Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my job prospects?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hannibal329

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: What are my job prospects? Reply with quote

My wife (korean) has recently been offered a position with Cathay Pacific which means, we are considering moving to Hong Kong in the near future. I'm currently employed at a University here in Korea, about to complete my 2nd year. I'll have an MA in Interdisciplinary Studies by this time next year, but do not currently possess any TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, teaching certificate etc…

I taught in the States for 2 years as a full-time classroom instructor(emergency certification), as well as 4 years here in Korea (1 hagwon, 1 public elementary, 2 University).

I'm curious what my job prospects would be if I entered the Hong Kong market this winter compared to next year after obtaining my Masters? Would I be better off putting my MA on hold and completing a teaching certification program online or getting a Celta over the course of the next year? Cheers folks!
sistercream

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of job do you intend looking for?

Assuming you will be the "trailing spouse" on a dependent visa to your wife's employment visa, then you should have no problem finding employment in either a language centre or a private kindergarten, as they won't have to worry about getting you an employment visa of your own. Another option would be to do privates, which would give you a lot more flexibility in working hours (and, if you're good at it, you can pick and choose which students you teach after the first half year or so and still have more than enough work).

For teaching elementary school and higher levels, it will probably be more practical to get an ELTA/ EA job to get your local experience up while doing either Trinity TESOL (CELTA isn't available in HK, and online programs don't cut any ice here) or a PGDE.
hannibal329

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for anything that wouldn't require me to teach primary aged students again. I should have clarified, the online teaching certification program is primarily practicum based. It's not a distance based-read a book, write a paper,etc.. type of program I came across that would provide me proper teaching certification throughout the States. It sounds like I'm in a difficult spot as my previous years of experience won't help me obtain decent work.

You wouldn't recommend a CELTA? (They have a program here in Korea I've been looking at). Will completing my MA benefit me at all in Hong Kong?
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

What age group of students are you hoping to teach?

If you arrive in winter you should have no problems getting a job in a language center. However, it is unlikely you will be able to avoid teaching primary aged students. Most language centers prefer candidates who can teach all ages and levels.

What salary, working hours are you expecting? Most language centers will require you to work five and a half days a week.

I would recommend you do a CELTA course. It only takes a month and I think it would be well worth the time and investment.

Sure, you could get a job here without the CELTA, but I think you could get a much better package with the CELTA under your belt.

hannibal329 wrote:
I'm looking for anything that wouldn't require me to teach primary aged students again. I should have clarified, the online teaching certification program is primarily practicum based. It's not a distance based-read a book, write a paper,etc.. type of program I came across that would provide me proper teaching certification throughout the States. It sounds like I'm in a difficult spot as my previous years of experience won't help me obtain decent work.

You wouldn't recommend a CELTA? (They have a program here in Korea I've been looking at). Will completing my MA benefit me at all in Hong Kong?
Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Travel Bug - get the CELTA first. This opens better private language school doors, plus gives you a better possibility of getting a job with the NET scheme or other 'proper job' after a year or two of local experience. Difficult to avoid kids this way though.

Or, as SisterC suggests, if you're on a dependents visa you could pick and choose private students - one way of avoiding kids. And do a TESOL masters or PGDE p/t to boost your future options.

There are adults-only jobs, such as with the university continuing education programmes (eg. SPACE at HKU), but you'll have zero chance of getting this kind of work until you're on the ground in HK.
sistercream

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the misunderstanding - by all means do CELTA before you arrive in HK if you have the chance! As Perilla says, it will certainly improve your chances of landing a job with a more reputable school, as would completing a Master's in a related discipline, such as MEd or maybe MA TESOL.
Yes also to privates and being on the ground here to network your way into the relatively small adult education sector as the best ways of avoiding kids.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you have the better. think about a PGCE - that will open International school doors too....
hannibal329

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Dependent Visa Reply with quote

So, I will be able to receive a full dependent visa through my wife, which is good news to us as we didn't think this would be possible at first. I'll have my MA completed in Interdisciplinary Studies next month and will be starting a Teacher Certificate program in February that will give me a teaching license in the State of Florida by Winter of 2015.

Are there any hangups within Hong Kong for teachers possessing a certificate from the States as opposed to a PGDE?

Are there any website for part-time private instruction? I know here in Korea I don't instruct anyone for less than $40 an hour.

What is the going rate in Hong Kong for similar work?

Are there any websites for reviewing open International School positions within Hong Kong?
Didah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I worked as an SNET for a year on a teaching license from the United States. The NET program views the PDGE and a credential from the U.S. or Canada as the same as the QTS in the UK. When you get your teaching credential, you could also look for work in international schools in Hong Kong as well as the NET scheme. They pay better than private language centers. You may also consider weekend work across the border in Shenzhen. Private language schools are always looking for native English teachers. It is possible that one of them could sponsor a work visa for you if you went that route. I do weekend work in addition to my job. It makes a difference.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: