Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Tesol with In-Class Practicum?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Online Tesol with In-Class Practicum? Reply with quote

Hi there,

After researching the subject a bit, it seems to be quite clear that there's nothing that compares to a CELTA or a Trinity CertTESOL.

Unfortunately it's very difficult for me to take 5-6 weeks off work to complete one of those courses, not to mention the cost involved as well (I'm on a bit of a tight budget right now).

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the 120-Hour Online TEFL Certificate through ontesol.com, considering I would also be taking the optional In-Class Practicum.

I'm a Native English speaker with a B.Comm and no teaching experience. I would like the opportunity to work in Malaysia. I don't mind working in less desirable locations (small towns, remote areas etc.) as long as I am qualified enough to get my foot in the door.

I may want to look into the Middle East in the future, but for now my main goal is to teach in Malaysia.

Also, would it be advisable to get certified and fly out to Malaysia and look for opportunities? Or would it be best to stay at home and simply apply online?

Thanks!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insight? Sure. Waste of time and money. Don't waste either.
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:

So is it safe to assume.. CELTA or Trinity, or don't bother?

I live in Toronto, would I be better off doing my certifications at home or searching for a certification program in Malaysia?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Online Tesol with In-Class Practicum? Reply with quote

TheStudent wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the 120-Hour Online TEFL Certificate through ontesol.com, considering I would also be taking the optional In-Class Practicum.

I'm a Native English speaker with a B.Comm and no teaching experience. I would like the opportunity to work in Malaysia. I don't mind working in less desirable locations (small towns, remote areas etc.) as long as I am qualified enough to get my foot in the door.

I may want to look into the Middle East in the future, but for now my main goal is to teach in Malaysia.

Do more research; employers in the Middle East won't accept an online TEFL cert even if it includes supervised teaching practice. Also, your unrelated BA will only qualify you for jobs in Saudi Arabia working for a contracting company---many of which are sketchy.
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Online Tesol with In-Class Practicum? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Do more research; employers in the Middle East won't accept an online TEFL cert even if it includes supervised teaching practice. Also, your unrelated BA will only qualify you for jobs in Saudi Arabia working for a contracting company---many of which are sketchy.

Thank you for your response... I will definitely continue to research.

Are there any reliable TEFL certificates that you know of, outside of CELTA/Trinity? Even if I could take out the time to do a 5 week course, I don't think I could afford the $2500 for a CELTA right now.

I don't mind Saudi Arabia at all to be honest. Is it possible to get in without teaching experience?

Sketchy in what way? Low pay, undesirable locations, etc? Or are we talking about flat out scams here?

Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Online Tesol with In-Class Practicum? Reply with quote

TheStudent wrote:
I don't mind Saudi Arabia at all to be honest. Is it possible to get in without teaching experience?

Sketchy in what way? Low pay, undesirable locations, etc? Or are we talking about flat out scams here?

Saudi Arabia is not the place to go as a newbie with zero experience; you'd only catch the eye of the most notorious Saudi contracting companies if at all. Head to the Saudi forum for info on working there, but seriously, Asia should be your first destination for getting your initial experience.
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Online Tesol with In-Class Practicum? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Saudi Arabia is not the place to go as a newbie with zero experience; you'd only catch the eye of the most notorious Saudi contracting companies if at all. Head to the Saudi forum for info on working there, but seriously, Asia should be your first destination for getting your initial experience.

Thanks Nomad... To be honest, I'm a bit weary of Asia, simply due to the fact I'm a Muslim. I don't know how much concession (if any), I will be given in places like China or Korea in regards to scheduling so that I do not miss prayers and things of that nature. I also hear it's pretty tough, especially in Korea to find food that's in accordance to my dietary restrictions.

This is why I was basically thinking about Malaysia or the Middle East.

Thank you.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the job market there, but parts of Indonesia are also predominantly Muslim.
teenoso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia may be a tough market for a newbie, because English is a common language there , so there are probably plenty of local teachers who can teach spoken English, and therefore not so many opportunities for foreign teachers ...
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStudent wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:

So is it safe to assume.. CELTA or Trinity, or don't bother?

I live in Toronto, would I be better off doing my certifications at home or searching for a certification program in Malaysia?

If you have been looking at the Ontesol course, you must know that Coventry House offers a Trinity cert course in Toronto? $1,000 last I knew, maybe slightly more now.

Lack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this OP: it's not an online cert if your certificate doesn't say it was taken online. Get me? That's how to get around that little prejudice some employers may have.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember this OP: it's not an online cert if your certificate doesn't say it was taken online. Get me? That's how to get around that little prejudice some employers may have.

Not universally true - this only works in places where employers are not familiar with cert courses Rolling Eyes
Lack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Not universally true - this only works in places where employers are not familiar with cert courses Rolling Eyes

Well, they still have to have a way to figure out that it was taken online. Assuming the company you got it from doesn't spill the beans, you gather up a few photos of your travels and show the potential employer where you took the course...*wink wink*
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack wrote:
spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Well, they still have to have a way to figure out that it was taken online. Assuming the company you got it from doesn't spill the beans, you gather up a few photos of your travels and show the potential employer where you took the course...*wink wink*

Lack, there's this little thing now called the internet. It can spill the details about any course on the planet. And Ontesol, for example, (the course provider the OP was asking about) is well known for its on-line course. Wink Wink

spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Surprisingly, those of us who read lots and lots of CVs actually are familiar with many of the cert courses and what they entail. If not, as Xie Lin notes, there is this thing called 'internet.' Wink, wink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: