Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7,000 EGP + Free Room-Good for Low Qualifications?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: 7,000 EGP + Free Room-Good for Low Qualifications? Reply with quote

I have a job offer at an international school in Cairo that would pay 7,000 EGP per month + free room in Heliopolis. The school offers reimbursement of round trip airfare (as I'm currently in the US) but this is capped at 7,000 EGP, and they will only do the reimbursement once completing the 1 year contract.

If I've calculated it correctly, 7,000 EGP is about equal to $1,000 per month, which would be poverty wages if it were in the US. But, how does this compare to the standard of living in Cairo?

For prior experience, I just have 7 months ESL teaching experience in the Philippines, with a Bachelor's in Political Science, and I do not have any ESL certification.

Are there better options in Egypt (or Jordan for that matter) for someone with my qualifications?

-Thanks for your help
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that you have no credentials and not even one year of experience, this is about all that you are worth. Cool I'm not trying to be mean, but I think that you know that.

Yes, it will be living frugally on the local economy at that money. You said "free room" and you might want to confirm how many people you are sharing this place with... and how many you are sharing the bathroom with... and whether you can deal with the answer.

Another question is whether they will be providing you with a legal work visa. If I were you, I wouldn't consider this without corresponding with some current expat teachers to find out if they bother to get you a legal work visa... and if they ever bother to reimburse you for the flights.

To be honest, if you don't want to be involved with some seriously abusive employers, I suggest that you, at the least, get yourself a CELTA. You could likely do one in Cairo at the British Council. Check the BC website.

VS
Big_H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS pointed out the TEFL career aspect, but in terms of lifestyle, 7k is more than enough to get by in Cairo even if you decide to rent your own -decent- furnished apartment which would range between 2.5-3.5k (including the foreigner-ripoff factor). The fact that you are single and do not have any dependents helps with your everyday life expenses too.

One more thing is to NEVER come to work on a tourist visa based on any kind of future promises, it is illegal in all cases and is the foundation of most employers' forms of abuse.

- A local Egyptian
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: 7,000 EGP + Free Room-Good for Low Qualifications? Reply with quote

rbos wrote:
I have a job offer at an international school in Cairo that would pay 7,000 EGP per month + free room in Heliopolis. The school offers reimbursement of round trip airfare (as I'm currently in the US) but this is capped at 7,000 EGP, and they will only do the reimbursement once completing the 1 year contract.

If I've calculated it correctly, 7,000 EGP is about equal to $1,000 per month, which would be poverty wages if it were in the US. But, how does this compare to the standard of living in Cairo?

For prior experience, I just have 7 months ESL teaching experience in the Philippines, with a Bachelor's in Political Science, and I do not have any ESL certification.

Are there better options in Egypt (or Jordan for that matter) for someone with my qualifications?

-Thanks for your help

You could live decently on 7,000 LE with accommodations included.

Insist that your work visa must be sorted out before you come. Is it possible to acquire one after you arrive? Yes, it is. However, once you are in the country you are vulnerable and if you choose to work without the proper permission (as many do), you have no protection. Unless something has changed - and it's certainly possible - a Bachelors degree (in any subject) and two years of verifiable teaching experience are required for a work permit. Your school may have the "wasta" (influence) to get around that or, like I said, the sun may have come up and the law changed ... again.

Why isn't the school offering transportation as is customary? You'll want to suggest maybe they forgot because you wouldn't want to offend anyone, but really, transportation is standard for white collar jobs in general and I would say compulsory for teachers, particularly foreign teachers. While you're at it, you will want to talk about health insurance. Honestly, if the school doesn't offer that, keep shopping for a different job because health care is as good as one can afford out of pocket otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: