Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marcus Evans Linguarama
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivankinsman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Marcus Evans Linguarama Reply with quote

I am interested to know if teachers have any experience (good and bad) in MEL schools in Germany? I notice they have been advertising teaching positions in some of the big cities in Germany. Any feedback welcome.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want people (a) with a lot of Business English experience and (b) who are preferably already in Germany. If one does not satisfy either or both of these, I would advise against interviewing with them. I satisfy (a) but not (b). I passed my interview with the UK recruitment manager* and then had a phone interview with a DOS. I thought the interview went superbly well, but the job(s) went to people who were not merely already in-country but also living in the city in which I was applying to work in.

As a general rule, one should avoid applying for jobs in Europe when based in the UK. It's overwhelmingly likely that there will be a pool of candidates right on their doorstep.

However, to be fair, I was given a good impression of Linguarama. They do tailor-made business/ESP courses, which is nice work if you can get it.

Good luck!

*this interview took place in a hotel lobby, and was rather uncomfortable because total strangers were listening.
Ivankinsman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like they are fairly professional to some language school outfits I have come across.
osen77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

does anyone have feedback about working at this school?
Ivankinsman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: I would not work for any organisation of Marcus Evans Reply with quote

Marcus Evans started out selling corporate hospitality at Wimbledon, basically out of marquees in local residents' gardents. He then went on to set up The Hospitality Group, an organisation selling tickets at big sporting events for corporate hospitality. It is a direct sales operation that has a large turnover of employees as many do not survive in such a tough selling environment.

Anything connected to Marcus Evans is assocated with making as much revenue for as little cost as possible. I remember when Linguarama was taken over by the Marcus Evans Group and immediately thought that it was done as it can be operated along the same lines as The Hospitality Group - direct selling to corporations to book educational training courses.

Perhaps the corporate culture of his companies has changed since I worked there but I very much doubt it, so I suggest you tread carefully about taking up a position without thoroughly ascertaining first what the job conditions/contract will be.
osen77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback!
I was offered a freelance position which can be up to 30 hours a week. There was no talk of contract yet, just of coming in for an induction and setting up a schedule.
"Tough selling environment". Could you tell me more about that? You can also pm me. Thanks!
johncoan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished working for them in Berlin.
osen77

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And? How was it?
johncoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was OK. Business English teaching to German business people - what do you think? Smile

The hassles involved in working as a freelance teacher in Germany are too numerous to mention here. But I'd think carefully before getting into something like this.
osen77

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly fun, huh? Smile Yes, I'm already working as a freelancer in Germany. I think the main hassle is health insurance. My other option is Russia!
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: - Reply with quote

They contacted me in Italy just but I'm not there now. For part time work. They also have full time work going in Milan according to tefl.com so i wrote yesterday to ask if they have any positions available. It's all freelance in Germany is it? Do they offer contracts too? The italian full time jobs range from 1500 to 1835 euro a month, I said I'd work for not less than 1835. Tax is high in Germany so you need a good salary if it's contracted. About the freelance health insurance, do you need to pay it? You could save 200 or 300 euro a month by not bothering and if you get ill, just go and see a private doc instead.
johncoan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: - Reply with quote

mrpianoman wrote:
They contacted me in Italy just but I'm not there now. For part time work. They also have full time work going in Milan according to tefl.com so i wrote yesterday to ask if they have any positions available. It's all freelance in Germany is it? Do they offer contracts too? The italian full time jobs range from 1500 to 1835 euro a month, I said I'd work for not less than 1835. Tax is high in Germany so you need a good salary if it's contracted. About the freelance health insurance, do you need to pay it? You could save 200 or 300 euro a month by not bothering and if you get ill, just go and see a private doc instead.

You're legally obliged to get health insurance when in Germany - sorry to have to tell you. It can be expensive, too.

Tax isn't necessarily high. I didn't pay any tax at all for 2015 because I only worked the last three months of the year - I was under the threshold.

I think it you stick around long enough you might get a contract with Marcus Evans Linguarama. But who in their right mind would want such a thing?
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know you're legally obliged to get health insurance, but who's going to check up if you don't Razz Why do you say who would want a job with marcus evans? are they a bad employer then? Do they do contracts in Germany then? or just freelance?
Hod

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpianoman wrote:
Yes I know you're legally obliged to get health insurance, but who's going to check up if you don't?

The doctor?

OK, no one will check unless you needed to apply for a visa, for example, but the obvious common sense lectures about health insurance apply.

Companies such as this http://www.alchealth.com/ offer Germany-approved health cover for about €100 a month.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just plugged my details into that health insurer and the cheapest was £248 per month! That's a fair chunk of your net earning in Germany I assume. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: