Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non Native English speakers in Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaraNilsson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Non Native English speakers in Taiwan Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

My name is Sara Nilsson and I am from Sweden originally but have been living in London for the passed 4 years.
I am now taking a 2-day course in TEFL and will also do 120h of online learning.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully gotten a job in Taiwan despite not being a native Ensglish speaker?? Preferably in kindergarten as this is the level I'm looking to start of at.

Also, if there are any good recruitment agencies that you could recommend?

Any help on this topic will be very much appreciated!

Thank you! Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaraNilsson wrote:
I am from Sweden originally but have been living in London for the passed 4 years. I am now taking a 2-day course in TEFL and will also do 120h of online learning.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully gotten a job in Taiwan despite not being a native English speaker?? Preferably in kindergarten as this is the level I'm looking to start of at. Also, if there are any good recruitment agencies that you could recommend?

Take the time to scan through the discussion topics on this forum to get an idea of the TEFL situation Taiwan. That will answer your questions.
Old Surrender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would not be legally employed as a non-native speaker of English and having the wrong kind of passport.

You can get a job teaching kindy. It's illegal, though, but you'll get a job if you poke around.
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: In Taiwan.... Reply with quote

1) I have met a Taiwanese guy teaching as an "ABC" (American Born Chinese) at a fancy school in Taichung (next to the science museum). You are probably an obviously foreign lady. And you're looking to teach KINDY. If you want private students as well, you're frankly probably going to make a killing.

2) Everything is illegal. Technically I think most Kindy schools very existence is illegal here. But for the most part, you don't need to worry about this. The exception is if the BOSS of that school is pissing someone off, then they might call the police on you. I have seen this happen with a foreigner who was actually operating quite above board with everything, but some parents were pissed off at his school for reasons not related to him at all. The cops were called and the management barred them from entering the school at all. Foreigners got deported as a result of no actions on their own part.

But that is only possible because basically everyone is breaking the laws here all the time, but if no one is complaining or getting hurt, you don't need to worry about it. The right (wrong) people complain, and things happen. You should be aware that this kind of thing is possible, but at the same time -- it's relatively rare. This is actually an easy country to live in.

If you haven't lived here, or experienced Asia much, that's hard to explain, but suffice it to say, "The entire approach is GENUINELY not at all like in the West."

3) Your passport, education, etc..... most of this need never be any sort of problem whatsoever. I have a German friend who is coming up on fifty. He was working at a cram school until he decided to quit. But his ENGLISH..... LOL, it was/is pretty disgusting Gerglish. This didn't prevent him from getting a job.

And my buddy with a Master's degree from Oxford, printed on Khaosan Road (famous place for forgeries in Bangkok), is still working at... hahah, well, I wouldn't want to get that guy in trouble, but suffice it to say, it's a somewhat "prestigious" place run by the Brits. He's been there for years and isn't going anywhere.

Finally:

I'll reiterate. I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but for teaching Kindy, you're a nice Foreign-looking woman. You most likely cannot go wrong and they'll love you. In this country, rules/laws seldom bother anyone, and on the rare occasion that it DOES, you could probably choose to accept it and move on to another place pretty easily...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: