Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haitian American Institute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koko987

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Haitian American Institute Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a friend out in Haiti and I've been trying to get a job there teaching English. I have an MA in TESOL and a CELTA, although my only experience is volunteering in Africa for a couple of months.

I've been trying to secure a job with HAI for the past couple of months (as far as I know, it is the only reputable English language school in Haiti). Their email responses have been sporadic, and even my friend has visited the school in person and has been unable to find out if I would stand a chance of getting full time work there.

I wondered if anyone has any experience of the school and whether it would be worth pursuing this any further?
From what I have heard, the salary may not be enough to get by given the remarkably high cost of living in Haiti. I was considering just getting a flight and going there, but the flights are notoriously difficult and expensive (few, if any, direct flights from Europe).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
cassava

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom:

Haiti hires most of its English language teachers from nearby Caribbean countries. Jamaica is next door and Anglophone islands like Trinidad, Grenada and Barbados are not too far away.

However, if you are hell-bent on going to teach in Haiti, you might stand a fair chance if you are a fluent speaker of French and you are qualified to teach subjects such as computer science, maths and physics. In other words, your chances of success with ESL are dim.

Also, I would advise against flying down to Haiti in the hope of looking for a job unless you have specific skills that are required in the country. To do otherwise would simply be a waste of money. Even if you apply for a teaching position, your lack of teaching experience will be a major handicap.

I wish I could be more positive, but I think you need to confront the reality of the situation. Good luck.
koko987

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cassava. I am beginning to realise that EFL teaching in Haiti is not a viable option for me at the present time. Unfortunately my French is not by any means fluent, which, added to my relative lack of experience, would really count against me. I appreciate your honesty.

I really had hoped to go there. Maybe I will still go and visit. I would suggest to anyone not nearly as narrow-minded as the earlier poster about Haiti (a few years ago, in this forum) to go and check the country out yourselves. By all accounts things are looking up there and it really is a beautiful country.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haiti is a very poor country...if you really want to teach English there you must volunteer.....and there are a load of requirements needed to do that. Why teach in a country that makes YOU pay for the privilege of working there? Shocked
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Haiti is a very poor country...if you really want to teach English there you must volunteer.....and there are a load of requirements needed to do that. Why teach in a country that makes YOU pay for the privilege of working there? Shocked

Have you had a mindset operation? Just recently you were promoting the idea of volunteering in Kerala and previously in Nepal....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: