Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS examiner certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed working 8am-8pm this weekend. 50 candidates.

Gotta love it! (BC's shocking management and disregard for it's examiners)
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
I really enjoyed working 8am-8pm this weekend. 50 candidates.

Gotta love it! (BC's shocking management and disregard for it's examiners)

Oof. Hopefully the compensation was more than adequate.

On second thought, I don't think I'll be knockin' on BC's door next year sniffin' around for "invigilator" jobs.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
vikeologist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that says quite a lot about you, FC, especially the 'invigilator' comment.

I sometimes ask students about whether they think there should be a working time law that limits how many hours someone should be able to work, and they often say, yes, people should work at least 40 hours a week.

No, I explain, I mean, should people be allowed to work 80 hours a week if they get paid for all 80? They look at me confused. Why is this dumb laowai asking such a stupid question? (For all I know, there is such a law in China, but nobody has ever known about it).

Some examiners have had a brutal workload over the last week. Perhaps they shouldn't have been asked or needed to do it. Perhaps it's symptomatic of problems, but you know, I didn't hear one person complain about it, and why should they? Some examiners earned a lot of money over the last week.

A lot!

and although in their position I would probably have been drooling at the mouth and semi comatose, the people I felt sorry for were the examiners who aren't able to do it anymore, and whose income stream has been cut off. (I appreciate that some of you feel they were working illegally, and are therefore not entitled to sympathy, but it's not like they were selling drugs or committing burglary).

I feel a little bit sorry for me as well, because my term hasn't finished, so I could only work the weekend, and missed out on a lot of work.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned down two test sessions besides the three I've done this month. No qualms.

I also accepted a third in another region, only for the flight to be cancelled, and me told to go home from the airport - compensation for that: nada. I sat in that airport for seven hours, seven wasted hours of my life.

BC is fully aware they can use and abuse examiners, and they do. The 'legal' ones and the 'illegal' ones.

I'm not a money wh-re, so I declined to be shipped off to various parts of the country, with 2+ hour flight delays and/or cancellations at the airports.

It's all about the money (I have enough). And self-respect. I have complained. BC doesn't give a damn, I'm replaceable. I don't have a contract with them. I'm one of their unseen (but taxed) workers.

BC's got a tough year ahead of them. But plenty of $$ lovers who will do the work (cuz the money's so great Rolling Eyes )
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikeologist wrote:
I think that says quite a lot about you, FC, especially the 'invigilator' comment.

It can perhaps. Money is good and I do love getting extra amounts of it, but sometimes there is a cost to giving up weekends to get an extra wheelbarrow full of the dosh. I am not sure I would want to do that…but maybe I would…but then again if the work were to become quite mundane, then I am not sure that I would want to do it, regardless of the compensation.

Well, maybe I would knock on BC's door next year and see if they answer.

So I think if anything, my wishy-washiness over this says quite a lot.

Regarding the "invigilator" comment, it wasn't meant to be snarky. I've a Chinese friend here who is an "invigilator" for IELTS testing. I was at her house and saw her name badge. "Invigilator, what's that?" I inquired. She told me. This is a new vocabulary word for me. I like using it and I don't intend to forget it.

Happy Holly-daze,
Warm regards,
fat_chris

Last edited by fat_chris on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
I also accepted a third in another region, only for the flight to be cancelled, and me told to go home from the airport - compensation for that: nada. I sat in that airport for seven hours, seven wasted hours of my life.

BC is fully aware they can use and abuse examiners, and they do. The 'legal' ones and the 'illegal' ones.

I'm not a money wh-re, so I declined to be shipped off to various parts of the country, with 2+ hour flight delays and/or cancellations at the airports.

It's all about the money (I have enough). And self-respect. I have complained. BC doesn't give a damn, I'm replaceable. I don't have a contract with them. I'm one of their unseen (but taxed) workers.

BC's got a tough year ahead of them. But plenty of $$ lovers who will do the work (cuz the money's so great Rolling Eyes )

This. My thoughts exactly.

I tried to express this in my post above but theoriginalprankster, you expressed this perfectly. Many thanks.

I'm not a moneywh-re either, so mundane, long work on the weekend is not so attractive, regardless of the price tag attached to it.

Hear, hear! It's ALL about self-respect and not allowing oneself to be jerked around.

Happy Holly-daze,
Warm regards,
fat_chris
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invigilator. So much more to the point than a rude-sounding word like 'proctoring' Very Happy
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Invigilator. So much more to the point than a rude-sounding word like 'proctoring' Very Happy

Oh!

I agree. I like the word invigilator much more than the word proctor.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
shawadywady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a wild ride in the run-up to Christmas for some, but a lucrative one.

Would they do the same when taxed at 30% is the question. (well, one question. there are lots more)

Most surprising news for me is that some people on tourist visas are still willing to sign the new agreement and mark scripts in January - surely the writing's on the wall? Take a long holiday people, wait & see how this pans out.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those without the proper visa.. if the work book for another university or company is actually legal under the immigration and labor board rules....but I understand the BC (considers themselves to not be) sidestepping the law by employing those without proper papers in the embassy where they supposedly have immunity...is this just another way for the BC to flaunt breaking the law or is this a legitimate alternative...anyway I understand it is only for this month...but how can anyone expect native employers to observe the law when British companies seem to disregard the labor rules and seemingly disregard the legal well being of their employees.. which are not really employees .. according to the BC....
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a hard drive towards assessments of locals by locals, not foreigners, in this country. That most likely comes with the proficiency tests too. TOEFL has been adjusted to computers so well that students can learn how to pass the test. As for the IELTS, I am guessing there is a local movement to rattle the cage of the body that manages the exams which I suppose is the...BC. To satisfy the locals, you have to give them the opportunity to learn how to pass the test.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many Chinese nationals are at the necessary level (9) to be examiners? How many Chinese nationals have you met that are even at level 8?

The reality is that the vast majority of candidates in China (my guesstimate 90% of them) are at levels 5 or 6 for speaking, but I doubt the BC could start lowering the standards for examiners.

Some people have said that the work is often tedious, and I understand that point of view, but I think when you get candidates at level 8 or above, it's pretty tricky. If they're near a 9, it's terrifying. Very low level candidates can be difficult to examine as well.

There are Chinese examiners, but I suspect most of them have lived overseas for a considerable time.

Just because examining can become boring (although at first I definitely didn't find it boring) doesn't necessarily mean that it's easy, or that everyone can do it.

One of the teachers at my Uni who has lied about being an IELTS examiner (there's been more than one it seems) when applying eventually admitted to me that he wasn't, but he could be; by which he meant he could be except for his lack of qualifications, experience and having ever even applied to be an examiner. Those of you who are getting your (often hilariously inaccurate) information from the 'examiners' who work near you, take my word for it. Laowais aren't always honest about their achievements or status.

I think the IELTS exam (at least the speaking part) is fairly robust. Not only are there very few Chinese people at level 9, but there are very few anywhere near level 9. Most student need a 6.5 to study abroad. I really doubt that most English teachers at my Uni could get a 6.5 for Speaking, (though I suspect that they may be often be better at the other elements).

To sum up, I doubt there is really as large a pool of prospective examiners as some of you seem to be assuming.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that there may be a pressure on people who own/run the tests in this country. The requests or obligations that BC is asked for may be reflecting on the examiners' situation. The issue really may not be the examiners but examinees. The common band 5-6 that has just been mentioned is the trouble. And, the foreign teachers' ability to improve the proficiency of prospective test takers only supports what I am trying to establish as a motive for the local powers here. Of course, this is just a conspiracy theory and if the whole world of IELTS examiners turns around the same rules, so be it. I, then, suffer from a paraoid schizophrenia. TOEFL, to my knowledge, adjusted to the market which is huge in China and perhaps India.

My conclusion is that foreign institutions on mainland China succumb to local requests. Whether the world is adjusting to some countries and their large markets remains open for debates.

Last edited by wonderingjoesmith on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
vikeologist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the whole world of IELTS examiners turns around the same rules. When you do your training, the certification 'test' is sent to the UK to determine whether you can be an examiner.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, the whole world of IELTS examiners turns around the same rules. When you do your training, the certification 'test' is sent to the UK to determine whether you can be an examiner.
Makes sense. It'd be tough to explain any inconsistencies in Latin America, Africa, EU or China. Sorry for my hallucinations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: