Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colombia - my experience teaching in a colegio licensed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tudman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Colombia - my experience teaching in a colegio licensed Reply with quote

Having been in the international teaching circuit I decided to embark on an opportunity to live and work in colombia. It is a beautiful country IMHO but that is for another discussion.

Being a foreign hire my visa, flight, housing and school transport was taken care by the school. There are schools that don't include school transport. There are pluses and minuses to this but it's free,so not bad.

It is true, the foreign staff are paid much more than local hires who typically do more work than you.

The school policies may make you go crazy regarding discipline or what have you. In general the kids are great aside from the few bad apples who you hope don't show up for a day.

Once here, you will meet all sorts of people and even find jobs through them.

The money people say is in bogota. You can still work in nice places like manizales for a bit less, but you get less headache with the traffic of BTA.

If you get into a colegio that isn't a great situation be it $$wise or its philosophy, stick it out. Pay your dues and move onto something greener when the opportunity comes, patience is a virtue.

Salaries vary, but you are looking around $20-25k per year to start in many colegios plus your package.

Opportunities to tutor are greater in bogota to supplement your income. Many teachers do it.

Check international teaching boards that focus on licensed teachers if you are searching for specific schools. That information you learn may make you avoid certain schools.

Any questions, ask away
ISSAKAB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Colegio Reply with quote

Thanks, that's an interesting and helpful post. Colombia is a country I m considering having heard that there is strong demand for teachers and positive things about the place. Can you explain what a colegio is, please and also the other kinds of places you can work.
I have an MA, CELTA, four years experience in Europe and West Africa so am thinking of buying a flight to Bogota or Medellin and hustling my CV around.
My most recent experience is in Spain.
tudman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, read up on more threads regarding best "ideal" time to come to colombia. This will tell you when most places are hiring for their upcoming "season".

Your quals look impressive but to secure a job in a colegio (basic k-12) school you will need a teaching license. Your best bet would be language centres like berlitz etc. those bigger chains will most likely sponsor your work visa.

Bogota would be your best bet to start working and making some money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: