Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I bring my laptop to TESOL course in San Cristo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandrousmuse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Should I bring my laptop to TESOL course in San Cristo? Reply with quote

I arrive in Cancun on January 5, so I will have a few weeks of traveling before I arrive in San Cristobal de las Casas to begin classes February 3. When I inquired about a computer lab, administration advised I bring a laptop. I've read that San Cristo. has many internet cafes, but has anyone taken such a course (or this course at the Insituto Jovel Tesol International) and been able to get by just using internet cafes/computer labs?

When I studied abroad in Mexico City, I spent my first six weeks without a laptop and used internet cafes to write the 2 - 3 two-page papers I had to turn in each week. Would this work with a TESOL course with what I'm sure is a heavier workload?

Has anyone taken a TESOL course and wished/ been grateful they'd had a laptop?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring your laptop...you'll miss it if you don't. Even if you don't find a lot of wifi hotspots, you'd probably be happier bringing it into the internet cafes to do your work.

I don't know that particular course provider but I'd take their advice...you'll want the laptop. Do they offer a computer lab if needed?

I teach a similar course and I'm used to working with students on tablets or phones at this point. We have a computer lab that just about no one uses now except for posadas and young learner programs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wandrousmuse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, thanks for the advice! Though it hasn't been that long since I was last in school, I have a nostalgia for just taking notes the old-fashioned way (pen and paper) and going to the computer lab/ library to write my papers. I also remember from my time in D. F. that the presence of my laptop caused me to shut myself off from my surroundings. But, you're right: I would miss it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: