Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can you find the place that is right for you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: How can you find the place that is right for you? Reply with quote

The obvious answer, of course, is to keep traveling until you find that close-enough-to-perfect country where you know it's right for you. When I started my journey into ESL earlier this year by coming to China, I was full of hope and excitement. Now I'm 5 months into a 1 year contract and I'm ready to get the hell out of dodge! I don't mesh with the culture, the winter is dreadful, and socially it isn't what I was hoping for. I'm trying to ration my vacation days. So far I've been to the Philippines for a week (really loved it and really hope I can move there one day!) But I don't have enough time to really visit enough countries to see what places I feel I belong in. And that's the most frustrating thing. Financing your travels by doing ESL is a great idea, but your travel time is minimal.

China offers decent pay and easy to get jobs. I took a gamble coming here in the first place and now I'm getting disappointed. China is such a big place that I'm sure there are great cities and provinces here even for me...but it would be a matter of trying (each attempt costing a year commitment) slowly until figuring it out. Other countries in Asia seem much more appealing to me but don't offer enough money and opportunities. I would really love to try ESL in Cambodia or Philippines next, but opportunities there are much slimmer than China.

The thing I really wish was easy to find was 6 month contracts. You know what would be really great? 3 month contracts on the same continent. Getting to try out 4 countries a year and getting to experience them for 3 months would be worth it and far more helpful than just one week visits here and there...Haven't found any info online for anything like that. The one I do know about that allowed as low as 3 months was FSU Georgia. But that was severely limited starting last year. One year contracts are too often too big of a gamble. It's unlikely they'll turn out too awful (if you use common sense) but 6 month contracts and other options should be far more plentiful than they are...
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure this is a problem with being the right or wrong fit, or if it's a natural part of culture shock. I remember my excitement and subsequent disappointment too - but for various reasons, leaving was not an option. I've been here for almost three years now, and I've really grown to love where I am. At six months in, I was still dealing with the disappointment of romanticism.
Lack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
Well, I'm not sure this is a problem with being the right or wrong fit, or if it's a natural part of culture shock. I remember my excitement and subsequent disappointment too - but for various reasons, leaving was not an option. I've been here for almost three years now, and I've really grown to love where I am. At six months in, I was still dealing with the disappointment of romanticism.

It's not culture shock. It's just that I don't belong here and I realize it. Different cultures are a fit to different people. Non-Chinese cannot ever actually become one of them anyway. Not that I want to. It's a matter of not liking the climate, not having an outlet socially, and not having an interest in the culture/language. Now, I'm guessing someone is going to come on here and tell it's just this part of China and that they've have a great time in China. I don't doubt there is some place in China that I would like and fit relatively well in. But that could be a very lengthy investment of time to figure it out. And I can't be traveling all the time to figure it out either.

I'm used to everybody spewing spit all the time. I like a lot of the food. I've learned a lot about this little city. It has its upsides, but the bottom line is that I belong somewhere else.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, TESL/TEFL is a business after all. From an employer's perspective, six month contracts likely attract non-committal employees. I wouldn't offer that if I was a hiring manager either!

If you aren't happy in China then that's fine, you certainly wouldn't be the first one. It is worth it however, to consider this business to be just that - a business, the romanticism of jumping around from country to country and "trying out" local cultures for three months seems rooted in fantasy. Solid employers aren't there to entertain that.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not culture shock. It's just that I don't belong here and I realize it. Different cultures are a fit to different people. Non-Chinese cannot ever actually become one of them anyway. Not that I want to.

Not trying to talk you out of your funk, but two comments.

First, as santi has pointed out, 3-6 months to 'try out' a place = just the time period it takes most people to start experiencing culture shock in a negative sense. This is very often the worst time period for a newbie to a region. You've just had time barely to get set up and get just a bit used to place and work....it really takes at least a year to actually get to know a place. Not to mention that reputable employers aren't usually interested in short-term contracts for numerous good reasons.

Secondly, I think you're already aware of this, but it's not about 'becoming one of them.' I'm a great example - I absolutely love my adopted country, to the point of becoming an official citizen and putting down serious roots - I won't ever actually live in my home country again, likely. But I won't ever BE 'one of them;' I don't have the fluency of language, or the cultural roots.

So far as finding a place that fits you - give places at least a year. You'll probably have learned a lot about what works for you and what doesn't in a new location from this experience - you'll probably choose better the next time, and if you need to continue moving on, your choices will continue to improve based on what you learn in each location.
DrTongue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both santi and spiral made good points. Just looking at this from a practical standpoint, you've got something like seven months left on your contract. Why not use the time to start doing research on potential new locations (if you haven't already)? Reading others' accounts of their experiences isn't perfect, but trying out countries for 3 to 6 months simply isn't practical. Visiting on holiday is nice, but that's a different experience from actually living somewhere. Besides, you can get reliable information about certain things without the expense of a visit (climate for instance) to help you decide if a location is right for you. The first thing is to figure out what you need (materially, psychologically, etc.) and find the place that best matches that. Perhaps there are people you know personally who have been to some of these places and can give you a reliable account of life there, maybe even some professional contacts if you're fortunate.

Good luck. It's not a nice frame of mind to be in, but it isn't forever, though it might seem like it right now.
Lack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am already researching other countries around the world. So far I have a few ideas. And I already know I love the Philippines.

I disagree that only legitimate companies or programs would offer short contracts. FSU Georgia has a program that offers short ESL teaching contracts. It's legitimate.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FSU Georgia? As in Florida State? Or the country of Georgia? If it's Florida State, then I would say that isn't really a factor in a discussion of ESL vs EFL - ESL doesn't require an employee to relocate and obtain appropriate visas.

Most employers will not waste their time trying to advertise, hire, and jump through the government process of bringing in teachers abroad for short-term contracts. Occasional summer camps can be an exception, but otherwise you can't really expect businesses to do that. Their goal is to provide a business/service to paying customers, not finance a dream of sampling the world.

If you like the Philippines, then go for it. I've never been there, although I am sure it's wonderful, I know the food sure is. When you hit the 3-6 month mark though, you might inevitably feel this way no matter where you go. Is this the first time you've lived outside your country for that long?
emmett grogan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what your motivation is.
If money then Asia and the Middle East, if lifestyle then probably Europe. You have to give everywhere a chance but once you start to really feel that vibe to leave a place then just leave. Thats what I do anyway.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europe, if the op has a passport from an EU member country or is happy with Central/Eastern Europe.

By the way, I didn't say that reputable short-term contracts don't exist - just that they're far less common than 1-year ones.
emmett grogan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, its probably more of a challenge to find a job that is perfect for you rather than a place. Having said that, I'd have to be banking a huge wedge to live in China, Cambodia or Manchester.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack wrote:
When I started my journey into ESL earlier this year by coming to China, I was full of hope and excitement. Now I'm 5 months into a 1 year contract and I'm ready to get the hell out of dodge! I don't mesh with the culture, the winter is dreadful, and socially it isn't what I was hoping for.

I had the same experience in Vietnam (although it was my third country/employer and not my first). Ironically, my job/employer was the best I've had thus far (excluding a UK employer) - RMIT. But the country (well, city) itself destroyed my soul.

Some people settle well in certain places and others can't stand them. It's an obvious but vital consideration.
Lack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
FSU Georgia? As in Florida State? Or the country of Georgia? If it's Florida State, then I would say that isn't really a factor in a discussion of ESL vs EFL - ESL doesn't require an employee to relocate and obtain appropriate visas.

Most employers will not waste their time trying to advertise, hire, and jump through the government process of bringing in teachers abroad for short-term contracts. Occasional summer camps can be an exception, but otherwise you can't really expect businesses to do that. Their goal is to provide a business/service to paying customers, not finance a dream of sampling the world.

If you like the Philippines, then go for it. I've never been there, although I am sure it's wonderful, I know the food sure is. When you hit the 3-6 month mark though, you might inevitably feel this way no matter where you go. Is this the first time you've lived outside your country for that long?

Haha, I meant former Soviet Georgia. Yes, this is the first time I've lived outside the U.S. I don't think that is the problem though. I like that part (mostly.) It's the place that's getting me down...

Camps are a nightmare. (I'm assuming English camps abroad are just as crappy to work at as any other camp is.) I've got some ideas of how I could live in the Philippines, but getting a job there 9especially one that pays!) is difficult.

Well, I think some people here may just fit into cultures generally well. They may not see it like I do. Ideally, I'm looking for a future long-term home, so it's about a lot more than getting through the year. Loving the culture is key for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: