Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job offer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonethecrow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Job offer Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I have been out of Poland for a few months but a job offer I received recently seems extortionate.

24 hours (45 mins each) to adults/teens in a language school in a small town.
2100zl per month after tax, with a shared apartment too, bills only

So, do you think it's worth taking it? Will I have any money to do anything other than eat and occasionally travel to a nearby city??
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a better one on the TEFL board right now. Think it was 2350 net for 24 X 45 and accommodation in Tarnobrzeg plus travel allowance of 400.

Shared accommodations is a personal decision. I know too many bad situations to ever get into one of those again unless things are dire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Job offer Reply with quote

stonethecrow wrote:
Maybe it's because I have been out of Poland for a few months but a job offer I received recently seems extortionate.

24 hours (45 mins each) to adults/teens in a language school in a small town.
2100zl per month after tax, with a shared apartment too, bills only

So, do you think it's worth taking it? Will I have any money to do anything other than eat and occasionally travel to a nearby city??

Assuming your shared accom. is worth 500zl/month, you'd actually be making 36zl/60 min. This is a pretty lousy wage, even for a smaller town in Poland. I wouldn't take this unless you're desperate. The one positive thing about that job is that you'd only be teaching 18 real hours a week, so there would be plenty time for private lessons.

For the sake of comparison, 60zl/60min in Warsaw and 50-55zl/60min in other bigger Polish cities are easily achievable.
stonethecrow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Yeh, it doesn't seem a good hourly wage. Would you say living with other teachers is an advantage or not?

I have still got some schools in Krakow, including a Callan method school, who are interested but don't provide accommodation. Considering my lack of experience (one decent UK summer camp and a few private lessons) is there much room for me to negotiate?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Yeah don't go near this. On a language school wage you'll experience the 'Polish reality' but without the family support.

You'll earn the princely sum of 70Zl a day.

If you had to live on that, you'd have to avoid taxis, restaurants and nipping for coffees when you feel like it. Forget buying clothes like winter jackets and shoes. Don't even dream of buying a bottle of wine in a restaurant or travelling. Then there's dating....I don't care what anyone says on this board, but Polish girls think guys who go Dutch are cheapskates.....at least that's what my dozens of Polish female friends have told me over many years.

If you had to 'survive' you could but your life would be one of gawking at the net, going for walks, streaming TV, going for a beer in the 5Zl bar and eating parowkas.

The ultimate skinflint 'Survivorman' lifestyle might look like this-

Breakfast: Parowkas and bread=2-3Zl
Lunch: Milk bar soup and bread=3ZL
Dinner: Kebab w bulce=11...or go cheap with a Gorace Kubek.
Bottle of water 1.5L=1.5Zl

Not much fun. Add fun and it looks like this-

Cinema=25Zl (without drink/popcorn etc 50 with)
JD and coke=10-15Zl
Trip to Berlin from Poznan=190Zl each way (I took this train 3 weeks ago)
Bowling=About 60Zl for the lane for 1 hour ( I go with my son often)
A main course in a sh*t restaurant=20Zl ( I don't eat in them) plus beer 6-8Zl
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonethecrow wrote:
Yeh, it doesn't seem a good hourly wage. Would you say living with other teachers is an advantage or not?
You're going to relocate to a city where you know very few people, if anyone. Having a roommate is a great way to ensure you have someone to hang out with. You'll probably meet quite a few people through him/her as well.

Of course, rooming with someone is rolling the dice a bit - you could get a weirdo. But you can always move out if they're a pain.

stonethecrow wrote:
I have still got some schools in Krakow, including a Callan method school, who are interested but don't provide accommodation. Considering my lack of experience (one decent UK summer camp and a few private lessons) is there much room for me to negotiate?
It really depends how desperate they are. Have you at least got a tefl cert? If not, don't expect to do much negotiating.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't share. On occasions in the past, I've done it and here is a list of what I got;

1-A religious nut. (9 months)
2-A drink and drug addled guy into Polish rap (4 weeks)
3-A manic depressive. (4 months)
4-A tight arse. (2 months)
5-A nice guy from Yorkshire, who NEVER left the flat. (9months)
6-A demanding, neurotic (Polish ex-wife Smile (Far too long)

All but numbers 2 and 6 were provided through schools and were part of the contract.

1 and 5 were very early on in my career. 2 was me renting a room for the summer and 3 was a short contract I did during my war evacuation. Number 4 wasn't so bad as I also had another place to live and didn't see him much.

If you live with another teacher, you'll hang with other teachers probably......and that is never good.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Cinema=25Zl (without drink/popcorn etc 50 with)

Perhaps if you go to Multikino. But you can do what many others do and go to the small independent cinemas and see decent films at a decent price - I've forgotten how many good films I've seen that I would never have bothered to watch otherwise by going to them. Can't argue with 5zl tickets and a random film. Then you've got Orange Wednesdays and many other promotions - for a tiny bit of effort, there's no need to pay full whack for a film.

Quote:
Trip to Berlin from Poznan=190Zl each way (I took this train 3 weeks ago)

190zl? How did you manage that, given the walk-up price for the Berlin-Warszawa-Express is 29 euro to Berlin and advance tickets - 20? PolskiBus and SimpleExpress have tickets each way for no more than 60zl at the last minute - and with a bit of planning, normally much less. The bus is actually better than the train - they have free wifi and power sockets, and doesn't take much longer!

Quote:
Bowling=About 60Zl for the lane for 1 hour ( I go with my son often)

Depends when you go. 60zl for a lane isn't bad at all - given that bowling is a social activity, it works out at 10zl per person for an hour. Very reasonable. And a quick look on the Poznan Plaza website shows us that from 10:00-17:00, you can bowl for 8zl per person per game. Teachers tend to work unsociable hours, hence going bowling in the middle of the day is no big deal.

Quote:
A main course in a sh*t restaurant=20Zl ( I don't eat in them) plus beer 6-8Zl

Too good for Molly's, the Pyra Bar, Sorella and the rest, are we? They might not be upscale dining establishments, but the food is perfectly good and the service is fine. If it's good enough for the locals, then it's surely good enough for anyone else.

To the OP - if you want a way to get the foot in the door, it's not a bad offer. I'd be asking them for 20 rather than 24 hours, but apart from that, it'll be a good way to get in the door. The lack of qualifications will hurt you, and it's far more advisable to work in a "proper" school than a Callan school - so all in all, if you want a way to start, go ahead!

(although - if the school is in a remote-ish part of Poland and nowhere near the Slovakian/Lithuanian/Czech borders, I'd look for more money)
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Erm Reply with quote

Now you're arguing about a train price I paid 3 weeks ago Delph. I have the receipt...it's on my desk!

Yes, I do go to Multikino...it's where you see the latest films.

And bowling involves food and drinks on top...so go figure...oh and getting there and back.

Burger and chips in Whiskey in the Jar=33Zl and in Browaria 29Zl.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am double-posting for the reality checks of living in Poland:

Some Realities:

Roundtrip train ticket from Gdansk to Malbork (great place, loved the town and the Castle) was 40 zl. purchased 4 days in advance.

Two nights in a fantastic hotel was 270zl (my half). Breakfast was included (scrambled eggs, sausages & bekon served hot with toast, butter, cold-cuts & 6 types of cheeses, bottomless tea and coffee, yogurt, cereal, etc. and 24-hour filter-brewed coffee & tea. The room was better than any I have stayed excepting for the 5-star Bristol in Warsaw.

Admission to the Castle ran 40zl and was 5 hours of history, climbing, exhibits and culture.

Dinner right on the riverbank (grilled kolbasa, kraut, fried potatoes and beer) was 32 zl because I split an order of ribs with a friend after eating the grilled kolbasa and the only s--- involved was from the horses used during the faux knights jousting exhibition which we watched while eating.

Had my favorite pierogi ruskie at dinner one evening, my friend had raki (crayfish) for an appetizer and sliced pork in some sort of red mushroom sauce. We also had raviloi appetitzers, two beers, split a milk shake (disappointing) and two after-dinner coffees, all of which ran to 128 zl. I am certain I would have noticed if there had been any s--- nearby.

Lunch on Sunday (late) was again grilled kolbasa (different place, but equally well-done!) with beers, followed by ice cream chasers. Cost was 19 zl including the ice cream. Again, I am pretty sure we would have noticed if there was any s--- around.

Total costs for me were 465 zl if I added correctly.

I also bought a good pair of sneakers for 99zl at a shoe store, a box of 10 bandaids, some Lipton green tea, three disposable razors and.....2 AA batteries for my camera - that came to 22 zl.

All in all, a fantastic, long weekend, mini-vacation.

Oh wait, I bought an Egg McMuffin, hash browns and coffee at the train station which I ate on the train. That was another 17 zl I think.

Life amongst the normal folk...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Now you're arguing about a train price I paid 3 weeks ago Delph. I have the receipt...it's on my desk!

Looks like you're right, the walk up fare has gone up to 39 euro. However, book a few days in advance and there's an abundance of 19 euro tickets - can't imagine many people are actually going to Berlin without planning it at least a few days in advance. There's even a little office in the centre that sells DB tickets without commission - no need whatsoever to go near the train station.

In respect to train tickets, I went from Stockholm via Copenhagen and Hamburg to Berlin last year for 39 euro each. Not a bad deal at all. If you look at the right time, you can even pick up Berlin-London tickets for 49 Euro. I even found tickets to Vienna for 29 euro from Poznan a while ago.

Quote:
Yes, I do go to Multikino...it's where you see the latest films.

Must admit, haven't been thrilled by anything in the cinema at all - all the good films I've seen recently have been as a result of just dropping into one of the independent cinemas and watching whatever the hell was on there. The atmosphere is better (far less kids), the staff are better, the experience is exactly the same - and so on.

Quote:
And bowling involves food and drinks on top...so go figure...oh and getting there and back.

Does bowling always involve food and drinks? I don't remember ever bothering with those things (well, perhaps a beer) when living in the UK. Anyway, the cost of bowling is very well priced for a young person who doesn't have kids and treats it as a social occasion - which the OP probably is.

Quote:
Burger and chips in Whiskey in the Jar=33Zl and in Browaria 29Zl.

Must admit, neither of those places do good burgers. I forget the name of the place on Garbary, but it does excellent ones, as does Molly's and Swieta Krowa on Kwiatowa.

Brovaria is the last place I'd go for a burger - beer, sure, but not a burger. Don't even think I've seen anyone eating them there.

The truth of the matter is - as always with these threads - it depends on the expectation of the person coming. For a person starting their career and with a reasonable ounce of sense, they should have no problem finding bigger and better things once they're in Poland.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burger and beer at Original Burger in Gdansk = 20 zl. Great burger.

Another option is to go to Billy's where it comes with fries for 15.90 but you buy the beer of your choice for 6-9. Again, a good burger.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Original Burger the one on the main street there?

If so, I tried to go there three times - every time, the place was packed!
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it. I also like this new Billy's location. Their steaks aren't so great but they try, then there's ribs, burgers and they service corn on the cob, beans and a halfway decent coleslaw at a not too extravagant price.

OB will give you frequent buyer card good for 10% from normal prices if you tell them you live here.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't share. On occasions in the past, I've done it and here is a list of what I got;

1-A religious nut. (9 months)
2-A drink and drug addled guy into Polish rap (4 weeks)
3-A manic depressive. (4 months)
4-A tight arse. (2 months)
5-A nice guy from Yorkshire, who NEVER left the flat. (9months)
6-A demanding, neurotic (Polish ex-wife Smile (Far too long)

All but numbers 2 and 6 were provided through schools and were part of the contract.

1 and 5 were very early on in my career. 2 was me renting a room for the summer and 3 was a short contract I did during my war evacuation. Number 4 wasn't so bad as I also had another place to live and didn't see him much.

If you live with another teacher, you'll hang with other teachers probably......and that is never good.
Laughing This laundry list of (mostly negative) labels for your roommates makes me wonder what they would say about YOU, dp. Were you 'that guy who's always getting ripped off on cinemas, bowling, winter jackets, restaurants, trains and expensive drinks'?

For someone who's been in PL 'longer than any of us' I marvel at your ability to underestimate teachers' potential earning in PL, all the while vastly overestimating expenses, especially on entertainment.

You can play the 'it doesn't matter cuz I'm rich' card all you like, but it must sting at least a little to know that most of us 'newbies' here are having a similar experience to you in PL, but paying a fraction of the price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: