Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Advice needed Reply with quote

Hey guys, I could use some quick advice.

I'm currently doing my MA in English Language Teaching at the HK Polytechnic University in Hong Kong. I originally was planning to try to find work here after since they give you a 1 year work visa to stay and I could potentially make more money, but due a variety of factors (High pressure, hard time making good friends, high expenses) I think I will leave after I graduate, which will be in July next year.

I'm from Canada and I do have 3 years of public school teaching experience in Korea, so my backup plan was to always go back and apply for a university position there. I tried applying for positions before and did a get a few places interested in me, but the lack of an MA prevented anything from happening. Also my friends are there which I realized is a big plus for me.

I was wondering if anyone knew how a MA from Hong Kong would be viewed in Korea when applying for university jobs? My BA is from Canada if that makes a difference.

Even though I'm doing well academically and learning a lot, I was actually considering dropping out due to my loneliness and stress and applying to an MA TESOL program at the University of Nottingham next year. They have a campus in China, which is where I was originally planning to study, so the degree would be exactly the same as if I studied in the UK. But considering I'm almost halfway done my program and all the money and time I've invested, I think it would be dumb for me to drop it since I only have less than 8 months left. Any advice or feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks!
oxi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry you feel down in HK. The way I deal with it is to try and get away at the hols - we've got Xmas, Chinese New Year and Easter all coming thick and fast. If you can make the most of them, then you might find it doesn't look so bad getting to the summer. At least get to the islands like Lamma at the weekend or something.

Have you also been on the Korea forum to ask about your MA? - need to register separately. Might get clearer answers there
Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed Reply with quote

Charmer wrote:
But considering I'm almost halfway done my program and all the money and time I've invested, I think it would be dumb for me to drop it since I only have less than 8 months left.

I agree. It would be crazy to drop out now. I worked in Korea (EPIK programme) for two years and can well understand your preference to go back there for one of their cushy uni gigs (though I hear they aren't quite as cushy as they used to be). I loved my time in Korea and one of my regrets is that I didn't try a uni after EPIK, before coming here. But heh ho, c'est la vie and all that.

Anyways, I really don't think you'll have any problems using your HK masters at most Korean universities. Finish your course here and head back to kimchi country!
Charmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

I contacted a bunch of Korean universities and a majority of them said a MA from Hong Kong would be fine and would qualify me for their teaching positions so that's good news. The main thing they cared about was if the school was accredited and if I had teaching experience. I think I'm just going to tough it out till the summer, finish the program and then start applying for positions in full-force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: