Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hoping to teach in Rome...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
00bond

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Hoping to teach in Rome... Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm hoping to teach in Rome this fall. I've done alot of research and read a few books on ESL, but I wanted to know if there are any tip or tricks I should know about. I'm planning on coming over in the fall anyway, and although I looking for a job now I'm thinking it might be a search when I get there kinda thing.

As well, is $800 Euro a good monthy wage in Rome? From the other forums, it seems at par but is it?

Just some info on me, I'm 25 w/o kids (I have a girlfriend already living in Rome) have a BSc in Biology and Anthropology and a TEFL course.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Caroline

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am working in central Italy.

800 Euros a month is not a good wage for Rome because the rent there is quite high (you could end up spending half of your wages on rent!) You should be looking for over 1000 a month, especially since you've done a TEFL course.

Also, your job search will be much easier if you have an EU (European Union) passport. If not, the best jobs will be closed to you.
00bond

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Caroline.

Unfortunately I cannot get a EU passport. I have even tried to get one through the UK (my grandfather was British) but the ancestry visa is only good in the UK. I do realise that this is a great hinderance for my job search.

Thanks for your advice about pay. I will continue my job search, and hope I find something before I come over. I'm trying all my connections and searching the internet daily.

Thanks again.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A British passport is fine for working in Italy, because Britain is part of Europe. In fact, any European passport is fine for Italy - the important thing is that you're European.

I'm not sure on visas though. Are you saying that you can only get a work visa for the UK and not a passport?
00bond

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the British embassy a few months ago hoping that I could get a EU passport because my grandfather was British. They told me that I could only apply for an ancestry visa, which is good for 3 years ONLY in the UK. I even asked since the UK was technically the EU, would it be good all anywhere in the EU and was told no, only in the UK.

I find that getting the visa is the most frustrating and difficult part. I have to deal with the consulate in Montreal, which I heard is notoriously bad. I don't mind the job search as much as all the headaches of getting all the paperwork.

If anyone out there knows of anything I can do to further my hopes of getting a EU passport and saving all the headaches, let me know. I'm currently trying to find another realitive that has some EU country ties, but I think it's going to be slim pickings.
go2guy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting married to a European citizen is another option. So what nationality is your girlfriend?! If she's European & marriage is in your plans you might want to advance those plans somewhat! If she's not European, well I'm afraid it's back to the old drawing board. Any chance you can market yourself to a company in Rome for a job in something other than teaching for starters?

That's about the best I can offer. Good luck!
00bond

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's Italian, but marriage is not in the plans yet! I was talking to my parents and they said that I have a variety of relatives from a variety of countries (most of them with a great or grand prefix); Belgium, Ireland, England. I'm going to try that option again.

As for another type of job, I've been scouring the job ads for anything. I'm not picky for the job type. I thought that teaching English would be the easiest route to go over.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Irish grandparents count (or used to). Ireland has one of the more liberal policies concerning citizenship. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: