Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
Some people posit that a great deal of Mexican culture (such as codes of behavior) is more Oriental than Western, and I think this idea has some truth – you observed this yourself in the similarity to Korea.

For people interested in this idea I highly recommend the book:

The Other Game: Lessons from How Life Is Played in Mexican Villages

The flaw is that the book is overly positive and optimistic, maybe because the authors are missionaries and only really based on the experience of one very small region. But well written, very easy to read, and extremely interesting.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Mexican posted this on Facebook today. It's relevant to this discussion. Read the expanded photo caption.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=575715112500837&set=a.543549222384093.1073741864.126713977400955&type=1&theater
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Questions Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
1) Given all its numerous advantages, Mexico is a significantly underachieving nation. Why do you think this is so?
Because of questions 2 and 3---which must be what you think, or why else would those be questions two and three?

2) Do you feel that Mexicans are complacent about corruption?
Yes. But I think Americans are too. Corruption in the US is masked as capitalism. There is wide spread corporate and political corruption in the US. Almost every American is complacent about that.
In Mexico corruption is more widespread into every aspect of life. While it is easy for Americans to be complacent about political corruption because they are not actively involved in it--only passively. In Mexico, Chingas or te chingan. in almost every aspect of life. And unfortunately it has created a class that accepts that they are going to be fucked over. And the culture--part of that culture being Mexico's brand of Catholicism--has made those people almost think they deserve to be fucked over and that it's their lot in life to endure it.

3) I notice at my institution that people are VERY reluctant to speak up about issues. Rocking the boat is considered not only inadvisable, but suicidal. Is this actually a long-standing "cultural" trait, or is it recent learned behavior premised on the quite accurate idea that if you speak out on the wrong issues in Mexico today, you could get yourself and your family killed?
Both.

Yes, you're right, Questions 2 and 3 do represent my current take, but it is tentative, which is why I asked for input. Yours is appreciated and backs up my thoughts.

I quite agree with you about corruption in the U.S. - no arguments there. It seems to be getting worse by the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: