Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to TEFL, advice teaching in Hong Kong
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: New to TEFL, advice teaching in Hong Kong Reply with quote

Hi all! I've just joined the forum, as I am planning to move over to Hong Kong very soon, looking to teach english and would like to hear advice from anyone who has already gone through this experience.

I am a british born Chinese with a degree and tefl certificate, but unfortunately no experience, and so am completely new to TEFL/TESOL. I haven't been back to Hong Kong for a few years now (usually I've only gone there for holidays), so I have no clue on the job market there.

Back to the point, I was wondering if it was particularly easy to get into teaching english over there with my qualifications and experience? What is the hiring procedure like? Do a lot of job provide accommodation or help with finding accommodation?

Any help or advice would be great, and nice to meet you all Smile

Dan
Honky Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

I think you would have a pretty good chance of getting something with your qualifications and background. Often it's a case of getting your foot in the door - any door - and looking around for something better while you're there. Or, if you like your first job, just staying there.

There are various recruitment agencies, which will post teachers out to schools. Also, you could apply to kindergartens, primary schools or language centres directly. One recruitment agency I know of is called Eureka. A few friends of mine have found jobs through them and they seem quite nice and professional. That doesn't mean that all the projects will be good, but the people who run the company seem very nice.

http://www.eurekahk.net/default.html

Good luck.
dan17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick! I haven't come across Eureka before but I'll be sure to get in contact with them at some point. No harm with having another option available.

I was also wondering that with my current qualifications and experience, is it worth a shot applying for the Hong Kong NET scheme? (I'm looking at the primary school option). I'm a little confused with the category system. I hold only degree and a tefl certificate, so would that place me into category 4?

I was wondering if there are any british born Chinese or anyone with similar qualifications and experience have applied and have successfully got into it?
Honky Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

They are getting a bit pickier (that is, mostly hiring teachers with teaching degrees); however, they do still hire people with your qualifications, so yes, it is definitely worth applying.

I believe they are hiring now through the EDB, so send off an application asap! The other thing I would recommend is approaching schools directly when you see advertisements in the South China Morning Post or somewhere like that. It doesn't matter if you passed the EDB interview or not: if a school wants you, they will hire you. My biggest advice would be to hustle, hustle, hustle, get as many interviews as you can and learn as much as you can about the NET scheme.

Good luck. If you want any more specific information, feel free to PM me.
looseleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only apply to the NET scheme if your TEFL has more than 100 hours of classroom based teaching. Online TEFLs won't count.
CEB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only apply to the NET scheme if your TEFL has more than 100 hours of classroom based teaching. Online TEFLs won't count.

That's not true. You need a minimum 100 hour TEFL and it states that 20 hours classroom practicum is also required but it's not always the case.

Online TEFL's are accepted.

Best bet is to call the EdB NET section and ask them specifically which online TEFL courses are accepted.

www.teflonline.com and www.onlinetefl.com are two that the EdB accepts. But again, check it out first.
looseleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not what the EDB say on their website.....

http://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/tefl-tesl%20qualification%20for%20pnets.pdf

"The duration of the TESL/TEFL course should include a minimum of 100 contact hours"
CEB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looseleaf wrote:
That's not what the EDB say on their website.....

http://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/tefl-tesl%20qualification%20for%20pnets.pdf

"The duration of the TESL/TEFL course should include a minimum of 100 contact hours"

100 hours of contact time means contact time you spend learning, not teaching.

Maybe I'm not understanding the meaning of your earlier post but you wrote '100 hours of classroom based teaching' and I think you meant to say 100 hours of classroom based learning.

I'm on the NET scheme by the way.
looseleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean 100 hours sitting in a classroom with a teacher, as opposed to being online. I don't think 100 hours of contact time means sending 100 hours worth of emails or talking to a tutor online.

It's not 100 hours of examined teaching, you are the one being taught....in a classroom. Maybe 100 hours of 'learning' is a better way to phrase it as it's a confusing subject when you talk about teaching teaching, lol.

Did you get onto NET with only an online TEFL?
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EdB toss a coin in the morning anyway....just send in the application, and if they say no, ask why and then you know what you need to do to get accepted next time round.
CEB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looseleaf wrote:

Yes, I did.

120hrs of e-mailing as you put it. I checked the course with the EdB before signing up for it and it was one that they accepted.
dan17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, really appreciate all the advice given.

Nick - I had a closer look at Eureka, it turns out they got a partnership with Global English - the same provider where I did my online 150 hour TESOL course. Anyway, I've e-mailed them an application yesterday and am hoping to hear back from them.

This brings me onto my next question. How long should I expect to wait until I hear back from any company? How long on average did you guys had to wait for a reply/interview offer? I've applied to about 13 locations (4 which I applied at the end of December). but so far I've haven't had a single reply from anyone yet.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you probably won't hear either....gone are the days where you even get an acknowledgement email...the only people that usually take a long time to get back to you, if they like you, are universities. Smaller schools / hakwons / government schools? You won't hear anything unless they want to interview you.
looseleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEB wrote:
looseleaf wrote:

Yes, I did.

120hrs of e-mailing as you put it. I checked the course with the EdB before signing up for it and it was one that they accepted.

Which TEFL course did you do? I'm just curious as I have an online TEFL and I'd like to apply to NET Smile
CEB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.teflonline.com

But again, you should check for yourself with the EdB before you register for any online course to make sure that they will accept it.

Good luck with the application, you mentioned how hard it is to get into but remember, without a PGDE and no experience in the HK public school system, I think your chances are even lower. If you are applying from outside of HK then I think your chances are close to 0. Not impossible but pretty improbable.

Best bet is to come here, get some local experience and get some boots on the ground when applying to schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: