Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Bali

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Living in Bali Reply with quote

HI All,
What is it really like to live in Bali ?
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the tourist hyperbole. The number of cars has doubled in Bali within the last 3 years and traffic jams are the new norm. The influx of tourists has also made it one of the most expensive places in Indonesia to live. If you have cash to burn, I can understand the appeal of living there, but if you will rely on your 8 million per month wage- I don't envy you. At all.
mrjack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for that,
The minimum wage offered would be $33,000 per year. Plus flights and medical insurance.
p1randal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A school is offering 31 million a month. If you make that much, living on Bali will be a blast. I am curious of the school though...
jaybet3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$33,000? Make sure you get that in writing. I've never heard of a wage that high unless it was at some prestigious University and you had a PhD, etc.

If you do take the job, find a place to live close to work to avoid the traffic. Spending hours of your life going no where fast would take a bit of fun out of that huge salary.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a senior teaching position-requiring legit PGCE qualification + M.A. 27 mil Rp sounds about right....people don't hear about these jobs because the vacancies are rarely advertised-that kind of salary entitles an expat teacher to a good lifestyle in one of the most desirable locations in the world...
Voyager2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salary aside, it's what you make of it mrjack. I live a good, simple and quiet life amongst the locals on the island, as I prefer not to have a motorbike and walk to work. Apart from a visa run offshore, I've not been to Kuta or much south of the provincial capital in 8 months. The only Westerners I see are at work, and I'm happy with that.

Internet is often included where you stay, and if you stay away from tourist infrastructure then life is easy and inexpensive. Yes traffic can be bad and has probably increased, as per previous posts, but catch a professional bluebird taxi, 60 cents a km, always meted, always professional. I've found this is how I travel if I need to get beyond comfortable walking range.

ATMs are ubiquitous, as are smiles from locals. The mornings are lovely and living can still be inexpensive. PM me if you need more specific info.
Rgds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: