Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongolia and EFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Mongolia and EFL Reply with quote

Hello

like to hear from anyone on here who has had experience teaching in Mongolia or just visiting or traveling in Mongolia. Its part of my future plans to go to there and maybe teach in addition to my visit. Have taught efl in China, Taiwan and Thailand and wondered how different it might be?

any information welcome.
surendra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend who taught at a Uni there. I can't remember it's name but I've seen it advertised here. He really liked it I think. Seemed like those students were well-behaved for ESL students and the pay seemed legit. He even got business cards :p and he was in Ulaanbaatar.

He is a big post-soviet union country buff who likes Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, etc. So just remember it probably won't be like the countries you listed. If anything, closer to Korean culture.

P.S. My friend left due to REAL family issues/circumstances and not due to the school.
tbear2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really like Korean culture. Students are less in awe of authority than in those countries you listed. Also, while the students may want to learn (depending on the school), it seems that very few of the schools actually care whether the student learns anything; they exist purely to make as much money as possible, education be d***d.

It's not just the small, struggling local schools... take one of the "international" schools in Ulaanbaatar -- the foreign directors change every couple of years and each time there's a new director the same set of misguided policies are re-instituted and then later removed when disaster inevitably follows. From what I've observed at several private schools over a decade or so, both teacher welfare and learning needs are disregarded completely or at best take a backseat to profit-making.

Generally, whatever helps minimize cost and bring in money -- no matter how short-term the benefit -- is allowed. Hence: anything from overflowing classrooms, dodgy (but cheap!) curricula, unqualified teachers, salaries paid late, students put in unsuitable levels, to outright lies in advertising.

If you can stomach this, AND glacial temperatures and thick smog don't faze you, then yes, it's a sign you should definitely teach in UB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: