Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS examiner certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigel2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: cockle pickers Reply with quote

So, the mighty BC are harbouring cockle pickers on their premises! What do you think will happen next?
(What would Cameron do if the Confucius Institute did the same thing in the UK?)
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how they've messed up.

They've used foreign workers as examiners and markers.

Decided to charge tax, and then have the government squeeze them.

Good thing I'm re-certifying, then outta there.

BC offers much better options in other countries.

And BC China is in a bad situation now. They messed around the examiners and markers. And they messed around the Chinese government. Two bad moves.
nigel2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Deja Vu Reply with quote

Past summers…

June 2004 “Tax showdown for British Council in Russia”

June 2006 “In her report, the secretary of state also confirmed that the council had now registered all its centres in Russia with the local tax authorities and had complied with tax demands from the Russian authorities totalling £1.4m. The council's activities were now being carried out in a "tax-compliant environment", the Foreign Office report said. "Provided no further difficulties are encountered, we expect the council to be fully compliant with its legal and tax obligations in Russia within the next six months."

June 2008 “Russia sends 'punitive' tax bill to British Council”

Quotes from The Guardian, emphasis mine.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kerfuffle in Russia over the BC's tax affairs had more to do with the ongoing diplomatic spat between the two countries' governments than anything else. The BC had been operating as a registered charity, and therefore legally exempted from taxes, until the local authorities decided it was not a charity after all and demanded tax. All being very murky, it is still hard to know exactly what the situation was. In any case, the educational division of the BC pulled out of Russia totally...
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: all examiners who have not signed the tax form thingy are out of work.

BUT they can still marks scripts at BC's offices.

Must be a bummer to have your salary drop by RMB3000-12000/month.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
all examiners who have not signed the tax form thingy are out of work.

So is that due the location of the offices being on foreign diplomatic soil
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBillyNO wrote:
Quote:
all examiners who have not signed the tax form thingy are out of work.

So is that due the location of the offices being on foreign diplomatic soil

No. The BC offices aren't considered diplomatic soil. I just don't think BC or the government want foreigners blatantly working (examining) on all the various non-Z visas.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if they are out of work, how can they still mark exams?
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBillyNO wrote:
So if they are out of work, how can they still mark exams?

The bulk of an examiner's money made is by speaking examining. Marking scripts is not a great money earner. I mentioned what some examiners are NOT earning at the moment.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just to clarify.....that those without the proper signed paperwork or the proper RP allowing them to work .....are still grading test....but they are not being paid the same amount as those who do the exams....but just a thought .... so is grading papers a job which pays based on the amount of exams graded....

Quote:
I mentioned what some examiners are NOT earning at the moment.

You also mention that examiners can still work marking papers...I reckon what I was getting at is that the BC is still employing those without proper visas...but as you say, they are not examiners
Big Worm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an examiner, but have a few friends that are long time graders.

The general consensus is that this is somehow a ploy for the BC to restructure their system and hire full time markers at lower wages.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Worm - I haven't heard one single person put forward that idea.

Here's the thing. They need a large number of examiners 2 days a week, and much fewer to none the other 5 days. If they have to take on full time examiners, that will be bad for them, and they'd still need extra examiners at the weekends.

Not disputing that there could be something in it, but at first reading it seems unlikely.

noBillyNo. - There are two types of examining, the speaking test and the written test. Examiners start off doing the speaking test. Once you've been an examiner for a while (3 months I think) then you can apply for the training to be a writing examiner.

Both tests are per exam, but the speaking is on a schedule (3 an hour); the writing is whatever speed you can go at. The writing doesn't take as long, and is thus paid at a far lower rate. As there's the same number of speaking and writing tests, that means that there's far less money as a whole in writing examining. All the same, if someone was getting a day and a half of writing work, that might be roughly the same as what someone would get from a weekend of speaking examining, but then again might be totally different, depending on speed, and how much you have to pay for transport and hotels. Anyway, there's not a lot of writing examining to spread around.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody here has said that BC does its business the same way everywhere in the world; however, i've just spoken to a few fellas who claim that that's "bollocks" or something like that. Over a few beers and apparently against their BC agreements, those seemingly experienced Brits were willing to disclose so much about test scores, quality of examiners, hiring process, wages in this country and around the world and much more.

Quote:
I reckon what I was getting at is that the BC is still employing those without proper visas
The "proper visa", in this case, may be quite a tricky topic. I guess someone's got BC by the balls (but the examiners think not).

Anyhow, whether this British outfit computerizes itself or not remains to be seen.
shawadywady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Note: all examiners who have not signed the tax form thingy are out of work.

This is wrong - people who haven't signed the tax agreement are not allowed to do any examining work. Examiners on a Z who have signed the tax agreement can do everything. Examiners limited to writing-only are those on L/F visas who have signed the tax agreement (although why you'd sign an agreement admitting you're working illegally is beyond me and why the BC would continue to allow this situation is equally baffling).

Breakdown of writing vs speaking income can vary significantly & depends on individual circumstances but if you live in a BC base city it can easily be 50/50 so it's certainly a big cut in salary if you are removed from interviewing.

Big Worm - i would hesitate to credit the BC with the ability to engineer such a situation but i think the end result of all this could well be as you say - a more standardised sort of employment, almost undoubtedly with lower pay. Vik - midweek interviewing will become more common to fill the huge gap left by examiners on inappropriate visas.

wonderingjoe - beware of tired & emotional Brits in pubs who have recently lost a significant chunk of income! (but if you'd like to share stories about 'quality of examiners' you'd have a willing audience right here)
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very curious to get a breakdown of what examiners are paid (and taxed) worldwide, considering I'm thinking of making The Great Leap Forward sometime this year..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: