Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does this sound dodgy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
looseleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Does this sound dodgy? Reply with quote

In the process of applying for a teaching contract for a year in HK. All seems fine so far apart from the bit where they told me about the visa.

Apparently, I'd need to arrive in HK on a tourist visa and after a week take a trip to Macau. On coming back from Macau I would be issued with a work visa and HKID.

My understanding was that this should all be sorted out before I arrive in the country. Does it sound a bit dodgy? Should I trust this company?

Any advice? Thanks.
JoeKing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Does this sound dodgy? Reply with quote

Deleted because my comments don't really apply to HK.

Last edited by JoeKing on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
looseleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, cheers. I'll try to find out a bit more about the company.

It's teach to travel, in case anyone was wondering.

Anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.teachtotravel.co.uk/
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way I did it too....arrived. Got a sticker in my passport from the school as I recall. had to then leave the country to activate the visa. I don't think it is uncommon or dodgy.....but I am no expert on this.
JoeKing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should add my experience is on the Mainland. But I am pretty sure that HK also takes a dim view of working on a tourist visa. Then again, you never said anything about working on tourist visa...you only mentioned coming over on a tourist visa.
Cool
toko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everyone does the tourist visa-work visa switch. One week is fast, though. It usually takes about a month, in my experience (unless the started processing it already with the immigration department-in which case you should get an application status number).

I just checked out the company's website, and are you really working full days for six days a week? Also, with that salary, you really should have individual accomodation. But, most people start out with a job that has long hours and they sometimes make a switch to a better offer during the year. Check your contract carefully, some companies insist on a 3-month leave notice.

The teaching year goes by really fast here. Very Happy Especially with the holidays in the second term. Good luck!
looseleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've been told that the working week is Monday to Friday with 3 hours on Saturday for 3 times a month. It's bearable.

Ah, so the tourist visa switch isn't too bad then? I don't think I'll be doing any actual work before I get the visa and they said they'd start the visa process before my arrival, so perhaps one week is all they need.

It's only a starting job to get my foot in the door, so to speak. I'll hopefully end up with something better by the end of the year.

Thanks for the feedback Smile
JoeKing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to live and work in Hong Kong, but, sadly, probably never will. Still, I find the difference in the application process from the PRC interesting.

I was wondering, if we on the mainland can go to HK for a visa, where do those in HK go?

From the About.com Hong Kong / Macau Travel site:

http://gohongkong.about.com/od/businessbasics/a/work_visa_HK.htm

"If you obtain work while already in Hong Kong, you can apply for a work visa and the Immigration Service will rarely ask questions. You will have to leave and re-enter Hong Kong to activate the visa."

So, you are not going to Macau to get a visa, you are only going there or anywhere else to activate the visa you already obtained.

Sounds much easier than the mainland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: