Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much can one save?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torentosan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: How much can one save? Reply with quote

So let's assume you have a job that will gross 62,000 TND.
How much of that do you think YOU, the person with experience in Taiwan, can realistically save each month.

Just state an amount and why you think it would be so low or so high.(in your case)

thanks,
ptm234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made around that salary when I lived in Taiwan and was able to save about 24, 000 nt per month. I think I could have saved more looking back. I lived in a nice apartment for 14 000NT. I loved my space. I didn't party much but enjoyed eating out and shopping. I'm sure if I lived with roommates, I could have saved more. I lived in Banciao so things were slightly cheaper.
I hope this helps.
Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: $1000 USD per month Reply with quote

Hello torentosan,

I've always thought that $1000 USD ($30K NTD) saved in the bank each month was an achievable goal.

This was quite easy to do 10 years ago, but I'm sure that things have changed over the years (i.e. increased competition, lower birth rates, inflation, etc.)

Back in the 1990s, Taiwan was not a very comfortable place to live. If you couldn't have banked $1000 USD per month, then it wasn't worth living there.

Taiwan has become MUCH more modern and civilized over the past 10 years or so. I'm mostly speaking about Kaohsiung.... I was back in KHH for 6 weeks this past May-June. I couldn't even recognize parts of the city any more!

I was shocked by the leisurely life-style that everyone seemed to be enjoying. Unfortunately, I also sensed a lower demand for learning English.

I'd love to hear what others have to say on this topic.

Best wishes,

Taylor
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Taiwan, my monthly expenses were around 30K NTD. Anything I earned above that was either saved or spent, depending on my priorities at the moment. For the most part I banked it, unless I was saving for a vacation.

Quote:
I also sensed a lower demand for learning English.

What makes you say that? Not that I doubt it. I'm just curious what you noticed that made you think that.
Captain Planet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been teaching in Taiwan since August. I would say that you shouldn't expect to save much initially. But after you get settled in it should be no problem to save 20,000 NT per month, and if you plan you should be able to save significantly more while still having a decent social life.

Just as a disclaimer, I have not been saving so much money yet. But I think I am through with big expenses until I buy a scooter.
doomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no pension or job/social security in TEFL, so I've always forced myself to save at least NT30K/mo first, & spend the rest, if I wanted to.

On 62K, that's doable, but you'll have to budget moderately & make some sacrifices.

Over years, it's been worth it for me, because I can occasionally take a few months off or only work P/T if I want. Money is also Time. Plus, no fear of losing my job or being unemployed for a while. Nowadays, I don't really budget anymore - I still naturally save, but give myself no pressure to. I'm self-employed now, so income is not as stable.

Many foreigners don't save, however, and leave with pretty much the same balance they arrived with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: