Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Re-Delph Reply with quote

My pals in Poznan, a couple of whom you have met, have done extremely well to stick it in my opinion. They have done so by getting involved in non-TEFL related income streams like health tourism, journalism and video production. One IH DOS turned it in to become an excellent local DJ. Talk of EFL just brings frowns to the old lags' faces. The really well-qualified CELTA, DELTA, MA+ mob mostly moved onwards and upwards to enhance their 'careers'. Don't re-invent the wheel. Teaching privates is the road well travelled. It's uncertain, exhausting long-term and often produces teachers who lack experience and are in need of serious development but who talk like they know it all. My old British Council boss used to tell us not to be complacent as it would take 5 years just to know what we were really doing an I think he was right. 18 years in and I still wonder, especially teaching in the Middle East and North Africa.

I eat and drink all over Poznan from Stajenka an old fave, to the old 'Zez' and and Stary Rats down to the hotdog stands. Yep, I recently moved from Rataja to Swarzedz on the edge of Poznan and I'm bloody glad I did. It's lovely and quiet and we have lots of our Polish friends as neighbours. We also have family in Bogucin, a stone's throw away. IT'S COMMON SENSE. So too is using Wizz Air to get directly from Poznan to Luton. How else would you do it? What infantile jibes. If I want to live a champagne lifestyle, I can. If I want to munch on a parowka and sip Warka I can. It's got sweet FA to do with the price of fish.

Ask my fiancée where home is. I think you'll find she answers 'Poznan'. First arrived 95. Know the current prices and costs. Know what my friends get paid and what they charge. Unlike you, I have a very long-term perspective. Now go put your dummy back in.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Delph Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
My pals in Poznan, a couple of whom you have met, have done extremely well to stick it in my opinion. They have done so by getting involved in non-TEFL related income streams like health tourism, journalism and video production. One IH DOS turned it in to become an excellent local DJ. Talk of EFL just brings frowns to the old lags' faces. The really well-qualified CELTA, DELTA, MA+ mob mostly moved onwards and upwards to enhance their 'careers'.

I don't think there's much of a future in Poland if you sit around with a BA and CELTA, in all fairness. It's not only formal qualifications, but also experience - I'm actually sitting tonight preparing an application for EU funding for an international project. How many 'natives' in Poznan have ever even completed an application for such a thing?

Moving forwards is something everyone should do. I think even you'll agree that if you stay doing the same thing year after year, you're not going to go anywhere, and Poland is no different.

Quote:
Don't re-invent the wheel. Teaching privates is the road well travelled. It's uncertain, exhausting long-term and often produces teachers who lack experience and are in need of serious development but who talk like they know it all. My old British Council boss used to tell us not to be complacent as it would take 5 years just to know what we were really doing an I think he was right. 18 years in and I still wonder, especially teaching in the Middle East and North Africa.

I do agree, which is why I think that someone's long term goal in Poland should always be to either enter management or get a job in a serious educational institution. Sitting as a teacher for 10+ years here without ever progressing is always going to lead to disaster. But then again - if you can pull in 10k+ a month and are able to adapt to the market, who really cares about the level of skill?

Having said that, I despise private classes, so my view is somewhat clouded.

Quote:
I eat and drink all over Poznan from Stajenka an old fave, to the old 'Zez' and and Stary Rats down to the hotdog stands. Yep, I recently moved from Rataja to Swarzedz on the edge of Poznan and I'm bloody glad I did. It's lovely and quiet and we have lots of our Polish friends as neighbours. We also have family in Bogucin, a stone's throw away. IT'S COMMON SENSE. So too is using Wizz Air to get directly from Poznan to Luton. How else would you do it? What infantile jibes. If I want to live a champagne lifestyle, I can. If I want to munch on a parowka and sip Warka I can. It's got sweet FA to do with the price of fish.

So you fly cheap airlines, eat cheap food, live in a cheap commuter town and so on. No comment.

Swarzedz is a hole to live in. It's not on the edge of Poznan, it's outside Poznan. Schools are poor there, and there's little in the way of entertainment unless you count laughing at the shopping centre that is ETC. I know the place well, having once worked there for a year, and I wouldn't want to live there. It's not a place for the high life, that's for sure!

Quote:
Ask my fiancée where home is. I think you'll find she answers 'Poznan'. First arrived 95. Know the current prices and costs. Know what my friends get paid and what they charge. Unlike you, I have a very long-term perspective. Now go put your dummy back in.

Your perspective seems to be clouded by the cheap lifestyle you lead.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Harrumph.

You're a troll.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

And just so all can see how pointless your trolling is.

1-http://www.entfernungsrechner.net/en/distance/city/3084130/city/3088171

2-
That EU funding thing? Lots of schools do it and many a DOS has done it. Not new sonny.

I'll not toast to your health next time I'm in Heising.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong? Don't like the fact that people living and working in Poland full time are flying full service airlines, eating in more expensive restaurants and living in cities rather than in incredibly dull commuter towns? I'd be pretty upset too if I had to live 2/3rds of my life in a dangerous environment to live a worse life than those actually living in Poland.

For someone who talks so much about money and so on, you certainly don't seem to be walking the walk when it comes to this sort of thing. Did you spend everything buying everyone drinks again?

As for the EU funding thing? My point is that most 'native speakers' barely know their arse from their elbow when it comes to this sort of thing. Schools certainly have got money, but it's all done by Polish administrative staff. And this is what differentiates those working for Profi Lingua to those who have real jobs. I'm paid to sort out such projects, but at the end of the day, it means being dedicated and not spending my life in the pub.

With your constant references to "mates', what you fail to mention is that these people are all from the pub. They're not a fair reflection on Poland at all.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Buying a round in a pub on the rare occasions that I go out is not going to clean me out. I save and spend more than you earn a year pal even with Sterling at its historically low rate.

Those mates are actually friends who I've known for years. They tell me you're not too popular.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, for all your boasts about money, one would expect you to at least be able to afford to fly proper airlines with tasteful colour schemes and to be able to hire something more than a shoebox to drive. Oh, and to eat in restaurants that have slightly higher standards than Fenix. And given that you live in a cheap commuter town rather than Poznan, just what gives you the right to boast?

Seems to me that the real skinflint cheapskate here is you, not us. No wonder you hate Poland so much if you have to live a cheap lifestyle here. Certainly ecocks (to name one poster) seems to live a far better lifestyle than you.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: sure Reply with quote

Grow up.
Janek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Janek Reply with quote

Sorry Janek, my post wasn't aimed at you at all. The question you pose is a good one. Honestly speaking, these days the Polish English teachers can be so good that I don't think there's any reason for there to be a native Vs non-native differential. Basically, people charge what they can get away with, with any given client. The beauty of matura prep is that there's a huge demand for it and its results can change a student's life, so people will pay 'top-Dollar'.

And yes you are right. There are some atrocious jobs and recruiters in the Middle East too. However, a few years in the Middle East with the right job can make the rest of your life in Poland much easier. There are plenty of Polish English teachers doing it too, which may or indeed may not surprise you. I'm not a native speaker purist by any means.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janek wrote:
Doesn't it sound strange?

Comparing ME oil companies to Polish language schools as an employer. I don't know much about the ME but I am pretty sure that they have low-paying language schools as well.

There are no oil companies in Poland but there are other companies paying well. A friend of mine taught in the Sejm making 200 PLN per hour. He still benefits from this time having made most useful contacts.

If a Polish teacher of English takes 150 PLN per hour (matura prep) how much can be taken by a serious native speaker from a company?

Lots of people won't understand this Janek. Many people in all walks of life have failed and want someone to blame. Back home, we say, "Some people are tossed a crowbar and drop it on their foot, complaining loudly about the person throwing them the crowbar. Other people will use it to pry open opportunities."

Not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur or independent contractor (a real one) and can never envision opening their own business and being their own boss. Likewise, some people are determined to be their own boss and shrug off the hours and risk of failure. Money isn't the end all for everyone. Some will make it (by their own standards), some won't.

I had a partnership offer this last week from another country. The money looked okay but it wasn't where I wanted to live.

People figure things out when they really want to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much. Everyone I know that has succeeded in Poland got there through hard work and self discipline. On the other hand, the ones who have failed all have something in common - a lack of discipline and problems with their work ethic. It's not rocket science.

I know one chap here who started off teaching German for 25zl an hour. He hated it, so what he did was ask every single student to give him three phone numbers. He specifically asked for the numbers of German speakers, then he called them and asked them straight out if they could help him find something better.

What happened? After a few phone calls, he got through to the director of some company - who told him to come for a chat. The guy owned a Polish company that was thinking about expanding into Germany, so he told him to go hire a car for 2 weeks, gave him a laptop and mobile and told him to go and sell the products. 5 years on, he's now responsible for sales to Germany/Austria/Switzerland and is earning a considerable amount of money in the process. No bullshit, no excuses, just plain old fashioned hard work. The thing is - he doesn't piss his life away down the drain.

Some people will never get this, as they need to spend Friday night in the pub or Sunday afternoon boasting in crap restaurants about their salary.

Meanwhile, I've just returned from a little trip to the Czech Republic. Rather nice it was too, and a great tip for anyone here is to go and explore Cieszyn/Cesky Tesin. Cieszyn in particular has an incredibly quaint 'little Venice' area that is absolutely charming.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to vacation ideas:

I was thinking of running down to Krakow this week. It's been a couple of years since I was there and I could at least refresh my pictures.

The other option might be Vilnius again.

What to do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with Krakow. I was just thinking it's been too long since I took a trip there. Just be sure to check the weather first.

I liked Vilnius ok, but it will probably be a one-off for me. It was nothing special and the Lithuanian 'cuisine' was greasy and made Polish food look delicious in comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: