa ones) that were going to do this anyway. Of course, the people who haven't been able to examine for the last 6 months (in china) are probably quite keen on all this.

I can't see any mention of paying for hotels in the official attachments sent out - where did you come by that info?

I admitted I might have misunderstood. At first I thought that's what the 'accommodation allowance' or lack thereof part was about.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Reads like google translate

Reads like the gospel....buffalobill12323 and if your insinuating that it is a translations from Chinese, and an oh so cleaver way of indicating that I am Chinese....

so out of curiosity what Chinese word do you think "jump street" was before translation. 街头跳
Jezza

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it you want, me to bend over and spank my butt for you?[/quote]

No need for that! All is fine. I will try to add more detail in future posts.
notnow

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notnow wrote:
What is it you want, me to bend over and spank my butt for you?

Jezza wrote:
No need for that! All is fine. I will try to add more detail in future posts.

Oh, don't worry, that wasn't directed at you. It was for NoBillyNO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: