Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private tutoring in Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcharteacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Private tutoring in Kuwait Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I heard from many teachers currently in Kuwait that a great way to make extra cash is by private tutoring.
Is it really that effective? Is it worth the time? How much on average can it add to your salary? Also, is it difficult to get students to tutor (numbers of students, from people who done it please)
What is the average hourly wage that you ask for?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to do as much research as I can to make the transition easier!

Thank you all in advance
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Private tutoring in Kuwait Reply with quote

fcharteacher wrote:
I heard from many teachers currently in Kuwait that a great way to make extra cash is by private tutoring.
Is it really that effective? Is it worth the time? How much on average can it add to your salary? Also, is it difficult to get students to tutor (numbers of students, from people who done it please)
What is the average hourly wage that you ask for?

It would seem the best source of info on private tutoring would be those current teachers who you're personally hearing from.
3xlucky

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: tutoring in Q8 Reply with quote

Well,

Tutoring is certainly a mainstay in Kuwait. If you have the right teachable(s) (Physics, Chem, Math, Eng, etc.) you can double your income or at least come close to it with private tutoring. With that said, technically private tutoring is illegal as you are not allowed to accept money for any jobs other than who sponsors you. For example, UAS sets up the tutoring at school for their teachers, collects the money and then issues you the balance at the end of the month. Last I checked teachers made 10KD an hour. The upside, you start as soon as school ends, it's in your room, and your can put in 3 hours and be home by 5:30.

However, once established the private tutoring is more lucrative but has its own hassles. Currently, for HS I would say that most are charging 20KD, but there is still a range from 12 to 20. Most families will try and haggle or cut a deal if you come 5 times a week. That is the key. A steady family that pays weekly or daily and always wants you to come. Two families like that and you have tons of pocket money and savings for travel. Most families will arrange transport for you, if you have to take a taxi, make them pay. With that said, the downside is you are often tutoring into the later parts of the evening and if you are going between multiple locations you have to deal with traffic...hours of time lost. I used to tutor a lot, but since I had children I no longer do. Inevitably, if you are tutoring your teaching will suffer, there are many teachers who are running to clock out in order to make their extra money.

As a first time arrival in Kuwait getting started is slow. It is all word of mouth but as the first quarter reports come out, tutoring picks up. There are some private companies like Sylvan and Oxford, again pay is lower, but less hassle.

It's all up to you though. The tutoring life can get addicting (money in hand) but your life becomes consumed. Striking a balance is key.

Good luck.
ThoughtRocket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just arrived in Q8. I heard 10 KD/hr for tutoring. Not sure how to go about finding students though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: